Jack Stand stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:44 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Jack Stand stabilizers

I have been building some jacking aids for my 993 and, as part of that, I wanted a stable top for my jackstands. I liked the jackstands that were offered a while backon the list but did not want to throw away the stands I already had. With my current stands, I definitely did not like the way they contacted the body of the car so I came up with the following attachment:

The idea is that pin positively locks onto the jacking point of the car. I tried a bunch of different ideas but this one was simpliest. The puck can also be reused with a jack to provide a positive jacking connection to the car.

The pin with the plastic **** locks the attachment to the top of the jackstand so it won't slide off..this won't work on all jackstands depending on the design.

Oh, I forgot to include in the shot the rubber pad that cushions the pad on the car..maybe the next picture I take!

I am using these now whenever I have the car up on stands. If there is any demand I could get a batch made up and get some pricing done. I have not looked around to see if you can buy something like this.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

I think it is a great idea! I would be interested in a kit that will fit the Sears type jack stand. And of course I would need 4 of them.

Price?
Old 07-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Robin,

I am not sure about the costs yet. They were fairly expensive to make in small lots (like four) because I bought small lots of material and so on. If I made a larger run of say ten sets it would be much much cheaper. I will calculate it out tomorrow and post!

Oh, I would also be interested in a picture of your jackstands. I know there will be great variety between the stands it needs to support. One idea would be to drill/tap a variety of holes to allow for the variences, or have it custom with every set. The width of the stand also varies so the aluminum channel would have to come in different widths. I prefer the latter because the end product is stronger.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-23-2003, 05:21 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

Just to let you know if the price is attractive I too would be interested in the product (4 of course).
Old 07-24-2003, 07:20 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Robin, Brian:

I priced out the materials the the best I can do is about $140/set of 4. This covers the material, machining, anodizing and of course paying for the rennlist sponsorship!.

I am off on Vacation for the next two weeks so I will repost then to see if anyone is still interested....have fun!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Jack Stand stabilizers