My Project Thread - Breathing New Life into a High Mileage '95 C2 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking My Project Thread - Breathing New Life into a High Mileage '95 C2 Coupe

Hey folks,

First off a big to thank you to all who helped me navigate my PPI and purchasing logistics through my first thread on the 993 Rennlist forums. Also a HUGE thanks to coreseller for some coaching and advice outside of here and the 986 forums that we both frequent.

So here's the skinny, I recently bought a '95 C2 coupe with great factory options and in the colors that I love (silver and red), but it has rather high mileage (~160k) and lots of 19-year old aging rubber parts. This is my second Porsche, and I knew darn well when I bought this 993 that my future repair bills wouldn't be cheap. I also felt like with the way the market is heading, if I didn't hop onto the 993 bandwagon now at age 30 (before my life gets all complicated with marriage, kids, and such) I probably wouldn't be able to afford one ever...

But enough about my background, you all are here to see pics and plan a rebuild right?

So here is my initial fix-it list based upon the PPI:
  • Brakes: Already fixed up including new pads, rotors, ss brake lines, and fluid.
  • Suspension: 160k miles all original At least there are some M030 parts included. The engine mounts need replacement too.
  • Engine: Has an oil-leak, but passed compression test just fine.
  • Transmission: Strong and smooth. My mechanic can tell the clutch was rebuilt at least once already.
  • Steering: The steering rack is fine, but the yoke/bushings are worn out.
  • Electrical: My mechanic tells me the distributors look prehistoric... so they'll need rebuilding soon.

I want to rebuild this 993 to an aggressive street-oriented build. At this point I haven't gotten too actively involved in the AX and DE scenes, but I suspect that might change with time.

I've been reading up on past threads and I am getting kind of overwhelmed with the different options and opinions at this point. So here are some questions I'd appreciate you all helping me with:
  • For my suspension do I run Bilstein HDs/Koni FSDs with M030 springs or do I plunk down the big money for PSS10s/KW3s?
  • For all of the old bushings, do I replace with walrods or move to RS components?
  • Similarly, for my engine mounts Wevo Blacks or RS mounts?
  • Any recommendations for iPod/iPhone integration? I'm considering swapping out my factory stereo for a CDR-220 since I'm familiar with that unit from the 986 world.

I ultimately would like to put 18" wheels on, drop the ride height to ROW level, and possibly trade the turbo wing for something else (ducktail maybe?). That all can follow once I have the suspension figured out and the engagement ring paid for.

Thanks again for this great community!
Attached Images    
Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default nice new toy!

Welcome & congratulations on your first 993!
Originally Posted by Spyder_Man

I bought a coupe in the colors I love (silver and red). I knew with the way the market is heading, if I didn't hop onto the 993 bandwagon now I probably wouldn't be able to afford one ever...

I would like to put 18" wheels on, drop the ride height, and trade the wing.
Good instincts, IMHO
Good luck, & enjoy the slippery slope...

Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

silver on red. nice.
Great first year 993.

install a trunk lid, lower the suspension to euro ride height and it will look perfect
Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 AM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome, the next thing I would do is to call your nearest dealer with your VIN and see if your engine harness has been updated (open warranty). Then decide if you want to be on the cosmetic or functional slope, or both. Then $$$ and have a ball. My son just got his 96 (same age as you) and has decided that other than the immediate needs to drive a bit before addressing his wants. My 95 has taken us ~ 7 years to get it just about right.
and good luck.
Search everything and ask regularly about everything...it's all here.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Nice euro spec Turbo/S front bumper w/o the bumperettes. Youre already off with a head start I love the silver & red too. I just ordered my wevo blacks and beru wires, bosch caps, rotors and plugs too.

Also, I would do KW V1's (why blow the money on 3's) and yes CDR-220 is in my plans too
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She is lovely,and with all the nice upgrades,you probably won't have to buy her a ring.

I took a similar path,and went with Walrod bushing and RS mounts. I went with MO33 springs and Koni FSD,but I don't track mine. You might consider Sports or PS10's. I am sure track guys will chime in.

Enjoy,
Emerald
Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 277 Posts

Congrats! I really like that color combo.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM
axl911
Drifting

•For my suspension do I run Bilstein HDs/Koni FSDs with M030 springs or do I plunk down the big money for PSS10s/KW3s?

Spring for the PSS10s/KW3, they are better matched to the car.

•For all of the old bushings, do I replace with walrods or move to RS components?

Don't see the need for RS....Walrods would do just fine.

•Similarly, for my engine mounts Wevo Blacks or RS mounts?

Wevo works just fine. Maybe even cheaper?

•Any recommendations for iPod/iPhone integration? I'm considering swapping out my factory stereo for a CDR-220 since I'm familiar with that unit from the 986 world.

Put on a good exhaust and you won't need the ipod/iphone...or radio.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM
axl911
Drifting

BTW, beautiful combo. Sounds like you got a great car. Just need a little bit of TLC.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats, shes's a beauty!

I would do the mechanicals first then cosmetics at the end. If you don't have good records with the car no big deal, but you need to start making your own. Make a plan and move forwards.

This probably is not going to be good for you (your budget), but this is what we are here for

Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Spencercat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've chosen PSS10s, Walrod bushings and Wevo black engine mounts for mine. Very happy with the adjustability and ride quality of the PSS10s, and the Wevos do a great job keeping the engine in place. I would also recommend getting the headlight upgrade from Holland, it's an easy install.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations!! I love the color combo We actually have a $100 ECS gift card on a purchase of KW V1's right now, for more information Click Here.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Thanks everyone for the support and advice. I will definitely be addressing the repair needs before the upgrade wants. I will also be focusing on the mechanical before the cosmetic.

For mechanical items it is easy to want to put the best (highest performance) parts in, but given my budget that wont always be possible. It really is helpful when folks chime in and say a certain part will work nearly as well at a lower cost (e.g. Wevo blacks vs. RS mounts).

As for cosmetic changes, my current endstate would probably look close to the car that JB 911 linked with the possible additions of a duck tail and side script. I definitely would go with Otto Fuchs if I pursue that retro look.

Originally Posted by JB 911
Old 02-25-2014, 01:15 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

great color combo!! for me, that's a classic Porsche combo and not often seen on a 993. good luck with the car.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

beautiful combo, I really dig the red interior! best of luck and congrats on your purchase.

Quick Reply: My Project Thread - Breathing New Life into a High Mileage '95 C2 Coupe