993 Forum 1995-1998

targa top disaster - its all history now and why its worth it

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:23 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default targa top disaster - its all history now and why its worth it

So, I have another post on here titled Aaaarrrghhh targa top disaster from a few weeks - nay months ago! Following on from that, I fittted the rebuilt roof mechanism 2 weeks ago on my Targa after ARM finished respraying the car. We then went away with work for a week and on Monday we collected the car, reassembled and looking fantastic after being stripped to bare metal on the outside including all panels off, glass out, all seals replaced, bumperrets deleted and resprayed the original turquoise blue. A couple of nights later I refitted the wind deflector and rear window wiper etc, I still had issues with the roof alignment so I decided to leave it as is and left the motors for the roof disconnected for now. It closes and opens winding the motos manually but I figured it was time to enjoy the 993 for what it is meant to be for.

The reason - I wanted to drive the car and we were booked on the UAE Porsche Club day drive from Dubai to RAK and back today!

Being new members of the club we did not know what to expect but it was fantastic. Around 40 Porsches met at the Meydan Hotel in Dubai. Breakfast was had by all (photo 1) and then a great drive through some great roads with a stop for some desert photos - the camel wasn't planned! - it just happened - how was that for timing (photos 2 & 3). That was followed by lunch at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah (photo 4). After a good lunch and a couple of hours chilling, a blast back down the 611 ended up at the One and Only Mirage for Sundowners and a great end to a fantastic day (photo 5 - how small does the 993 look!).

We met loads of enthusiastic Porsche fans and new friends and the car ran great (apart from not being able to get into the front trunk for our shorts and swim gear!) and being one of 3 993's + 1 964 on a day full of Caymans, Boxters S's, GT3's, Cayennes etc. it made me realise why we love the 993.

Now I can't wait for the 2 day drive up to Musandam in Oman in April and maybe by then I will reconnect the Targa motors, synchronise the cables / motors and get the roof open !! But then again, when its this good - maybe I will just drive it!
Attached Images      
Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Default And More Pics

Here's some more pics.
Attached Images      
Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Great pics! Thanks. Its cold and snowy here. All I can do is go out and stare at mine.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:53 PM
nourm
Advanced

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Great pics! Thanks. Its cold and snowy here. All I can do is go out and stare at mine.
Same here in NY, haven't taken her out in a few months now, but every single time I walk past her in the garage I fall in love all over again. Hoping spring will come around in the next few weeks!

Awesome pics btw! Love the turquoise!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Glad to hear you're gaining on the top!

Those Caymans on either side of yours look huge!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Roger,

That's excellent news! Thanks for sharing the pictures and story with us.

Just let us know when you're ready to get that targa top fully functioning and we'll walk you thru it. It's a little tricky, but I'm sure we can get it perfect.

You're car is absolutely stunning!

Marc
Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Shes a beauty.......But those side marker lights
Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

cheers guys. its funnny but even with all the money spent on the respray and other stuff, i probably spent less on the car than most others out there but it seemed to draw the most attention.

it sparked a debate about the 964 front end looks v the 993 and it was the first time ive heard a car being described as having a heart stopping rear end. i even had 2 guys offering to buy it but no chance.

agreed by the way on the side markers, they have to go.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 PM
tel0020
2nd Gear

Love the Colour. Never seen a Targa that Colour!

Quick Reply: targa top disaster - its all history now and why its worth it