993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - For the Pilots at RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts
Default OT - For the Pilots at RL

Really off topic other than it involves transportation and a fine piece of machinery ruined through carelessness.

I know there are a number of pilots here at RL, so a quick story to go with the photos. A few years ago I sold N7257W my 1987 Beech Bonanza and it ended up with some lawyers out of the Nashville area. My mechanic and I had loved on that plane for the ten plus years of ownership and it was certainly the finest A36 on earth when I sold it. Kind of like our 993's only with wings and a bigger air-cooled engine in front..... I had many hours of enjoyment flying and working on this plane. Just like the 993.

Last week I got a call from an aviation friend down south who told me to go to AviationChat. Yes, the pilots managed to land long and hot at an airport in North Carolina and destroyed a beautiful piece of machinery. The two souls on board survived with some minor injuries. I have more photos and a video of the post-crash. I will say that Beech built one tough and rugged airframe - the airplane want off the end of a runway and down an hill on to an access road. The cabin was basically undamaged and there was no fire.

No real point to this sad story - just a sentimental post and a toast to a really great airplane destroyed for no good reason. Funny how we get attached to cars and planes.....

Photos below of N7257W in happier days and last week.
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She was a beauty Mike, bet you wished you had kept her.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by six gun
She was a beauty Mike, bet you wished you had kept her.
Thanks Six - you aren't kidding. I was so busy with work and cycling at the time that my flying time went down. But I still have the hangar, didn't need the money....just a plain dumb *** decision.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Having barely survived a crash last year I am fascinated with all accident stories.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:27 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
Having barely survived a crash last year I am fascinated with all accident stories.
You will get all you want from this.

http://planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm
Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 PM
993/907
Pro

That was indeed a BEAUTIFUL A36!

Gordo
Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

I would think that would be the last topic you'd be interested in. Were you involved in a commercial or general aviation aircraft accident?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Bummer! What a waste! Back in the late '60's and early '70's, I was a vendor to Beech, Cessna, Boeing and Lear Jet in Wichita. Had full access to all the plants and can attest to the high quality and durability of Beechcraft. Don't know if it's common knowledge but back then, all Beechcraft employees were required to be a passenger in one of their planes at least once a year....A great incentive for everyone to do their jobs to the best of their abilities.
This classic line is most appropriate: "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 10-29-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

Nice plane. Sorry to see it banged up.

I can't imagine selling my plane unless I was upgrading to something faster.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
I would think that would be the last topic you'd be interested in. Were you involved in a commercial or general aviation aircraft accident?
It was a general aviation accident. It was our Company plane (Cessna 206 with floats). We were coming in for a landing on water, cleared by the tower, weather looked good. At about 70 knots we hit a microburst that lifted the left side such that the right wing tip caught the water. Cartwheels, etc..... came to a rest upside down in water and covered in fuel. Wing damage resulted in stuck doors. Three people uninjured. Person next me was killed. I was busted up and nearly drowned. Many complications due to Av-gas in my lungs. I'm all back together thanks to a good surgeon, a bunch of stainless steel hardware, and a cadaver bone. I am lucky and grateful and am about 95% back to where I was prior.

I hope I don't take this thread off track. Apologies to the OP.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was a general aviation accident. It was our Company plane (Cessna 206 with floats). We were coming in for a landing on water, cleared by the tower, weather looked good. At about 70 knots we hit a microburst that lifted the left side such that the right wing tip caught the water. Cartwheels, etc..... came to a rest upside down in water and covered in fuel. Wing damage resulted in stuck doors. Three people uninjured. Person next me was killed. I was busted up and nearly drowned. Many complications due to Av-gas in my lungs. I'm all back together thanks to a good surgeon, a bunch of stainless steel hardware, and a cadaver bone. I am lucky and grateful and am about 95% back to where I was prior.
Wow. That is insane. Glad you made it.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how do u over run so bad in a SEL bug smasher?
For me, twin engine jet fuel types built in Seattle, only...
Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I love bonanzas. Spent many hours in them back in the 80s... Never be afraid to go around in any airplane if it doesn't look right.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
how do u over run so bad in a SEL bug smasher?
For me, twin engine jet fuel types built in Seattle, only...
If it ain't boeing, I ain't going
Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If it ain't boeing, I ain't going
Unless it is part of the Allegiant fleet out of Oakland Airport.

Quick Reply: OT - For the Pilots at RL