Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: McLaren P1...faster than 918 at the ring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default OT: McLaren P1...faster than 918 at the ring?

Looks impressive. Rumor is that it did a 6:45...

Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the transitions between extreme displays of power with the car noises and the serene landscape and regular music. Crazy looking car. Reminds me of racing video games from a while back (always raced the 'ring). Thanks for the video.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

....this is Ron speechless...

What a beautifully done video. Awesome job McLaren!

Orange Stig triumphs!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 AM
Nautilus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great video.

If it is faster than the 918, only they (McLaren) know, but the fact that they decided not to release the time tells the story as far as I am concerned.

I think that the biggest advantage of the 918 is the 4WD; the P1 is much lighter but with that huge amount of power you want to have 4WD... particularly in a track like Nürburgring with so many slow corners (where the active aero is of little use).
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nautilus
particularly in a track like Nürburgring with so many slow corners (where the active aero is of little use).
Ummmm.... Maybe we're thinking of different tracks?

With exception of a few low speed technical corners, the Ring is pretty much exclusively a high speed track that relies on fast, off camber, strange transition corners. Active aero would be great for the ring.

I personally think there's no way that Porsche lapped the Nordschleife faster. The P1 is more powerful and weighs much much less than the Porsche porker. I believe they will withhold their time until LaFerrari runs; after which the time will be "mysteriously" leaked from Woking.

Porsche could have used all the amazing weight saving techniques they incorporated on the 918 and simply left off the batteries and motors to have a 640HP, 1100 kg monster with the most compelling V8 engine ever made! Unfortunately they made a nearly 4000 lb computer controls showcase that will not have anywhere near the future desirability of the Carrera GT.

And honestly I couldn't give a damn about ring times... It just bums me out that Porsche made an over-complicated super sports car that is more for the Cayenne and Panamera grocery getter elite, than the GT3 and CGT enthusiast owners. Between that and the 911 quickly becoming a tiny Panamera, I guess I'll just be sticking to the simple, lightweight, reliable, old Porsches for the foreseeable future.

(rant off )
Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jstyer
Ummmm.... Maybe we're thinking of different tracks?

With exception of a few low speed technical corners, the Ring is pretty much exclusively a high speed track that relies on fast, off camber, strange transition corners. Active aero would be great for the ring.

I personally think there's no way that Porsche lapped the Nordschleife faster. The P1 is more powerful and weighs much much less than the Porsche porker. I believe they will withhold their time until LaFerrari runs; after which the time will be "mysteriously" leaked from Woking.

Porsche could have used all the amazing weight saving techniques they incorporated on the 918 and simply left off the batteries and motors to have a 640HP, 1100 kg monster with the most compelling V8 engine ever made! Unfortunately they made a nearly 4000 lb computer controls showcase that will not have anywhere near the future desirability of the Carrera GT.

And honestly I couldn't give a damn about ring times... It just bums me out that Porsche made an over-complicated super sports car that is more for the Cayenne and Panamera grocery getter elite, than the GT3 and CGT enthusiast owners. Between that and the 911 quickly becoming a tiny Panamera, I guess I'll just be sticking to the simple, lightweight, reliable, old Porsches for the foreseeable future.

(rant off )

Think back to the 80's....Porsche 959, F40.....history may be repeating itself.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, and I think i watched 1:19 to 1:25 about 100 times.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 AM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a beautiful video...brought tears to eyes.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:14 PM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. Sounds like there's a tea kettle in the cockpit.

Quick Reply: OT: McLaren P1...faster than 918 at the ring?