Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:22 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Alignment

Porsche dealer quoted $400.00 for a wheel alignment. Sounds a little high to me and I would appreciate it if you would advise what you have paid.

Thanks, Rich
1998 C2S
Old 08-01-2003, 05:23 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a quote for an alignment on a 993TT for $170. This does not include a wheel balancing which runs another $60.

Hal
Old 08-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Tom C.
Instructor

Your porsche dealer is telling you they really don't want to do this, but if you insist . . . they'll do it for 3 times the normal rate ($160-170).
Old 08-01-2003, 05:55 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rich:

Napleton Porsche gave me the same quote ($420). When I asked the service manager (who's otherwise not a bad sort) if he was kidding, he assured me that the job takes a lot of time and care.

When the job was done for me by my buddy the PO, his local dealer (Allentown, PA) delivered an excellent alignment for (as I recall) $125.

The $400+ quote was similarly distressing to me and has me looking for alternative sources for an upcoming suspension change + alignment. I may give Napleton one more chance to "get real" on this job, though.

Regards to all.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:11 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

In an effort to thwart all of these stealers, I went and invested in a set of electronic scales, a digital camber / caster guage and a toe in tool. Now I can play corner balancing, resetting alignments, etc. and I do not have to pay any of these blood suckers. Oh, and it is INCREDIBLY easy to do this work. A little easier if you have a monoball setup though....

Total investment, about $1,500. Figure foregoing a few corner balance / alignments at $600 a pop and its paid for itself. I also plan to do some work for other guys cars if an effort to offset some of the cost. This will let others see what it really takes to do this work on their Porsches at a reasonable $$ and it saves me a lot of money because if I am working on someone elses car, I'm not spending money on mine...

Oh, and the car is down to 2997 lbs with the removal of the old motor mounts, a new dry cell battery (wimped out on the 15 and went for the 23lb'er, still saved 25 lbs), and installation of the RS washer reservoir (and taking out the old one and well over a gallon of rquired fluid).
Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

I paid $130 in San Diego.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:30 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

One thing I've noticed about dealers in my past 30+years of Porsche ownership........Everything is a mysterious, complicated, almost magical and definitely highly advanced technological event .

Thank God for "Rennlist", DIYs', independent Porsche shops, and manuals.

Forget the race program, they need to stick to selling trucks!!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 12:06 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob:

Some time ago, I took the same route you took and purchased scales, scale platforms, laser pad leveler, digital camber gauge, toe plates, Smart String alignment set, a kinematic toe gauge and some special tools. The cost of all this stuff approached $6000. I aligned my car once and decided that this just wasn’t for me. If I had a large enough garage, I would purchase an alignment rack which would significantly reduce the labor involved in a proper corner balance and alignment. I am too scared to get under the car and really crank on the bolts that have to be moved in order to affect an alignment, especially with the toe plates under the wheels. My car is set at RS ride height and I find that it is too low even on the scale platform to really access the eccentric bolts. Luckily there is a great shop in Atlanta (Performance Imports) with whom I have a good working relationship and, as such, am able to get my car set up often and at a reasonable cost. One note about my situation is that my garage floor is not quite level, thus the need for the scale platforms. It would be nice to use my equipment. I am curious to know what your experience has been so far.

Hank
Old 08-02-2003, 12:54 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Hank,

My floor sucks. I even have this stupid p-rock floor. Pad levelers worked great (after I bought some jam nuts to lock the height when it was set). Used a Digital inclinometer and every pad is PERFECTLY level (has anyone bothered to actual place a level on your local shops rack? 99% of the time it is way out of level). Laser leveler (instead of the $3xx intercomp, I used a $30 home depot laser and a 90 degree square) assures then that each pad is then on the same plane. A little paint around the legs on the floor when it was all set and I can get it set up in a matter of a couple of minutes and assure a level platform. Took a couple of hours to set up, but I can pretty much align any 911 series car. Also built ramps and roll offs to settle the car. It is pretty easy to access the suspension points and to align and corner balance.

I enjoy it, and it is the only way that it will be done right...

ok, $6000? What the heck did you buy??? Hmm. Kinematic Toe guage. Cool. 99% of the shops don't have them, or know how to use them. I would like to play with one.

I've got Intercomp scales and pad levelers, Smart Chamber and Smart String. If you have the tools , god use them. Don't be afraid. It's fun (ok, after you figure out the whole how does weight shift when corner balancing). Enjoy!!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Independent shop; $230. Front DEFINITELY needed alignment ; bad wear on inside of the tread. Back wear was fine. They still did a 4-wheel alignment.

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment