Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How did you buy your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 AM
gs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: How did you buy your first Porsche?

I've been saving for a few years toward one day buying a 911. (Right now, I'm hoping to get into a 993). The thread on rennlisters' ages a while back, and the occasional "your Dad's buying you a TT?!" post has gotten me thinking...

If you don't mind me asking, how did you buy your first P-car?

I'm just curious - there's a great variety of enthusiasts here - forgive me in advance (FMIA?) if I've offended any one.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:50 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I was 22 when I bought my first. I was starting to do quite well at work and could afford it. Even 10 years later in my 2nd Porsche, people assume it's "Daddy's car". Pretty annnoying!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:56 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Bought mine this year as my 40th b'day present. I think you'll find most of the people on this board bought their car on their own when they thought that they could afford it (or couldn't wait any longer!).
Old 07-18-2003, 12:08 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I got out of the U.S.Army, in '71 after a tour in Southeast Asia, I bought a bright orange '69 911T with my ETS nest egg....her name was "Pumpkin". In those days the 911's had a few more bugs than now. I still have fond memories of that car. I vividly remember going to pick a young lady up for a date and her saying "Is that a new Corvair".

Those were the days .

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by p_carfan; 07-18-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:15 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 353 Likes on 157 Posts

I bought my 66 911 in 1967 when I was 17. I worked 40 hours a week when I wasn't in school, 7 hours of school and 8 hours of work, everyday, and EVERY penny went towards car payments, car insurance and speeding tickets! Even though a 66 911 in 67 was only $6800 it seemed like a fortune back then, and everyone thought my parents bought it for me. NOPE!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:15 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Billh,
I did the same thing, bought it as a 40th B-day present to myself. Same model just different color! I actually started putting money aside when I got my license at 16, some years more than others until I had my nest egg to spend. I guess I am very good at delaying gratification!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:40 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went into a local high-end used car lot (Porsches, Ferraris, etc), said I want that one, and filled out the paper work. Well, almost. I drove a couple, and choose from them. I was in a hurry, as I had a first date that night, and I wanted to impress her. I picked her up in my new Porsche, and in six weeks or so we’ll celebrate our fourth anniversary. She says it wasn’t the car.

Tom
’95 993
Old 07-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my first Porsche when a friend was giving his away. This was in Hong Kong, where if you in the market for a Porsche the only thing to have is a new one (conspicuous consumption rules), and if you could afford only a second-hand car you couldn't afford the insurance on a Porsche. So my friend was left with a pretty-well worthless (no market) 924, and I said yes. Bear in mind parking at my apartment was USD450 per month back then.

I kept it for 3 days before junking it to a guy who built and raced cars in Macau.

I bought my first Porsche, an 81 911SC when I moved from HKG to the US in 97. Never looked back. I had dreamed of owning a Porsche car for ever. I never owed money on a car, always paid my own way, and never, ever regret buying a Porsche.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:02 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default my first

I bought my first Porsche for my wife; a new '74 2.0 liter 914. She beat it to death and hated it for 4 years. I finally bought her a car she liked and took her's over as my own for 13 expensive and unreliable glorious years. I finally sold it for a new '87 911 coupe which I kept for 2 years and impulsively bought a fantastic black '89 Targa. I figured I could do without it after 5 years. Wrong!!!!!!!!! I went through Porsche withdrawal in 2 weeks and ordered a 993 for factory-pickup. It is a '95 993. I still have it and have never considered parting with it. I need professional (not sales) HELP!
Old 07-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Bill - that Turqoise blue looks awesome!

Back to the topic - I bought my second 911 ('96 C4S) as a B-day present for me (39).
Old 07-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Bought my first in 95.. An 89 964 C4 after crashing my Corrado into the woods... (long story..) Actually not that long.. I was looking for a CD and I took my eyes off the road.. learned my lesson that day (duh..) Needed a better car.. decided to go the 911 route; living in Maine at that point, the C4 was great in the snow.. loved that car.. love the 993 as well..

Coleman.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Labatt
Instructor

I actually had no intention of buying one (I know, for shame). I was bored one day at the end of winter and stopped by a neighbor's house to see if he wanted to test drive cars. Being in a small city, we've got a choice of only four "luxury" cars - BMW's, Mercedes, Jags and Porsche's. I already have a BMW, so we decided to test drive Porsche's. I had no intention of buying a car. I saw my 993 on the lot, took it out for a test drive, and one week later I picked it up. I've still got a bunch of years till 40 (less than I used to), but my company is doing pretty well, so it was a gift to myself for doing OK...
Old 07-20-2003, 08:59 AM
callipygian 911
Racer

I just purchased my first 911 last month. Ever since I was a wee babe, I'd always dreamed of owning one of these gorgeous german-engineered legends. So here's the story: I graduated from Oberlin's chem department about a year ago (at a late-blooming 27), and decided after moving to San Diego that my first order of business should be to buy a 911 convertible. After about a year of searching for the perfect specimen within my price range, I finally set my sites on an unadulterated 1984 slate blue Targa: totally straight body, strong engine. I bought it from the second owner, a guy in his middle-twenties, who was pretty happy to see it go to a 28 year old (no offense intended to you seasoned drivers out there). He recounted several stories of how his p-car got him questioning glances, or snide comments, ie "I never owned a Porsche when I was your age," and so on. I flew up to Salt Lake City, paid cash, and brought it back to San Diego all in the same day. It was like driving through a dream. Fast forward. so I dropped my baby off at the local Porsche mechanic last week for a full servicing, and the first thing out of the secretary's mouth was "is this your dad's car?" I guess I'll just have to get used to it Anyway, I am in love with this car, and hope to keep it for the rest of my days.
Cheers!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Freeman:

You are not the Lone Ranger !!! I went through a TEN year period during which I moved to San Francisco after ridding myself of my 911, so I could take public transportation, walk up and down the hills to stay in shape, and swear off of the fetish of Porsche worship. Aww, I got over it, and decided that I would worry about it later....maybe 100 years from now,....and just enjoy the addiction.

Old 07-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

1976; looked in several dealers for car I wanted, couldn't find it. Finally went into one and arranged for him to order one. One later came in that was close to my desires. We negotiated price, I gave him green stuff and he gave me the keys.

Ones since then have been "pre-owned" ("used" in English). Prices went up faster than my salary.

Quick Reply: OT: How did you buy your first Porsche?