Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear Seat Delete - Anyone fabricate a facsimile?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think all you really need to do is 2D cad of the front profile of the trim that faces the back of the seats. This is the carpet trim frame that outlines the cubby doors and center piece (gives the round/molded look). If you could cut 3, 1 inch thick, MDF templates in the shape of this piece and then glue together, you could router the edges by hand in a jig to get a very similar look to the factory piece. As for the doors, you may need to be a little more creative.

Anyone have thoughts?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
I think all you really need to do is 2D cad of the front profile of the trim that faces the back of the seats. This is the carpet trim frame that outlines the cubby doors and center piece (gives the round/molded look). If you could cut 3, 1 inch thick, MDF templates in the shape of this piece and then glue together, you could router the edges by hand in a jig to get a very similar look to the factory piece. As for the doors, you may need to be a little more creative.

Anyone have thoughts?
The doors seem to be the complicated part of the RSD, I was thinking that a curtain type of system would allow items to be stored and hidden, but would not provide the security aspect for those with cabs.

I have a coupe, so my primary need would be to put things out of sight, so the seats work OK, but it sure would be nice to be able to put something a bit larger, I.e. Wife's purse, or a laptop bag in.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Access would be better with a flip top except when something is on top. It would look clean this way if front access was not a priority.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Aside from the hoops, any difference between coupe and cab?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Aside from the hoops, any difference between coupe and cab?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:36 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shape of the rear shelf itself is different. Cabs are wider.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
Access would be better with a flip top except when something is on top. It would look clean this way if front access was not a priority.
Top access would also be less prone to having stuff fly out in the event of rapid deceleration.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of my upcoming projects Ive been planning to do in conjunction with a speaker and subwoofer upgrade. I agree that a top access cover would work better. As I work this out in my head I'll translate it into a built up unit. It is not my intention to try an copy the RSD but rather come up with something along those lines that fits my needs. I never thought that there would be this much interest in this.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
A custom (I've given up on a real OEM piece) rear seat delete has long been on my wanted mod list. I have absolutely no CAD or design abilities, but have invisioned someting with the top opening. I think it could be more "secretive" and secure without the front doors. I invision a long piano hinge at the rear hidden by the typical carpeted mat that many have on top of their folded down rear seats. The lip at the front to keep things from going forward would also be the "handle" to lift the lid. Not convienent if cargo is on top I guess would be it's only shortcoming.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like 4 options of the same basic concept:

A = Completely fixed, no access to anything.
B = Fixed, but with cutouts facing forward, but with a lip - so you could slip small items in.
C = Same as B but with doors.
D = Same as A, but top is hinged.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

OK, it's 2014 now - anyone willing to help us all create a template so we can all build a custom RSD?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am interested in this idea as well. The stereo upgrade is my angle and would like to have it look as oe as possible. I have 3d cad abilities as well.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:25 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vincer77
I am interested in this idea as well. The stereo upgrade is my angle and would like to have it look as oe as possible. I have 3d cad abilities as well.
Hey Vince,
I've got a RSD in my car that a modified to fit. Found it in a salvage yard in Canada. I forget what model it was for,but it turned out decent. I would be willing to pull it out of the car,and let you take a look at it,if it would help.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That be great!. Let me know when it is convenient for you.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:58 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Now we are getting somewhere :-)

Just yesterday I thought I was onto something. A company that had on their website a note that they fabricated RSDs. Contacted him and he was nice enough to share some info - that as a business model it never made sense, so they don't do it any longer. But, for a bunch of enthusiasts it should work fine. As we already know, the first step is finding somebody with a RSD that is willing to let it be examined and templates created for our particular cars.

I think we could create an A and B plan based on the same frame. Version A would just have rectangular openings biased toward the top of the unit where we could store loose items. Version B would have a door with hinges and latch that fills that space. A becomes the "RS" example (lighter weight, less complex, and B becomes the standard model.

For fabrication I see this as like what Ikea does. Somebody with access to some sort of CNC type machinery that can punch out parts could package up the various rough cut pieces and ship them out - with some consideration of course for their time. Or, if we could find a finishing type shop that could use the correct carpet / covering material and actually create the finished product... That might be another option - unfinished or finished. To not make it too many options, maybe "black" could be offered "finished" and those with other colors can go with the unfinished version. Me, I'm not handy, so I'd probably take an unfinished set and have my local shop install it using Porsche materials.

The originals were pretty beefy built of thick plywood. I would think we could lighten things up a bit?
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Delete - Anyone fabricate a facsimile?