Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Golden rod design

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was more curious on why the welding was needed versus just replacing the rubber piece. If I was going to do anything I would likely buy a golden rod. I've talked with my mechanic and he has experience building the platinum rods, but since the part is so expensive total cost will be >$300. Not sure I need more than the platinum rod.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I made my own using a Borgeson U-joint from Pegasus. Rather than welding it directly to the shift rod, I welded a short piece of chromoly tube and a flange to the U-joint so its a bolt in (much like the Wevo joint).

With the time spent and my cost for materials and consumables, I can say you're better off just buying the FD Motorsports rod or the Wevo joint. I like doing this kind of stuff which is my only reason for doing so.

I also fabbed my own forward shift rod with chromoly tubing and aircraft rod ends.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
GR seems to be an elegant, nicely made quality product!
I want one
Yes Paul, you do.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
After doing my own conversion:
1) The transmision input is not in alignment with the shifter. You need some kind of universal or rag joint to account for the (minor) difference. Solid bushings are not a good idea.
2) Yes u-joints are inexpensive. But the magic happens when you try to mate a "standard" joint to the input of the transmision. Its not rocket science, but you need a machined part that is an exact fit with 0 slop or you are no better off(probaly worse) than the stock rag joint.

My 2 cents.
Bingo
As you said, it isn't rocket science but, like most things Porsche, is more precise than you'd expect
We learned the hard way

The alignment front to back and fit at the trans are "fairly important"
Old 04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I am sure if you have a shop with the right equipment you can make something that will work. But one screw up or a few trial and errors and you are going to be thinking "why didn't I just buy the GR..." I have one on the C2 and will be doing it on the C2S - fantastic quality, easy DIY and awesome results.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Group buy any time soon?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:57 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the GR and SSK from FD last year. Why bother with all self welding. Mark makes a great, affordable product. Unless your Top-Gun, and have a fabrication shop, why waste the time. These are very expensive cars, why F*&^ with something as important as your connection to a very expensive transmission. Our cars a challenging on a great day, why make it even more complicated.

The installation is very easy. Just make sure that you align the transmission bolt that connects the shift rod. Very easy to x-thread. The GR is a very tight and precise fit. So alignment is key.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:08 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have always stated that the FDM units are top notch and well worth the cost. I think anyone with a 993 should have the GR on the top of their to do list. I just don't have an abundance of money and knew that I could make a copy of their product with patience and determination. I'd love to be able to buy all kinds of crap for my car. What I can't afford, am sure I can reproduce correctly (and not ruin things), I'll make my self. By no means am I throwing things in that I am not sure of. Just out of self preservation, I am more than apprehensive to tackle something I have doubts of.

Quick Reply: Golden rod design