Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Moved to 'burbs...SUV recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: Moved to 'burbs...SUV recommendations?

Hey guys,

Hope all is well! Missing you guys!! Been out of Porsche loop for a while as we've been busy moving to the 'burbs. Now that we have more parking and an actual need for a 3rd car (wife can't drive 993 since it's a manual ), we will eventually need another car. We currently have a 2000 E46 and the 993. Looking for something bigger for an eventual family and a little more practicality. Probably leaning towards a CPO (< than 40k miles) as I can get more car for the money but I also understand with new car incentives a new car may be a close deal.

Considering the usual suspects (in no particular order)...
  • Porsche Cayenne S
  • Porsche Cayenne GTS
  • Porsche Cayenne TT (good deals to be had?)
  • BMW X5
  • Audi Allroad (maybe too small?)
  • Audi Q7 (maybe too big?)
  • MB ML
  • MB GL (maybe too big?)

I understand this is OT, but I truly respect your guys' opinions so any advice or experience you have with any of these vehicles it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

If the Audi Q7 is too big, add the Audi Q5 to your list. It's smaller. My sister has one and loves it. Interior is best in class and I think it looks great on the outside too. She's had it for a good while, and it's been very dependable.

Best of luck on your search
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Tom 328
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not on your list, but I've owned a few Range Rovers, and despite the outdated lore, they're wonderful. My '06 has 110k and drives like the day it was new.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
If the Audi Q7 is too big, add the Audi Q5 to your list. It's smaller. My sister has one and loves it. Interior is best in class and I think it looks great on the outside too. She's had it for a good while, and it's been very dependable.

Best of luck on your search
Originally Posted by Tom 328
It's not on your list, but I've owned a few Range Rovers, and despite the outdated lore, they're wonderful. My '06 has 110k and drives like the day it was new.
Thanks for the quick response guys. I think the Q5 may be a bit too small as I feel the ideal size would be in the Cayenne/X5 range.

I like the look of the Rovers but i'm a bit scared of their past electrical problems. Have they gotten better?

Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Tom 328
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arrwin
I like the look of the Rovers but i'm a bit scared of their past electrical problems. Have they gotten better?
They have, and anyone who tells you otherwise almost certainly hasn't owned one from the last 5-8 years. Thanks to the influence of cars I love to hate...toyota, honda, etc...there are no bad quality cars anymore outside of random occurrences. The only repair I've had in 7 years and 110k miles is a radiator replacement at 80k. I wish the same could be said for my BMWs, or the 993 with only 37k for that matter
Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I have a 2008 Range Rover and a 2013 G63.

Both are nice and icons in their own right (kinda like the 911).

The Range Rover has all the room and practicality one would expect in a SUV. Timesless design unlike many other SUVs (chev, audi etc). With BMW engineering build into them (2002+) they really have come leaps ahead in reliability.

The G wagon is an interesting little animal with the upright seating, big front and side glass with little dash and a-pillars. Interesting like a 993.
The G wagon with the twin turbo V8 is so wrong, its right. Just a ***** out hot rod from the factory wrapped up in a little jeep. I enjoy it dispite its steep price tag and numb steering. Im into it. Its me, and i am a 993 guy.

I have looked at new Cayenne which is clean design and lightweight with everything you would expect in a Porsche, but alas i wanted something a little more classic for a SUV. More truck then car.

Perhaps the new Macan is worth the wait as it appears to be a nice little commuter SUV.... small but capable.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:22 AM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Completely YMMV but I own a 06 V8 Touareg since '07 and have had 2 little things go wrong with it (parking sensor and #8 coilpack) both of which have been replaced under warranty. It's been everything and more than I could ask. I thought of upgrading or trading in but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and has features that some of the new high end SUV don't even have, including my friends '13 RangeRover Sport.

Speaking of him, he had an '06 Touareg as well, traded it in 6 months ago and has been regretting it ever since. Not electrical problems but just about everything else has been a major PITA. Every time we go for lunch at work he wants me to drive because he misses the Touareg.

If I ever to trade it in thought it will probably be a for a '11+ Cayenne S or a Macan S.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 557 Likes on 377 Posts

Arrwin,

Congrats on the move! Although not on your list, you may want to check out an Acura MDX. My wife has one and LOVES it. It drove better than the Q7 and was much more usable inside than the X5....MDX has a 3rd row seat which was a must now with kids, carpooling, etc. Check out the CPO 2nd Gen versions. No dreaded post 50k warranty fear either. Check out the reliability ratings on the X5, i think '08's had some real issues.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 AM
initial
Instructor

Dont be scared by Land Rover electronics. I have had a 2004 Discovery since 2005 and never had any electrical problems. I have however had a leaking power steering pump and arcing plug wires but that is the extent of it in 8 years of ownership.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Acura MDX
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Toureg is pretty awesome... While shopping for a new SUV for my Mom, I looked at X5/X3, Mercedes ML, Q5, and the VW. She ended up going with the Merc ML, but out of them all the new Toureg was far and above my favorite.

However, something in me would feel really crazy dropping $55k on a Volkswagen.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Hey! You guys settled out on LI? Guess CT is just not that attractive..

I would have bought a Cayenne if not for the extra room in a GL and wanting a diesel. Q7's rear sloping rear roof cramps up that space. New Tourag V6 diesel might be an option also. They have come down in price and can get one with CPO competitively. X5d older gen power plant won awards for the best diesel engine in Europe for years. They can be had at a good price.

I love Range Rovers. Land Rovers ride a bit hard I thought..

Land Cruisers are tanks and hold value extremely well. If you don't need to drive far, then it may be a good choice. Mileage is terrible if you put miles on them..
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used Cayenne turbo's are supposed to be really cheap, and Cayenne in general probably drives better than anything else. But then, you will be "that guy". Same problem with BMW and MB. I am always intrigued by the Touareg with the V10 Tdi. Range Rover do look superb. Can I talk you into a german wagon?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KT
Used Cayenne turbo's are supposed to be really cheap, and Cayenne in general probably drives better than anything else. But then, you will be "that guy". Same problem with BMW and MB. I am always intrigued by the Touareg with the V10 Tdi. Range Rover do look superb. Can I talk you into a german wagon?
Finding a competent mechanic for the V10 TDI is a challenge. Parts cost an arm and a leg. People still want a lot of money for them.

German wagon is a great choice and storage space is equal to a Cayenne. Wife prefers field of vision in a SUV or there would be an E500 4matic in my drive way..
Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What's your budget?
For everyday, MBs are great.
I've had GLK for almost 5 years and it's been very reliable. I would go for for ML550 or ML diesel (depending on your preference) but they are already big and heavy so might as well get GL with extra row. 63 AMG versions are a bit of a waste where I drive esp on an SUV. ML63 is nice tho.

Keep in mind if you look for CPO GL 550 they are loaded (almost everything was standard on 550) and they can be had for $50-60k now, just keep in mind that the air suspension is weak point.

Quick Reply: OT: Moved to 'burbs...SUV recommendations?