Sponsored by:

OT - For the Pilots at RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
It was a general aviation accident. It was our Company plane (Cessna 206 with floats). We were coming in for a landing on water, cleared by the tower, weather looked good. At about 70 knots we hit a microburst that lifted the left side such that the right wing tip caught the water. Cartwheels, etc..... came to a rest upside down in water and covered in fuel. Wing damage resulted in stuck doors. Three people uninjured. Person next me was killed. I was busted up and nearly drowned. Many complications due to Av-gas in my lungs. I'm all back together thanks to a good surgeon, a bunch of stainless steel hardware, and a cadaver bone. I am lucky and grateful and am about 95% back to where I was prior.

I hope I don't take this thread off track. Apologies to the OP.
Gotta ask - will you ever fly again? I know I wouldn't if I had an experience like that, but frankly, I try to avoid air travel as much as I can anyway.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:54 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Unless it is part of the Allegiant fleet out of Oakland Airport.
lol! +1!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I know it was primarily the V tail that earned the Bonanza the title of "Doctor Killer" but I think the point is these are the Rolls Royce's of SEL airplanes and attract those with more money than skill.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Hoserpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my private license more than 20 years ago my grandmother gave me the accident report from my grandfathers death. He was a passenger in a bonanza flying in the Canadian Rockies. Pilot only had 900 hours and did the 'ol vfr into imc in mountainous terrain. British Columbia is beautiful but has some very high and remote terrain. After 14000 hours of flying I still think about the lesson learned from his death.

I'm on the hunt for a hangar and then an Stinson 108-3. Gotta fly something low and slow. Although my maddog is a real flying plane I miss grass strips and hangar talk.

Sorry about your beautiful Bonanza. BlueTtop, glad to hear you are OK from your accident.

Time to go for a drive in the German Mistress! Gotta buy pumpkins to carve tonight!!! Hmm, wonder if I could make a Porsche pumpkin?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:50 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a new pilot I hate hearing these stories...However all incentives are good incentives to be vigilant and conservative when flying.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
However all incentives are good incentives to be vigilant and conservative when flying.
Complacency, hubris, and ego lie at the root of almost all aircraft accidents (barring mechanical failures).
Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, glad you survived the float plane crash!

Did someone mention "low and slow"? After about 10 crow hops, the biggest thrill of my life was holding back on the stick.
Attached Images   
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
It was a general aviation accident. It was our Company plane (Cessna 206 with floats). We were coming in for a landing on water, cleared by the tower, weather looked good. At about 70 knots we hit a microburst that lifted the left side such that the right wing tip caught the water. Cartwheels, etc..... came to a rest upside down in water and covered in fuel. Wing damage resulted in stuck doors. Three people uninjured. Person next me was killed. I was busted up and nearly drowned. Many complications due to Av-gas in my lungs. I'm all back together thanks to a good surgeon, a bunch of stainless steel hardware, and a cadaver bone. I am lucky and grateful and am about 95% back to where I was prior.

I hope I don't take this thread off track. Apologies to the OP.
Wow, quite a story and glad you recovered. No apologies needed. Yours was truly an "accident". Mangling 57W was stupidity and carelessness. I have gone around many times if a landing wasn't looking or feeling good to me.

If you have to fly single engine, the way to go is Beech, IMO. I will take this sentimental post to (for once) agree with Quadcammer - William Boeing and Walter Beech build tough airplanes.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 PM
billqj
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike,

That is a pretty A36, I know you must miss it a lot, and tho you don't own it now seeing it wrecked is bad. I had Bonanzas and B55 and E55 Barons.....the Barons are almost identical to Bonanzas except bigger tails and 2 engines, but still that perfect control feel. I suppose Bonanza = 993, Baron = 996TT.

Bill
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If it ain't boeing, I ain't going
So you'd rather fly this:

Than this:

Can't possibly imagine something I could disagree with you more about.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billqj
Hey Mike,

That is a pretty A36, I know you must miss it a lot, and tho you don't own it now seeing it wrecked is bad. I had Bonanzas and B55 and E55 Barons.....the Barons are almost identical to Bonanzas except bigger tails and 2 engines, but still that perfect control feel. I suppose Bonanza = 993, Baron = 996TT.

Bill
Thanks Bill. The 55 Baron is a beauty and an absolute rocket ship - the plane that an A36 owner would love to have. You are a lucky man to have flown those Barons. I disagree with your comparison, thought - A36 = 993C2, B55 = 993TT.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Thanks Bill. The 55 Baron is a beauty and an absolute rocket ship - the plane that an A36 owner would love to have. You are a lucky man to have flown those Barons. I disagree with your comparison, thought - A36 = 993C2, B55 = 993TT.
So what is the B58? The 993 TTS? I worked for a flying club/FBO in the early '90s that had 30 airplanes. We had a few late 60's V tail Bonanzas and a '89 A36. We also had a nice B58 Baron. It was a POS when I first started but after a new paint job and interior it was a real nice plane.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:44 PM
cbcc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low and Slow

Never a good thing to loose such a beautiful Bird.
I fly a WWII Aeronca L3 - tail dragger that always keeps me honest.
She is not fast - 80 knts top speed , stall at 35 knts and always needs constant
flying down to shut down. For those pilots who are not tail drager certified - would highly recommend getting such certification.
I own a 1995 993 cab with manual transmission because I enjoy the organics of shifting and the sound of the flat six air knocker - much like my Aeronca L3. Hand propping is also very organic!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:47 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

The B58 is a long fuselage Baron - same fuselage as the A36. But you know that already.

The single engine version of Bill's 55 Barons would be the F33A - the short fuselage Bonanza. IMO, the best looking Bonanza ever made - and that from a former V35B owner too. Just gotta watch that loading envelope on the F33A and V35B - it's about t-h-i-s wide and can be quite a handful to fly aft of CG. Scared me a couple of times.

The long fuselage Bonanza solved this problem, hence the A36.

Sorry about the boring Beechcraft trivia.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Mike Cap mentioned Walter Beech...He founded the company but sadly, died early on. It was his wife, Olive Anne, who kept the company alive and growing. I had the pleasure of meeting her on a couple of occasions...a very classy and extremely intelligent lady....One of the true pioneers of the aviation industry like Clyde Cessna. Sports, Bonanzas, Barons, Dukes, Queen and King Airs...brings back fond memories. I left before Raytheon took over. Back then, the airframe industry in Wichita was one great big fraternity. Seems everyone knew everyone...even if you worked for a competing company, you were still friendly to one another.

Quick Reply: OT - For the Pilots at RL