Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11

post pictures of that Twin Turbo 959...
+959 ^^

Old 05-01-2014, 04:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Love the car and the concept. I really wanted to try it as well.

You would have been better off doing it to a 964 as it would be easier from what i have learned.

I too looked at the L.A Dismantler parts and really got excited.

I spoke with a Speedster builder and got quickly discouraged however....
I am sure you will get the coles notes along the way but right off the bat the rear fenders gotta come off...

To do it right you can get into $150k by the time you are completed total cost involved.

You might be ahead of the game if you ship it to 9M and eat the VAT tax for ease of trouble shooting some of the issues you will incounter....

Kudos for going for it!

When you decide to throw in the towel I will take the whole project off your hands. Just shoot me a PM now to put me on file
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for all the welcomes and positive comments......

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Cant wait to watch this one! Congrats. Please just make sure they do the structural items additional structural items that are preferred. See Curve lover for more info. Notice I didn't say required...just preferred.
Yes, I agree with you for a widebody version.... i'm keeping this narrow body.... i don't want to lose those 5 km/h "The wide body is widely acclaimed for its rear looks, but creates more aerodynamic drag, leading to slightly lower top speeds compared to the narrower siblings (about 5 km/h)." -wikipedia

From Mayfield Company Website we can deduce the following about the 993 Speedster Narrowbody:
A 964 RS America has a Cd value of 0.320
A 964 Speedster has a Cd value of 0.310
A difference of (0.010)

A 993 Carrera has a Cd value of 0.330
So, For a 993 Speedster (narrowbody) the Cd value is most likely 0.320

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Cool! Welcome!!! This looks like a fun project. So you're keeping it a narrow body?
Or you can say..... 5 km/h faster!! (its the same thing... narrow body=5km/h faster...... widebody=5km/h slower)

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
OP, I like where your head is at. Looks like a fantastic project and will yield something special. Depending on your wife's tastes, I would reconsider Bilstein HDs for dampers. They are on the firm side. Perhaps some Koni adjustables would be more suitable.
My wife is a speed demon..... she would drive a F1 car on the street if it was allowed!

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Good luck with the project. For the exhaust, I'd suspect she'll want a more mellow sound so perhaps Fister Stage 1 mufflers. Down the road if it becomes your car you can either step up the modification to Stage 2 or 3 OR add a sport cat x-pipe and it will sound great!
THANK YOU for that... I'm going for the Fister (what a strange name) Stage 2

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Love the car and the concept. I really wanted to try it as well.

You would have been better off doing it to a 964 as it would be easier from what i have learned.

I too looked at the L.A Dismantler parts and really got excited.

I spoke with a Speedster builder and got quickly discouraged however....
I am sure you will get the coles notes along the way but right off the bat the rear fenders gotta come off...

To do it right you can get into $150k by the time you are completed total cost involved.

You might be ahead of the game if you ship it to 9M and eat the VAT tax for ease of trouble shooting some of the issues you will incounter....

Kudos for going for it!

When you decide to throw in the towel I will take the whole project off your hands. Just shoot me a PM now to put me on file
Thanks i guess..... especially for the "taking the project off my hands"..... I'm extremely confident of LA Dismantlers abilities.... I was very clear about my ideas, construction and the project. Some people referred to "issues" with past projects, but the truth is, we can't know what their budget was and if the budget caused corners to be cut. When money is no object and the words "do it the right way" come out of the clients mouth, that is when the owner takes note and takes charge. Having said all that we will all have to wait and see. (Todd, Daniel... i'm going out on a limb vouching for you guys )

Everyone please remember.... my spiritual advisor on the entire project is curve lover.... he won't let me make a wrong turn on this thing.... -Ben
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Curve Lover will be a major bonus in this build.

When you pull the fenders to incorporate the additional stiffeners required in the sill sections will you go back to narrow body fenders or switch to widebody fenders?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:08 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Almost to the point of no return.....

Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

So that's the easy bit - it'll get interesting from here on in!!!!
Memories - https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-detail-5.html
G
Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
So that's the easy bit - it'll get interesting from here on in!!!!
Memories - https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-detail-5.html
G
Yes.... that much i know.... now comes the "point of no return"
Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While I know there is a huge cost difference and in no way is this meant as a dig to your project, I am not sure I would have anyone besides 9M build me a Speedster. Their workmanship and attention to detail is just amazing.

Best of luck with the transformation, I am sure it will come out awesome!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:02 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

More Speedsters is always a good thing, sound like your schedule is impossibly aggressive considering the work to be done even leaving the car narrow body.

Rear and side inner bulkheads all have to be cut into and Speedster specific metal grafted in to accommodate the top and clamshell armature. A-pillar tops and dash under structure also cut and grafted for the removeable windshield frame... same, same ...

Since your not removing the rear quarters, much of this welding work will be done with one side 'blind'. I would have a long discussion with the people doing the metal work about making sure they are using techniques and chemicals that ensure the welds are sealed on the blind side when finished .. especially since your going to be using the car on the East coast. Solid sealed welds both sides are essential to avoid corrosion/failure because there's a lot of stress loads and twisting going on in these critical areas of the 993 convertible chassis.
Good luck with the project .. it will be fun to see it come together.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:13 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Rear and side inner bulkheads all have to be cut into and Speedster specific metal grafted in to accommodate the top and clamshell armature. A-pillar tops and dash under structure also cut and grafted for the removeable windshield frame... same, same ...

Since your not removing the rear quarters, much of this welding work will be done with one side 'blind'. I would have a long discussion with the people doing the metal work about making sure they are using techniques and chemicals that ensure the welds are sealed on the blind side when finished .. especially since your going to be using the car on the East coast. Solid sealed welds both sides are essential to avoid corrosion/failure because there's a lot of stress loads and twisting going on in these critical areas of the 993 convertible chassis.
Good luck with the project .. it will be fun to see it come together.
JPP, I will absolutely follow up with everything you wrote, thank you for that information, if there are items in the photos that you feel need to be addressed please do not hesitate to guide me through this. THANK YOU! - Ben
Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Default POINT OF NO RETURN......

Last edited by TwinTurbo959; 05-02-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Damn. That last pic stung a little bit.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Damn. That last pic stung a little bit.
Not for the faint of heart... it will all come together at the end.... btw, i love your quote!!! - Ben
Old 05-03-2014, 12:28 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Subscribed.

Andreas
Old 05-06-2014, 06:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts