Sponsored by:

LED turn/tail/brake lights kit from Tore

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Was looking into Tore's kit and wanted the flashing brake option which I've seen to be very effective on emergency vehicles eg ambulances, but was concerned about legalities.
To add to BobbyT's post, California law on flashing BRAKE lights is here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25251_5.htm
Safety first

Deceleration Warning Lights

25251.5. (a) Any motor vehicle may also be equipped with a system in which an amber light is center mounted on the rear of a vehicle to communicate a component of deceleration of the vehicle, and which light pulses in a controlled fashion at a rate which varies exponentially with a component of deceleration.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with two amber lamps on the rear of the vehicle which operate simultaneously with not more than four flashes within four seconds after the accelerator pedal is in the deceleration position and which are not lighted at any other time. The lamps shall be mounted at the same height, with one lamp located on each side of the vertical centerline of the vehicle, not higher than the bottom of the rear window, or if the vehicle has no rear window, not higher than 60 inches. The light output from each of the lamps shall not exceed 200 candlepower at any angle horizontal or above. The amber lamps may be used either separately or in combination with another lamp.

(c) Any stop lamp or supplemental stop lamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the high third brake light, do those bulbs get replaced as well?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish993
What about the high third brake light, do those bulbs get replaced as well?
Lots of conflicting (mis?)information out therein googleland, some say all 3 lights must flash the same, others that only the 3rd light should flash.

The flashing BULBS would of course only work in a 3rd light that is a single bulb. With the multi-bulb 3rd light on 993s, the only way to get either of these options to work would be a separate flasher module.

Not all of these comply with the CA law as they flash too many times or every 60 seconds etc, some searching is required to find a programmable unit that flashes no more than 4 times in 4 seconds and not thereafter.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This unit appears to be adjustable and may fit the bill for a third brake light application.

Gary
Old 09-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED Kit Instructions

Just bought the kit and I'm waiting for delivery. I'm looking for a good set of installation instructions. Anyone want to try their hand?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:02 PM
bigrig
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tore includes instructions with the package. they are complete and make the job very,very easy.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
Just bought the kit and I'm waiting for delivery. I'm looking for a good set of installation instructions. Anyone want to try their hand?
I bought a set from Tore and they are real easy to install, if you need any assistance I'll be happy to help you.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:34 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Install Q for you guys with the TLED. I installed all the bulbs (very easy), found the relay behind the guage and set it in the same orientation as the original, and turned the lights on. They seemed to be work fine and look great.

On second start up, the right side brake light would not light, and the right side signals will not flash, though the right turn indicator inside stays on constantly. I assumed it was the relay, but am hesitant to start fiddling as the lights seemed to work properly on the first test.

Hoping someone had this issue during their install and fixed it. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:03 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts

It seems you have a faulty flash relay. Try to insert the original to see if this works OK, although at a faster flashing rate.
I have seen several cases of corroded bulb holders on the brake bulbs, (and turn signals as well) try to wiggle the bulbs to find out if this is the problem. If so, clean the bulb socket and tighten the contact springs and bulb flange to get a proper connection.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just saw your post Tore, thank you for the reply. The last two times I've started the car, the lights have worked great. So I will leave it for now. If issues pop up I will follow your advice.

Now it's time to diagnose the CCU and probably order new parts from you.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

I just installed the T-LED LED Kit US Amber from Tore Tuesday night. I couldn't be happier with the product or the ease of installation, and feel a lot safer. Thanks to Ralph and everyone on this thread for shedding light on this great product!

I was a little tentative about pulling one of the instrument gauges - but it was really quite simple. I would rate this a 2 on for DIY degree of difficulty.

There have already been a lot of great pictures posted (can't beat CurveLover's effects on p. 5!), but I thought I'd post a few more picture for any of you still sitting on the fence. I was so pleased, I ordered the T-Light HID Kit the very next day.

Package has arrived!

Plastic knife works well for gently prying gauge loose

At this point you can simply pull the gauge out by hand

Simply pull

Tight fit

Need to first pull that front relay

Then swap out the relay in back

New brake light on left, old on the right. It's even more stark than the photo depicts.

Here's the old CLEAR bulb with short turn signal lenses from GT3 Tek

The new amber LED on the clear signal lenses
Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

^^ Terrific pictorial & write-up
Originally Posted by Foxman

There have already been a lot of great pictures posted (can't beat CurveLover's effects on p. 5!), but I thought I'd post a few more.
Thanks for the shout-out!
Mine don't compare to your helpful your pics, but hopefully amateur animations were entertaining
Originally Posted by curve lover

NOT necessarily a good "before & after" photo comparison, just what I have available...

"Before:" in 2009, with 4 incandescent brake lights. (U.S. turn signal housings.)

"After:"
Standard complement of Tore LEDs.
HID headlights. Foglights: Hella Micro DE with Philips HID bulbs & ballasts.

Rear: Tore LED except white reverse bulbs (LEDs from eBay), & inside brake lights bulbs are the remaining incandescents from 2009. That may or may not explain the right one looking dim from this angle. (Euro / ROW turn signal housings.)

Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tore's LED Lights

I just did mine as well. I got great customer service from Tore, he was very responsive. I installed the lights and they made a huge difference and I too feel a lot safer. No worries about being seen. No pictures, but I must say it is fun to walk up to the car in a darkened parking garage and hit the unlock button on the key ring. BAM BAM! Blinding flashes from the corner lights! I look forward to that every night. (I'm such a geek).
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 807 Posts

the center console tunnel cover is a real piece of crap.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my '95 the turn signal relay is behind the little cover on the right (passenger) side of the center console.

Very confusing at first because there are a pair of relays behind the fuel/oil gage but neither one is for the turn signal.

Quick Reply: LED turn/tail/brake lights kit from Tore