Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^ Agreed!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:23 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...He said... she said...

Yawn... bed time...
Old 03-27-2014, 12:29 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1 agreed. Waaay out of control.

Originally Posted by TMc993
This thread....Stick a fork in it....It's done.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:11 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
are you really dense enough to not think that a dealer may put more effort into someone buying a $40k+ car vs. someone asking for a $350 service?

really?

welcome to my ignore list.
I never bought my car from JDP Quad so how's them apples. I was the $350 service PPI!!! AND STILL RECEIVED A GREAT PPI.

Before you begin (wait you've already attempted to insult me twice) did it ever cross your mind that perhaps a service rep may have made the mistake of not looking over the past service receipts unintentionally?

Maybe the guy had a bad day, morning whatever....but I'm almost certain that JDP's business model doesn't include screwing customers PPI's up intentionally.

Man you jump to conclusions faster than the Malaysian government.

Last edited by CamsPorsche; 03-27-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche

Man you jump to conclusions faster than the Malaysian government.
Lol,
Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Good morning sunshine!

Seems like the uncle is getting screwed 3x. The seller for not disclosing issues; JDP for a faulty PPI ; and the indie who has now sold him a top end rebuild. I guess all the uncle can do now is lubricate and sit back and enjoy it.

Don't expect more than the cost of the PPI from JDP if they want to be generous. These cars are 17 years old.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:05 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, another good reason to not run the engine tray
I better get to the shop and get mine taken off post haste before my engine suffers the premature wear and tear on the engine from driving around with it on.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

If you send your car in for a PPI, a reasonable person would expect them to find a leak that was filling the engine tray with oil. Especially if the PPI was done by the servicing dealer.

The bad publicity in these posts will hurt them...it would be in their interest to come to an agreement...it is the only way for this to work out in their favor. They could turn a negative event into good PR for a few bucks...how is this not a win for them?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:17 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
If you send your car in for a PPI, a reasonable person would expect them to find a leak that was filling the engine tray with oil. Especially if the PPI was done by the servicing dealer.

The bad publicity in these posts will hurt them...it would be in their interest to come to an agreement...it is the only way for this to work out in their favor. They could turn a negative event into good PR for a few bucks...how is this not a win for them?
No doubt JDP is at fault in the PPI but we are receiving information from the uncles nephew so who knows what the full story is (without seeing copies of the PPI report, etc, then who knows what his uncle agreed to in his discussions with JDP or whether the new shop is taking him for a ride). At the moment this is all pure heresay and unfortunately JDP can't defend themselves as they probably haven't even seen this thread.

Kind of reminds me of being assumed guilty before being able to prove ones innocence. I'm out.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
No doubt JDP is at fault in the PPI but we are receiving information from the uncles nephew so who knows what the full story is (without seeing copies of the PPI report, etc, then who knows what his uncle agreed to in his discussions with JDP or whether the new shop is taking him for a ride). At the moment this is all pure heresay and unfortunately JDP can't defend themselves as they probably haven't even seen this thread.

Kind of reminds me of being assumed guilty before being able to prove ones innocence. I'm out.
And this is where the confusion comes in. You say "No doubt JDP is at fault" but then you say "who knows what the full story is" and "reminds me of being assumed guilty before being able to prove ones innocence."

The point I was trying to make is that this type of bad PR, especially when is seems JDP screwed the pooch, is easily offset by working things out with the buyer. I will add....It would also be nice if they were allowed the opportunity to do so BEFORE a negative post appeared about them.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
The point I was trying to make is that this type of bad PR, especially when is seems JDP screwed the pooch, is easily offset by working things out with the buyer. I will add....It would also be nice if they were allowed the opportunity to do so BEFORE a negative post appeared about them.
^^agree, this has taken on a life of it's own...but I wonder

1-did the new owner(uncle) contact the seller when he discovered the car in not as described condition. If so, what did Mr. Osborne say?

2-did the new owner(uncle) follow up with an eloquently versed WTF, when the dealership who did the PPI sent him the bad news service records on the car? If so, what was their initial statement?

Sometimes, these public(?) bashings only make the opposing parties dig in more, be less receptive to compromise I mean.

I find it disheartening to read that the new owners mechanic states "catastropic engine failure" is a possibility from worn valve guides. If I understand that correctly...CEL issues, yes..increased oil consumption, yes...but it ain't gonna go boom, and put 12 qts of oil on the ground.

I would hope that the previous owner...Mr. Osborne, would give the uncle some $$ back, and the dealer credit back the PPI $ and maybe a few additional .
Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
I find it disheartening to read that the new owners mechanic states "catastropic engine failure" is a possibility from worn valve guides.
Unfortunately it is possible! i.e. It happened in the eighties and has probably happened since but...

Paraphrasing Bruce Anderson's "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook ";
Normally a valve transfers heat from the stem to the guide through an oil film as the stem travels up and down. With worn valve guides that doesn't happen and the valve overheats and eventually the valve head can and will break off the valve stem and then it becomes one with a piston. Long before the valve self-destructs from over heating you have excess heat that should be transferred to the cylinder head through oil but isn't, and now there is a place for that oil to go.

If you overheat oil you get carbon and that is what finds its way to your SAI port.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Dave
JDP reported "Vehicle looks good no problems found or services due".
911Dave,

I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle's situation and I hope this really works out for him in the end.

Dumb Question, did you Uncle actually pay for a PPI and get the results in writing?

Your quote above implies they just looked it over and didnt perform an actual PPI. I hope I am just reading it wrong.

I am local to JDP. When I sold my C4S, the buyer had the PPI done by JDP and they did everything, over revs - compression, leak down, etc. Maybe they just had a bad day. But by your quote above it sounds like they just looked it over and didn't perform a real ppi.

Unfortunately many PPi's are not worth the paper they are printed on. Of course its better than not doing one.

Its a 20 year old german car, I would expect to do $3-5k in repairs after you buy it. No used car is going to be perfect.

I buy and sell my cars all the time. If I had a nickel for every seller that told me their car was meticulously maintained and a 10 out of 10, I'd be rich.

When you show up there is rust, car has obvious paint work and the seller hasn't changed the oil in 10 years because he's only driven it 1,500 miles and your not suppose to change it until you hit three thousand miles?

An attorney can answer better, but in New Jersey buying a used car is Buyer Beware, unfortunately I think you have no recourse, maybe you can get JDP to give you back the cost of the PPI.

I would get a second opinion on the $8k from your current mechanic. Most mechanics are going to tell you the car needs .....and while you are in there you should also do ..............They are in business to make money too.

Again, I hope this works out for you. You uncle will have a great car that will appreciate in value.

Best of luck, keep us posted
Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
When I sold my C4S, the buyer had the PPI done by JDP and they did everything, over revs - compression, leak down, etc.
There is no over rev-indicator on a 993's DME that I know about - did they actually say that for a 993?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike J
There is no over rev-indicator on a 993's DME that I know about - did they actually say that for a 993?

Cheers,

Mike
no, not a 993. My point is you can drop $500-800 bucks easy on a PPI at JDP and the OP does not say I spent $500 on a PPI and now need $8k in repairs, he says he was verbally told it was a good car.

I wish nothing but the best for the OP but sounds like a real PPI wasn't done.

Quick Reply: Bad Dealer Alert! Jack Daniels Porsche pooches a PPI