Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bad Dealer Alert! Jack Daniels Porsche pooches a PPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Let this be a lesson for OP, his uncle and future buyers...ask rennlist where to do PPI, that's where Porsche ownership starts...oh...and never buy cars in New York City.

Good news is that oil leak and SAI light doesn't automatically mean top end...and if top end hasn't been done you should expect it sooner or later (hopefully much later) in any case.

Just let this be a lesson and move on...get the SAI flush, change the gaskets and go from there.
I'm afraid to ask, but has the clutch been replaced? Considering the car was in the city it might be due for a new clutch and it ain't cheap.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I took Karl to NJ with me for the PPI. He put his tools in a suitcase and we jumped a flight. Seller who was not an enthusiast agreed in advance to let us take the car to a Rennlisters house that had a lift.

It was a fun and pleasurable experience. I stood right there under the car and watch the leakdown and compression numbers.
Wait, wasn't this the plot of "Deliverance"?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The shop provided the estimate today - $8k in total for rebuilding the heads including 5 angle grind of the valves, and fixing the oil leaks. They'll be checking the clutch and FW while the engine's out, which it already is.

He emailed and sent a letter to the GM and QA Manager at JD Porsche, and sent me the following comments: "If JD were to give me $4,000 I’d be fine. If not I’ll suggest that within a month every single Porsche Dealer in North America will receive 4 copies of the work orders and a letter; one copy to the owner, one to the Sales Manager, one to the General Manager and one to the Service Department. In addition, every Porsche Club in North America will receive the same information for posting on a bulletin board or in a newsletter. Some will, some won’t. Might do some good in that these two Managers might be concerned that word will eventually get back to the 2 brothers. Look how quickly the news travelled to you and your “993” gang [referring to you guys, the Rennlist 993 board]. Porsche owners are different than Chevy owners, I think."

Yeah, I think we are
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
The shop provided the estimate today - $8k in total for rebuilding the heads including 5 angle grind of the valves, and fixing the oil leaks. They'll be checking the clutch and FW while the engine's out, which it already is.

He emailed and sent a letter to the GM and QA Manager at JD Porsche, and sent me the following comments: "If JD were to give me $4,000 I’d be fine. If not I’ll suggest that within a month every single Porsche Dealer in North America will receive 4 copies of the work orders and a letter; one copy to the owner, one to the Sales Manager, one to the General Manager and one to the Service Department. In addition, every Porsche Club in North America will receive the same information for posting on a bulletin board or in a newsletter. Some will, some won’t. Might do some good in that these two Managers might be concerned that word will eventually get back to the 2 brothers. Look how quickly the news travelled to you and your “993” gang [referring to you guys, the Rennlist 993 board]. Porsche owners are different than Chevy owners, I think."

Yeah, I think we are
make sure he includes the very recent clean PPI from the dealer, as well as the slightly less recent CEL, SAI service from the same dealer. Cool..........
Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

yep, he showed me the letter and it's fantastic. Polite and professional, but firm in his stance. He included both service records, with Gunbarrel's notes. He knows his chances of getting any remuneration are slim, but the dealership does need to hear about this.

He's looking forward to enjoying his beautiful car in a few weeks when he gets it back. And despite being a little sore about getting shafted, he sees the bright side - he'll have a gorgeous car with fresh heads and lots of smiles per mile ahead of him.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

He emailed and sent a letter to the GM and QA Manager at JD Porsche, and sent me the following comments: "If JD were to give me $4,000 I’d be fine. If not I’ll suggest that within a month every single Porsche Dealer in North America will receive 4 copies of the work orders and a letter; one copy to the owner, one to the Sales Manager, one to the General Manager and one to the Service Department. In addition, every Porsche Club in North America will receive the same information for posting on a bulletin board or in a newsletter. Some will, some won’t.
I think your uncle, while well intended, went about it the wrong way. From what you wrote above, he didn't give JDP a chance to respond before promising retribution in the form of a negative publicity campaign. Also, your comments above don't mention the culpability of the seller. In general I do think 50% of the cost of the repairs is a fair compromise, but some if not all of that should come from the seller, not 100% from the dealer. Is he planning to "go after" the seller for the other $4,000?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

how did this new shop determine a rebuild was needed?
did your uncle get a second opinion this time?
reads like this new shop saw an opportunity to create some work.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

No, he didn't mention the smear campaign in his letter to the dealer, that was just his personal correspondence to me alone. He's going to give JD Porsche every chance to do the right thing (whatever that is) before he even thinks about threatening to do anything.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 PM
NYC993
Drifting

$8k is lot of work...I hope that includes new valve guides (I believe non-OEM are recommended)...dealers or indy will push for as much work as possible for simple things.

For example, I needed new steering boots...a very good shop quoted me 400 (because of alignment), it was a simple diy with 10$ in parts...no alignment needed if you do it differently.

Another shop charged somebody $350 for front/rear deck gas struts...it's 100 in parts (Porsche genuine parts) and 1 hour (being first time) of fiddling around with a few pins and clips.

Brake fluid flush from a local dealer ... ready?... $380 dollars! Another shop quoted $160, and another one did it for $80. All top very well regarded Porsche shops.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k722070
how did this new shop determine a rebuild was needed?
did your uncle get a second opinion this time?
reads like this new shop saw an opportunity to create some work.
I don't know every little detail as I only get updates from my uncle and he shares whatever he learns. They did a little disassembly to assess the condition of the valve train and determined that the valve guides do have excessive wear, and correctly recommended that the heads be reconditioned to avoid a possible catastrophe that can result if you drive around with worn guides.

The car could be driven like this, but sooner or later the valve job is going to have to be done, and my uncle would rather take care of the job now and not have to worry about dealing with this problem again. I agree with his reasoning.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

the valve guides do have excessive wear, and correctly recommended that the heads be reconditioned to avoid a possible catastrophe that can result if you drive around with worn guides.
Sounds like your uncle got screwed by the PPI from JDP.

Also sounds like the new shop is painting highly unlikely occurrences, such as worn valve guides resulting in some imminent catastrophic engine failure to milk as much money as they can from this situation. An imminent catastrophic engine failure due to worn valve guides is so highly unlikely to occur, and I doubt a regular PPI would be expected to examine things such as worn valve guides, though I could be mistaken about this.

As others have said, all that may really need to be done is a few gaskets changed and an SAI clear out to get this car up to speed, who knows at this point. That would cost hundreds, not an $8K top-end. Curious as to whether your Uncle paid for a leakdown and compression test with his PPI from JDP. If not, they wouldn't know or be expected to know some of this info, I'd think.

Be careful that your Uncle and new shop don't take a legitimate beef and screw it up by getting overzealous.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Sounds like your uncle got screwed by the PPI.

Also sounds like the new shop is painting highly unlikely occurrences, such as worn valve guides resulting in some imminent catastrophic engine failure to milk as much money as they can from this situation. A catastrophic engine failure due to worn valve guides is so highly unlikely to occur, and I doubt a regular PPI would be expected to examine things such as this, though I could me mistaken.

As others have said, all that may really need to be done is a few gaskets changed and an SAI clear out to get this car up to speed. That would cost hundreds, not an $8K top-end. Curious as to whether your Uncle paid for a leakdown and compression test with his PPI♦ from JDP. If not, they wouldn't know or be expected to know some of this info, I'd think.

Be careful that your Uncle and new shop don't take a legitimate beef and screw it up by getting overzealous.
Exactly!....I must have missed it but how do they even know the valve guides are worn?...you don't know if guides are worn until at least you have a good handle on the oil consumption or take the motor apart.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If not I’ll suggest that within a month every single Porsche Dealer in North America will receive 4 copies of the work orders and a letter; one copy to the owner, one to the Sales Manager, one to the General Manager and one to the Service Department. In addition, every Porsche Club in North America will receive the same information for posting on a bulletin board or in a newsletter.
Who is going to lick all those envelopes?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Who is going to lick all those envelopes?
Just soak 'em in some Jack Daniels.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

This thread....Stick a fork in it....It's done.

Quick Reply: Bad Dealer Alert! Jack Daniels Porsche pooches a PPI