Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L.A. Area Rennlist Fun Run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 10:18 PM
LeeR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Tom C's choice of roads. Last time (when it was foggy) we did the identical route, up to the Mullholland/Encinal fork just west of Kanan. Then we took Mullholland to PCH and back south. Tom's route is longer, but more road = more fun. (reminds me of Yogi Berra comment: "when you come to the fork in the road, take it!")

Only problem I see is that on the way back there will likely be a lot of traffic on PCH in Malibu and south, due to time of year, i.e. hot weather and beach goers. So probably a good idea to start early.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Dane k.
Instructor

Aug.3 is great..7AM is a bit early,coming from O.C.,but I understand the traffic thing.Look forward to it....Dane K.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Tom C.
Instructor

Yup, this is a fun drive . . . you just have to be extra careful on Sunday with all the Bikers . . . but the further north we get (past the Rock Store) the less traffic we will encounter.

7am is a good idea . . .
Old 07-23-2003, 04:25 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

7am what are you guys crazy....
Just kidding.. You can count me in too.
Sounds like a ton of fun.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Yippee. I have my car back from the shop. Longest 6 weeks of my life. It's georgous. I'll be there.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:29 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My alignment problem resolved I will be there on either date. Aug 3rd works for me.

Stump Rd. is a nice alternative which can be reached from either Mullholland or a back way I recently discovered from Topanga to a street in the middle of the village (I'll find the name later) up to Saddle Peak rd and onward up to the top of Stump, otherwise know as "The Top of the World" as you have nearly a 360 view of the ocean, valley and city. Proceed down Stump to Mulholland west toward and across Malibu Canyon, past the Rock Store, across Kanan and then either Mulholland, Encinal, Decker, PCH back up to Leo Carillio and Mulholland up to the 23 North into Westlake...

I have not yet taken the 23 North from Mulholland into Ventura County so I am not familiar with the route from there.

Gonna be fun!
Old 07-23-2003, 08:32 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

7 a.m. = less CHP/Sherrif, less bikers, less beach/tourist/local traffic = More fun!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Tom C.
Instructor

fbfisher - The road that turns into Saddle Peak is Fernwood Pacific Drive off Topanga Canyon . . . and the path you mention is an even better drive than Old Topanga to Mulholland . . . great idea.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:27 PM
LeeR
Racer

fbfisher: It's "Stunt" not "Stump". I think it's named that because there is a Stunt Ranch up there where they do stunts for the movies. There have been more movies and TV shows filmed up in these parts than there are 993s. Malibu Canyon State Park used to be a Twentieth Century Fox back lot, and lots of great movies were filmed there, as was the MASH TV show.

That's a good alternative to Old Topanga, but like Old Topanga, it's very winding. Adding the Encinal or Decker, PCH north and back up Mullholland to 23 on to the route adds a fair amount of twisty mountain driving to the trip. I'd vote for Encinal, as I'm pretty sure it's faster and less twisty than Decker. With these additions, everyone should know that we well be doing enough twisties to qualify for the Chubby Checker award.

I used to ride all these roads frequently on my 1970 Triumph Bonneville in the 70's. Also drove a 912 at that time.

Also note that Encinal goes by an Honor Ranch (euphemism for prison), and no ride in the boonies is worth its salt if it doesn't pass by a prison.

Quick Reply: L.A. Area Rennlist Fun Run?