Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear glass channel body rust PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear glass channel body rust PICS

I recently bought my 993 only back in April 2013 and it had some small rust issues around the back glass. I knew it was common (not as common as the front glass channel rust but common nonetheless) so I checked in on a few body shop repair costs and estimates, and made my purchase contingent on doing the repairs once I enjoyed it for a few months first Essentially, I said to myself that I would drive it for the Spring, Summer and Fall, then drop it at the bodyshop during the winter and have the rust repaired and maybe treat myself to a wing and front spoiler

Boy am I glad I didnt wait longer, haha. It was worse than it looked! Just got a pic from the body shop manager. Could be worse... Figured I'd share. After looking at the rear framerail rust thread, I might have em check that too while its there.

The double-bonus to receiving the car back after the repair is completed is she will have a lovely Ducktail rear lid and RS/CS front Splitter on as well

April 2013:

Dec 2013 in body shop:
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

OUch. I had a pencil eraser sized bubble under the rear glass driver side. I saw all these threads and panic set in. took it in and got it fixed for $600. Mine hadn't migrated under the glass yet...
Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

I was quoted between $700-1200... depending on the extent of the damage. I'm hoping to spread the damage (The $$$ damage) over the spoiler and wing paint and install too, LOL.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:43 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Rich- that's not a bad quote considering the extent of rust-through you have there.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 142 Posts

I hope they removed the rear glass without damaging the plastic surround, the $$ will go up if you need a new glass - ask me how I know!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Yikes, that is pretty damned ugly. Thank goodness for SoCal weather....
Old 01-01-2014, 12:33 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yikes, that is pretty damned ugly. Thank goodness for SoCal weather....
Haha, yep. I'm jealous.

Car was a 1 owner Vermont car with over 100k miles when I found it, wholesaled to some small family dealer lot 30 min north of Albany NY... I saw the rust and still had the car PPI'd at the local Porsche dealership and since it passed the PPI fairly well (no leakdown test), it seemed like a fair price for a car with Power Heated Sport Seats, Leather Dash and Rear Wiper (I coulda done without the rear wiper, lol). When I started tinkering with the suspension and stuff, I couldn't believe how much road grime and debris was still piled up in cracks and crevices like at the bottom of the wheel liners near the side skirts and up un the rear suspension links. Nothing a brush, some cleaner and some elbow grease couldnt remedy... unless it started rusting, which it hadn't where I saw.

I never knew to check the rear frame rail areas til I searched "rust" and now I'm crossing my fingers that there arent lovely holes back there. Will find out soon.

Fix it now and enjoy it for another 18 years preventing it
Old 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Small rust issues? I was thinking about getting one small buble fixed. After seeing this I'm not worried.

Good to hear it's all fixable for reasonable money.

The rear bottom corners of the the rear glass are very good at accumulating water water that just sits there. After rain or wash I stick paper towel under the rubber seal to get water out. Take a peak at how wet it stays under the seal.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:19 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Par for the course Rich, we've seen a lot worse!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...k-warning.html
Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Also you might want to check the rear frame rails, they seem to be even weaker spot than the windows for rust.

Here is one thread for reference, but there are many more in much worse shape.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=785429
Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Par for the course Rich, we've seen a lot worse!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...k-warning.html
Colin, we had a front window seal thread up a few months ago-and it looks like there are two versions of exterior trim-one being a bit wider than the others by probably 6mm. It would span the gap around the window further on to the surrounding sheetmetal. Do you know if there are indeed two versions? The wider one is the one I'm after-if you had it available, I'd order it.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Ed,
When you ask about the window trim, do you mean the push-in rubber seal that goes around the outside of the glass frame after installation?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Ed,
When you ask about the window trim, do you mean the push-in rubber seal that goes around the outside of the glass frame after installation?
Yes Colin, that's the part.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yes Colin, that's the part.
Ed,
I ordered both versions from Sunset a few months ago. The first one had no chance of staying in the channel and the second one is only slightly better. I think one of the problems is that the plastic channel cracks and expands over time, making a secure fit for the seal nearly impossible.

Andreas
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Andreas, the windshield was new-but I had the same issue with the old seal wanting to curl into the void between glass and metal. It's not a problem with the seal staying in the channel. Bill Verburg has a noticeably wider seal on his front window.

Quick Reply: Rear glass channel body rust PICS