Sponsored by:

modest performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Bob,

No question that factory gears run a little quieter than aftermarket ones, however the noise differences vary by gearset ratio. This is due to tooth design, profile, and that factory ones have fully ground surfaces for this reason.

If one needs the quietest transmission possible, there is a big price tag for that as Motorsports ones are oftentimes double the cost of aftermarket ones.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:15 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello all and thanks again. It appears that this thread took on a life of its own. I want to modify a tip, and got an education on gearset swaps ;-0)
I do whole heartedly agree, gearing is always a great way to get performance, if gearsets exist. This is not applicable to the tip.

Maybe I will simply do the standard exhaust, and throw away anything that weighs anything that I don't need. I can drill brackets, remove sound material, carpet, radio, washer tank, spare, and so on. I bet I could remove near 100 pounds, and buy lighter wheels?

Anyway, it became an interesting read. No, I do not want a vette. Power is nice, but not everything.

I will say, I do learn a lot on this board.

Rich
Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Strings have a way of getting off point,

…but generally good things come from it.

We read, "I want to modify a tip." This is probably very expensive to go into the internals, but, you could always change the ring and pinion to something lower, like a 4.0

Check out www.retro-sport.com The stock Albins ring and pinion sets. Can't say if they will go into a Tiptronic, but they do go into a
993 G-50:

Final Drive Ratio
8:32 (ratio: 4.00:1)

Price: $2,690.00

Quick Reply: modest performance mods