Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANY IDEA HOW MANY "FACTORY" NON SUNROOF 1997 993 COUPES WERE MADE???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:31 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't buy a 993 that didn't have a sunroof...or AC...often the reason something is rare is because it's undesired.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:01 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the car in white! My personal change would be for an RS tail in place of the Aerokit one. But car looks great!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Jeff U
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the clean lines. Beautiful car!

I'd buy a sunroof free 993 in a second.

I never open mine, hate cleaning/waxing around the seal, and think it's ugly.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:11 PM
ANTHONYCAPP
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the glacier white which has a little blue mixed in. As for the comment about rare being undesired, I guess that's open to a bit of speculation. I could see how someone would feel that way and I know many people love their sunroof. I personally love not having one, I think it looks really clean. I also like that you can only get this option in the RS, GT2, GT3 RS and you can no longer even order a regular 911 without one.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NP993
I wouldn't buy a 993 that didn't have a sunroof...or AC...often the reason something is rare is because it's undesired.
I think anyone selling a factory sunroof delete (on a nb especially) will be able to get a substantially higher price for the car when offered in the right marketplace. Not everyone's car but for someone who wants it, it's worth a lot.

Last edited by skywachr; 12-20-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Not having an extra 50 pounds at the highest leverage point of the car.

Being able to wear a helmet that clears the headliner.

Being able to use a cage that allows you to still see through the rear view mirror.

Clean lines of the roof.

Very desirable to some, like riviera blue.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 402 Posts

There is a sunroof delete car running around town here, I have seen it twice. No idea if it is factory or converted later but it looks pretty much stock so I don't know why someone would go through the effort to convert it. It is a artic silver NB Carrera without a basket handle so I would guess it was a 96-97.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
I wonder if its possible to get any official answer on this matter from Porsche. Anyone knows?
Good luck with that. They really do not care to publish these numbers even if they still have them - you are talking about 15+ year old statistics.

There are some published statistics, for example from Andreas Gabriel's book on 911 Turbos, for 1997 he has some numbers:

2020 Coupes built
1796 have sunroofs
237 leather covered steering wheel
963 front seat upholstery gathered leather
789 Aluminum gauges
574 Sport seat left and right
1972 rear windshield wiper

But I have not seen numbers that cover the entire 993 production, and its hard to tell if those numbers transfer to the NB coupes for instance. The TT was the premium car at the time, so you figure it would have had more sport seats (the numbers above seem low to me), and it also says that 89% of the cars had sunroofs.

He also covers all the other years the Turbos were in production, but I just focused on 1997 because that is my year!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The sunroof was standard in the UK. That was a bit optimistic. Mine has gone.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
2020 Coupes built
1796 have sunroofs

He also covers all the other years the Turbos were in production, but I just focused on 1997 because that is my year!

Cheers,

Mike
In numbers 224 with sunroof delete that year. My 993 turbo is also from 1997. First time I seen those numbers. Thanks!

Makes me wonder how many 993 turbos that has sunroof delete, sport seats, aluminum gauges and carbon fibre interior.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:04 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

A sunroof should have an option code, and thus be a 'traceable' count.

I would contact the local dealer, they may be able to look it up. They can usually tell you how many of a certain year/model were produced in a specific color, so I would imagine they could do an option code too? Maybe not.

Try PCNA. They should have records. Whether or not their records are in a searchable database, let alone if they want to look it up, that's a different story!

The Glacier White looks really nice. The subtle blue hue is terrific!

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-23-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
A sunroof should have an option code, and thus be a 'traceable' count.

I would contact the local dealer, they may be able to look it up. They can usually tell you how many of a certain year/model were produced in a specific color, so I would imagine they could do an option code too? Maybe not.

Try PCNA. They should have records. Whether or not their records are in a searchable database, let alone if they want to look it up, that's a different story!
I do not think any dealers have this production info, and if PCNA had it, they are not saying. Porsche has always been pretty secretive about these sort of numbers, and it often takes a direct contact into the factory to get numbers.

Are you saying a dealer should be able to produce this from your experience asking, or you just have that expectation?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-23-2013, 03:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

would love a non sunroof coupe! Very valuable car.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 402 Posts

96 Sunroof delete coupe for sale. No affiliation but seems well priced to me.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tor-sound.html
Old 12-23-2013, 06:29 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I do not think any dealers have this production info, and if PCNA had it, they are not saying. Porsche has always been pretty secretive about these sort of numbers, and it often takes a direct contact into the factory to get numbers.

Are you saying a dealer should be able to produce this from your experience asking, or you just have that expectation?

Cheers,

Mike
Maybe you're right. But FWIW, their friends at Audi usually can tell you certain stuff.

Audi can tell you* the number of year/model made with a certain color (unless its custom, in which case they can tell you how many were in a custom color). They also can tell you how many year/model were optioned with a specific transmission.

*Stuff I've heard from others. The latter example is IIRC from someone on RL. Since a transmission (if there is a choice) would have an option code, I imagine they can tell you how many year/model with option X. However, I think you have to own said car to be able to ask for production info on it. I don't think you can walk in and go "how many blah blah blah blah blah were made".

So my reasoning is that if Audi can, why wouldn't Porsche? Perhaps you're right, Porsche is much more secretive about it. I can't imagine they don't HAVE the info. As a business they have to have records like this. They also need to be able to recognize a car's options based on VIN for service purposes, recalls, etc. I would think.

They can do a COA, so the option codes are linked to the VIN clearly. And they have all the records. I have no doubt if someone in the record department wanted to know how many Riviera Blue 993s with sport seats were made, they could find out. The question is whether or not they allow dealers to access this info, and further allow them to share it.

Happy Holidays!

Quick Reply: ANY IDEA HOW MANY "FACTORY" NON SUNROOF 1997 993 COUPES WERE MADE???