Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993s and Porsche Salesmen

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

We have to remember that being a salesman is no longer a career, its just a job. Not sure what kind of reaction you'd expect to get from a Honda dealer if you pulled up in a 600Z coupe? I pulled up to a girl at a traffic light a few months ago. She told me how cute and adorable my car was. I just laughed and said thank you. She was driving a new Fiat 500 and I was driving my 1964 500. She had no clue that her car was a modern take on the original! People are no longer aware of their surroundings, especially at a car dealer. You are more likely to get the salesmans attention with your Ferragamo's than with your classic Porsche!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Actually the dealer where I bought my 2014 991 had two classics. A 964 and a '72 911. When I spoke of my 993 they got all excited and joined in the conversation.

Van1, funny you mention the Touareg. The dealer saw my '13 TDI and even noticed the Brembo brakes and made a comment. They enjoy nice hardware.

On the other hand, a salesman where I chose NOT to buy hadn't a clue of Porsche history or anything that wasn't printed in the current order guide.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever I pull into Hennessy Porsche here in Roswell, Ga, the 993 always attracts an appreciative crowd of onlookers from the sales team. Although I have yet to spend a dime there, they have welcomed me at release parties, concours events, looked up my immobilizer code and shared it with me, fed me, liquored me up, and most recently cut a new key blank for me, gratis. They are tops in my book.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Reaction at my local dealer has either been mild interest to couldn't care less. Haven't had a negative experience, however. That said, there are numerous stories about premium dealers and independents in the Seattle area who have missed out on potential sales due to mis-reading prospective buyers based on what they drive and/or how they are dressed.

Seattle-ites are notorious for dressing very casually, even the very well-to-do. And with Amazon and Microsoft in our backyard, there are a lot of wealthy high-tech types that simply do not show off their high net worth, which has led to salesmen ignoring or mis-treating customers and missing out on a sale. About 10 years ago a pro baseball player walked into a dealer ready to buy a Ferrari in cash. He was wearing shorts, t-shirt, and sandals and was ignored by every salesman. Nobody even came up to greet him. He eventually left and bought from someone else. Nowadays, it behooves all salespeople to not judge a book by its cover and treat everyone as a potential buyer.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

The Hennessy Porsche dealership is nearby as well.
Always a supportive bunch of retailers - parts department, etc.

P.S., I'd question them serving the 993 though.. edit.

+ 1
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

People at both local Porsche dealers know me so I always get a warm greeting. The Sales Manager at one came out to examine the Targa the last time I was there. This dealership is VERY supportive of our PCA Region.

The other Porsche dealer knows me from previous purchases of an X5 and the Maserati. They also have a monthly Cars 'n Coffee so I get to see the sales, service, parts & Motorsport people there too. And, one of their people is a DE instructor. And, the best part - the owner throws the best "Launch" parties around. We've been to a few. One reason we patronize this one.

The sales staff almost sold me a left-over 997 a couple of years ago, and we went there to buy a new 991 when we saw the Maserati (bought it instead). Some of them know and admire the 993, but can only hope that we trade it for something new.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Monkey Brain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't dropped by my local dealer yet, however. the PO has visited from time to time. All of the service guys pleaded with him not to sell it. I'm curious to see what will happen if/when I stop by.

I have been there before I bought the car. Received zero attention. Not even a glance. I guess I didn't look like a $100k book cover.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I go looking for a new car (which isn't that often), I always dress down (more than usual) and take the worst car (or at least the lowest cost) I own at the time. The service I get tells me a lot about who I'm buying a car from.

When we were looking for a car for my wife, we stopped in a local Lexus dealer. Stood around in the showroom for around 10 mins and no one came out to help us. Left and went next door to the Toyota dealer (same dealer, just down the road) and was greeted immediately. Looked at some of their SUV's, but they weren't quite what we (well she) wanted. I asked our sales person to go over to the Lexus dealership with us to look over there. His eyes lit up and he went over with us. He ended up selling us a RX330 and I made it point to let the manager know that we would not have bought it without that salesman.

That dealership now also owns the local Porsche dealer. I haven't been there yet, so I'm interested to find out how they treat me. I won't take the 993 though...

John
Old 12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll sometimes drop into an independent dealer Park Place nearby here just to see what they have in stock. They have a metallic cobalt blue 993 Turbo S in their backroom. I'll receive a couple of the sales guys cards for when I am ready to sell my car... yeah right!

The local dealership when I pull up will use my car as an example of the last of the air-cooled cars to their customers and will comment on how well kept the car is as a testament to Porsches ability to stand the test of time. Everyone is usually pretty happy to answer any questions and will toss you the keys for a photocopy of your license and current insurance card.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

I took my new to me 993 c4s into the dealer for an alignment and they loved the car- I couldn't pick it up for a few days due to travel and they kept in in the service entry indoors polished and when I picked it up they said it attracted a lot of attention - the quote from the dealer guy was " sweet car- there's a lot of people that want to buy it!"

I'd say if you work on these cars and sell them- its hard not to appreciate the 993!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I think dealerships in San Diego respect older cars.

BUT, if one drove in with a spoiler wall that said "There is no substitute", like the photo in the avatar, one should expect all kinds of attitude.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Duplicated for some reason.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
I'll sometimes drop into an independent dealer Park Place nearby here just to see what they have in stock.
bad experience with them back when I was looking...wouldn't trust em for a minute.

Car was spectacular, Metallic Black 4S, Chestnut full leather, HB sport seats, and alu bits everywhere. While filling out the purchase agreement over the phone on the previously negotiated price(I'm in NY), body and mechanical PPI's aready scheduled local to them, the General manager steps in and demand's $5K more for the car.

Would live to know what happened to that car...

My local Pcar dealer treats me very well...I go back thru three owners, back to the mid eighties with Audi's with them. One mechanic is still there, they love the 4S...but all I have them do really is mount/change tires now, and order some parts. They are very gentle with the tire machines.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I usually frequent one if the Porsche dealerships in my area. I've only been in the sales room a few times and every time it's been dead. I mean, no one. No salesman or even a customer. Once I had to ask around for a salesman when I wanted to see when the new Boxster was coming in. He was pleasant and took my name down. Now, the service department is another story. They have repeatedly helped me and go out of their way and even mention they are very fond of the 993.
Is that Concours or International ?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My last visit to the dealer, a couple sales folks were talkin about 993's. Nothin but respect there.

Quick Reply: 993s and Porsche Salesmen