Sponsored by:

Santa came early to my house!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
LWF... I'm envious. Post your impressions when you get it done.
My experience was mostly great. Getting used to the noise, especially while in the garage with the clutch out at idle, took some time. Truly sounds like something is broke. Acceleration and shifting much more responsive. The door stop dual mass was shot when I got the car so maybe not the best comparison.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:10 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I take credit as a Rennlister as being one of Kika's friends who help to PUSH him down that slipperly slope! But, in all honestly, it really only took a slight nudge.

Good luck with it Kika. Just remember your Rennlist friends who will be drooling over your mods everytime we see you at C&C!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Yes, I take credit as a Rennlister as being one of Kika's friends who help to PUSH him down that slipperly slope! But, in all honestly, it really only took a slight nudge.

Good luck with it Kika. Just remember your Rennlist friends who will be drooling over your mods everytime we see you at C&C!
Actually, Marc only needed to show the slope to me and I took a giant flying leap off it.

Since we are in full disclosure these are the rennlisters that contributed to my delinquency

Gonzilla: Row turbo sways! one drive was all it took
Mgianzero: Golden Rod! Offered to help install, glad I did it
C4SJohn: LWF, a simple text message and I jumped

It's all good though, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the improvements made so far.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Kieth, Nice mods for the P-Car. You'll definitely enjoy them once they're in.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

That slippery slope really started with the tie rod pinning party back in February. Once you took that drill in your hands and got dirty under your car, you were hooked!

Next thing ... Kika's going to get a lift in his garage.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Some progress photos.

new rotors, brake pads, brake lines and painted calipers and working towards the AC evaporator (Thanks LuckyJ!!!).

Clutch and LWF were installed monday. my clutch was right at the edge, maybe slightly over it, so I was definitely due.

Should be done soon, hoping for today, so I can drive it this weekend, but no later than next week.
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

^^^^
Well, that's one way to get more trunk room in a 911. Heck, you might be able to get a full size spare in that space now!

Guys, it was so great to get a group of 4 RL'ers together to meet up at Ruben's with such short notice and have an opportunity to learn so much from a 911 expert. My slippery slope just got really steep!

So Kika, with the 165 x 40 18's I just bought for my rears from Ruben, what the appropriate size for my fronts? Can you share that tire chart you've got?

Thanks guys for the great company and fun lunch.

Last edited by mgianzero; 10-11-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really want to touch that garage door to see what would happen.

Your going to love that LWF
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mgianzero
^^^^
Well, that's one way to get more trunk room in a 911. Heck, you might be able to get a full size spare in that space now!

Guys, it was so great to get a group of 4 RL'ers together to meet up at Ruben's with such short notice and have an opportunity to learn so much from a 911 expert. My slippery slope just got really steep!

So Kika, with the 165 x 40 18's I just bought for my rears from Ruben, what the appropriate size for my fronts? Can you share that tire chart you've got?

Thanks guys for the great company and fun lunch.
I'll email it to you. and you really got 265/40-18s, not 165s
Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Whoops. Sorry, I typed too fast. If they were 165's, I could probably use them on my bike!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul902
LWF... I'm envious. Post your impressions when you get it done.
Well, I finally got my car back, had to get a new temperature sensor for the evaporator (Griffiths) as we broke the original bending it, and it took 2 weeks to get one from Germany.

LWF impressions, I must have lucked out, and/or my ears aren't as good as other people's, as I do not notice ANY increased noise, no rattling what so ever.

The most significant change is that the motor spools up much quicker, I found myself at 4K driving where I would normally be at 3K. I tend to coast to stops in gear, and take the car out of gear as I stop, so I didn't really notice the RPM drop coming to a stop. I suppose the RPMs drop more quickly between shifts as well, but I didn't really notice, it spools back up quickly anyways once it is back in gear.

I haven't really put many miles on so these are just my initial impressions. I plan to do a longer drive tomorrow and exercise it a bit more.

If I had to offer any advice to other street cars, unless you simply have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket, wait until you need a clutch or your tranny is out, then install the LWF at that time.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 PM
schubee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
I'm the guy that overfilled my blinker fluid reservoir....
...you forgot about the muffler bearing!
Originally Posted by Kika

LWF impressions, I must have lucked out, and/or my ears aren't as good as other people's, as I do not notice ANY increased noise, no rattling what so ever.
Mine is usually quiet when cold; after it warms up, the "rattling" kicks in! Not sure if you have Fister III's but that'll definitely camouflage the bucket of bolts!

Btw...where did you obtain the Porsche decals or stencils for your calipers?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L23FPorsche
My experience was mostly great. Getting used to the noise, especially while in the garage with the clutch out at idle, took some time. Truly sounds like something is broke. Acceleration and shifting much more responsive. The door stop dual mass was shot when I got the car so maybe not the best comparison.
Did your shot DMF give you any symptoms? Could you post your 4k to 1k rpm time here? Is the LWF noise more prevalent once the car is warmed up?

thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Kika, thanks for your initial impressions. I found a NIB second hand Sachs LWF kit for sale and picked it up, but I am uncertain now what I actually already have in my car, since my RPMs drop faster than some peoples cars already. Could you time how long it takes to drop from 4k rpm to 1k rpm and post it in my thread here?

Do you notice any noise when accelerating in second from below 2k rpm?

cheers,
Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by schubee
Mine is usually quiet when cold; after it warms up, the "rattling" kicks in! Not sure if you have Fister III's but that'll definitely camouflage the bucket of bolts!
Whatever flywheel I have acts like that with temp. What do you have, John?