Sponsored by:

My Project Thread - Breathing New Life into a High Mileage '95 C2 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

I used rite-way once and had terrible results, I wouldn't use them again.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting... I'll shop around then. Some people swear by Wheels America (at least for curb rash on OEM wheels), but I'm not so sure about their work on 3-piecers.

Yeah, apparently the impact that folded that lip over also snapped the transmission from the engine. It was the overzealous son of the owner of the car driving it on Infineon Raceway that caused it. From what I heard it sounds like his son is fine and still racing today.

Still one less 993 in this world makes me sad.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Do the Wevo engine mounts come with any hardware?

Originally Posted by RichPugh
Nice euro spec Turbo/S front bumper w/o the bumperettes. Youre already off with a head start I love the silver & red too. I just ordered my wevo blacks and beru wires, bosch caps, rotors and plugs too.

Also, I would do KW V1's (why blow the money on 3's) and yes CDR-220 is in my plans too
Originally Posted by Spencercat
I've chosen PSS10s, Walrod bushings and Wevo black engine mounts for mine. Very happy with the adjustability and ride quality of the PSS10s, and the Wevos do a great job keeping the engine in place. I would also recommend getting the headlight upgrade from Holland, it's an easy install.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Wheel Techniques has quite a few very negative reviews on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/wheel-techniques-santa-clara

I am considering going to Wheel Repair Solutions. The owner of the shop seems pretty straight shooting when I spoke with him the other day. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? I realize it is a rather new shop.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

So I'm starting to plan my decent down the slipper slope of suspension related upgrades. Here is what I'm thinking so far:

1) PSS10 coil overs
2) Walrod front control arm bushings
3) RS engine mounts
4) Adjustable toe lines (rennline, tarret, other?)
5) Replacement OEM sway bar bushings for M030
6) Replacement inner tie rods (if needed) & pinning if able
7) Replacement shock mounts (if needed)

About the shock mounts, if I need to replace them due to age, should I just spend a little extra for Rennline or ERP mono ball shock mounts? (Note, I realize the Rennline mounts need a special spring hat to work with PSS10s). Are there any downsides to running mono ball shock mounts on the street? (rougher ride? more noise? etc.)

I'm hoping to do the suspension overhaul myself on jack stands and then limp the car down the street a couple miles to a shop that will perform a full alignment and corner balancing.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Sometimes it feels like one step forwards and two steps backwards. I'm having to revise my build somewhat due to budget. My steering rack just failed so I've set funds aside to replace it. Also another member here on RL offered me a very nice deal on a set of H&R Street Performance strut. Yes, the PSS10s are far superior due to their adjustability, but I simply cannot afford them at this point.

Here's what I'm looking at adding/upgrading to the car in the near future:

1) H&R Street Performance Struts and Springs
2) New Steering Rack and Tie Rods
3) RS Engine Mounts
4) Lower valve covers and gaskets
5) Walrod front control arm bushings
6) Bushing/top hat replacement as needed (I don't see a point for springing for mono ball shock mounts at this time)
7) Steering brace & Gert's front protection bar
8) Wide Oval exhaust tips

All in all, I'm aiming for a solid street performance oriented build. I expect it will feel and look like a new car when I get it back from the shop. I'm still debating between ROW or ROW -10 (RS +10) ride height. The WORK wheels are still on hold until the replacement wheels for the second set arrive from Japan (~1 month left of waiting).

Lastly here's a pic to prove the suspension is now in hand and the end of my deliberations are within sight.

Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 441
Size:  182.8 KB

The smaller generic box is the steering rack. One last note, I've swapped in a Steve Wong chip and wow what an improvement in the overall torque curve!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 411 Likes on 257 Posts

I am so impressed by this car. I love the flamenco (let's discuss when your ready to detail it).

- RS engine mounts - good choice.
- Walrod front control arm bushings made a nice improvement on the targa.
- Gert protection bar on my new ride - seems functional. Not sure I would prioritize on a higher mileage car, although maybe more valuable @ ROW-10.
- I would consider a front strut tower brace.
- Don't forget to BUDGET for a proper 993 alignment -- particularly if you lower the car.

How about a few more interior pics?

/
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatmike
- I would consider a front strut tower brace.
/
I have a 911chips front strut brace installed. I just forgot to mention it in this thread.

- Don't forget to BUDGET for a proper 993 alignment -- particularly if you lower the car.
/
I'm having a shop install the steering rack, walrods, and struts. A proper alignment including corner balancing will be performed.

How about a few more interior pics?
/
I need to take some more, but here is what I have that the previous owner sent me when he was selling the car to me:
Name:  PHOTO_20131212_130717.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  PHOTO_20131212_130729.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  PHOTO_20131212_130822_2.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  73.3 KB

The steering wheel is work, the shift **** was original black and the red dye is partially worn off, there are a couple slight scratches and spots on the seats, and a couple warn carpet areas (e.g. driver's side dead-pedal area), but I consider these all part of the patina. Honestly the interior condition is pretty darn exceptional for a 163k mile car, and it inspires me to keep it that way as best that I can.

This was the first 993 that I seriously looked at and perhaps I'm paying a bit for my impulsiveness with some additional repairs due to prior owners skimping on upkeep, but it was certainly love a first sight. Silver and red is a timeless combination that I wont ever get sick of.

One last random amusement, I think I've tracked down the phone number for the original owner of the car. I'm tempted to cold call him just to hear his story about the purchase. He took European delivery on it so I'm sure there is a fun story behind it all. I'm a little worried that he'll want his car back...
Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 411 Likes on 257 Posts

Call him! I am willing to bet anyone who special ordered a flamenco interior and take euro delivery would talk to you (and have some colorful story to share).

/
Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Call him! I am willing to bet anyone who special ordered a flamenco interior and take euro delivery would talk to you (and have some colorful story to share).

/
I've wondered similar with my 4S--Arctic/Chestnut and all. Though I'm not sure it was special order for him, since it was sold out of McKenna in suburban LA and the owner was East Bay. Always wondered if it was an oddball order for stock, and they knew someone would come in ready to spend near turbo money on a pimped out non-turbo.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Beautiful interior. Want.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:11 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

So the 993 is now in the shop. My mechanic got it up on the lift did some looking around and showed me what he saw. The struts, steering rack, tie-rods, and engine mounts are all shot. All those items will be replaced.

The front a-arm bushings are fine, so no need to install the Walrod's bushing set that I have. Also the lower valve covers aren't the source of my oil leaks, but instead its the timing chain cover gaskets. I foresee a lot of oil purchasing in my future while I wait for a more significant reason to drop the engine.

I guess my repair bill won't be as high as I anticipated given the labor saved by not needing either of these repairs. That's a good thing because it means I can get my new WORK Brombacher wheels refinished and rebuilt sooner than later!

After the new wheels, I might get a working stereo system installed in the car. Aftermarket stereo/amp/speakers or Fister Stage III mufflers? Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:06 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful car, but dear lord get rid of that enormous turbo spoiler. It's almost bigger than the car itself! And more importantly it doesn't have intercoolers inside of it like the car it was designed for.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Originally Posted by NP993
dear lord get rid of that enormous turbo spoiler. It's almost bigger than the car itself!
I like having a wing on the car, but I agree the Turbo tail isn't the right one. I'm debating between an aero kit wing, ducktail, or some RS variant (meaning changing the front bumper too). The front bumper will need a respray soon thanks to some idiots backing into the car while parked.

Mechanical repairs first, cosmetic items second.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:14 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Do the Walrod bushings while you're taking care of the other mechanical issues. You will get a much tighter handling car. Well worth it!

Quick Reply: My Project Thread - Breathing New Life into a High Mileage '95 C2 Coupe