993 Forum 1995-1998

Washing engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Washing engine bay *Before and After Pics Page 3*

Did a search first. Didn't find what I needed.

I want to degrease and wash my engine bay. What needs to be protected from water? I am not going to pressure wash it, just spray degreaser in there and hose down.

I know many will question why I want to do this. The reason is because it is dirty and I want it to be clean.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cowhorn; 10-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

I would use some tin foil over the heater air intake, air cleaner intake, distributors, and the two electrical panels on the LH and RH side of the engine compartments.

The tin foil works well because you can shape it and it will stay in place ok.

"A clean engine is a happy engine". No questions from me about it !!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

While I would never do this, cover what the poster above suggests and have at it. I think you'll end up with a lot of greasy water pooling due all the nooks and crannies and the engine tin separating the top and bottom of the motor. My opinion, its probably easier with a bottle of your preferred cleaner and a few dozen towels.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I have washed the engines on most every car I have owned, with never a problem. I get the engine warm to the touch, but not hot, spray it down with Simple Green, and hose it off, but not using a forceful blast of water, just a gentle spray. I wipe off any pooled water, then start the engine and let it run until it reaches full temperature.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I've done it several times on all my p-cars without covering anything. I'm just careful not to directly blast the critical areas mentioned above.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I have washed the engines on most every car I have owned, with never a problem. I get the engine warm to the touch, but not hot, spray it down with Simple Green, and hose it off, but not using a forceful blast of water, just a gentle spray. I wipe off any pooled water, then start the engine and let it run until it reaches full temperature.
My procedure is similar, I have not warmed the engine, prior, what is the reason for that?

spray simple green, let it soak a little, I use an old tooth brush on metal parts that have built up grime.
I remove the nozzle from the hose so there is a decent volume of water, but not a lot of pressure behind it. avoid distributor, air cleaner opening, electronics on left side of engine bay. personally, I don't think a little over spray isn't going to kill anything. I also clean off the bottom of the engine and brush where I can.

rinse, then I take the car out for a drive and let it blow dry.

I have done this on most every car I have owned, including 3 air cooled Porsches, and never had any problems.

A clean motor is a happy motor, plus I think my mechanic appreciates it.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Everything is right here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...detailing.html

And always here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html
Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One suggestion- I would be careful with some degreasers as they can embrittle plastics and rubbers and also etch aluminum if left for long periods in direct contact. I believe simple green is not recommended for aluminum. Just be quick with solvents. Also- strong degreasers seem to ruin the anodized black coating on newer Porsche brake calipers.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
just spray degreaser in there and hose down.
That will get most of it, but I always use a 1" paintbrush and toothbrush as well, along with my favorite water based degreaser which is then followed by a good rinsing using a soft spray nozzle. I've never covered anything.

The end result was a reasonably clean engine compartment.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,061 Posts

No No No! Don't do it: “accept the things I should not fix, have courage to fix the things I must and have the wisdom to know the difference”
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 AM
driveline
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just some useful technical knowledge. Get the msds on the cleaner online. Aluminum does not like very basic solutions. ph of 11 is bad. Do not use formula 409! Use mild detergents or petrol based stoddard solvent.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

don't hit it with the hose....be brave and lose some knuckle skin like the rest of us....by hand with a damp cloth or not at all
Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just looking for a degreaser as well. Down there is nasty (engine low side and grearbox) and as well my engine bay.How about the citrus degreaser version? Simple Green will work?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
And here:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...de/Engine-Bay/
Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by driveline
Aluminum does not like very basic solutions. ph of 11 is bad.
The product I use, Facto AT30, has a pH of 12.7 undiluted which is the way I use it 99% of the time and I have yet to see any detrimental effect on aluminum or painted surfaces in my nearly 30 years of use.

Facto AT30 Description:
A liquid detergent concentrate specially designed to add a new dimension to exterior cleaning of modern mass transit vehicles including aircrafts. Safe for use on most hard surfaces including aluminum, lexan, Plexiglass®, enamelled and lacquered surfaces. Excellent in tunnel washers and portable spray units.

Quick Reply: Washing engine bay