Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 turbo engine and a 997 CUP/RSR sequential transmission in a 993??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Jesus Christ on a motorcycle! Someone's been drinking Kossu lately... Love it!

Of course the smart/easy/cheaper/more sensible way would be to just open up your checkbook and buy a 997 cup car (or something similar) but like Juha said, where's the fun in that?

I think by now it should be fairly obvious Juha has a hot rod heart and there no stopping that, there's plenty of "crazy" folks like that in Scandinavia (and all over the World) who doesn't want something you can buy, they rather build something you can't buy.

Adding all the plumbing & coolers seems totally doable, there's many of them but with the front bumper and then opening up the hood and directing the air out there, you have pretty good surface available.
Then you add stuff on the wing, rear fenders or even in the back seat area with air coming in from roof scoop, there shouldn't be shortage of surface area & airflow.

More Kossu Juha, you're so doing this.

Petu, you and Trophy got it 100%!!!

I think my ultimate goal is 700hp in this current chassis...but I think I will take the scenic route and get a 993tt engine first. It is a direct fit so I can just throw it in for next summer. Open up the exhaust (no cats, no mufflers etc.), throw in some GT2RS intercoolers and tweak the fuel and ignition maps (I will be running the engine with my Motec) for more torque and hp. (Think 450hp). I think the car will be faster then with the current setup.

Then later on I can decide whether I want to dig into the aircooled engine or get a waterpump instead... I'm sure a 993tt engine will not decline in value so I can allways get rid of it if I decide to get a 997 engine.

Petu, BTW, I have a surprise for you're when you coming down (or should I say up?)... I am putting together my Kinesis wheels so weather allowing, we will be on Michelin racing slicks on the 28th...

Originally Posted by Bradford
It sounds like you are dead set on sticking with the 993. If I were you, I would try and get a ride in a well set up 993TT with 550+HP. I'm somewhere between 550-600HP at 1.3 bar of boost and the car is a handful. Good luck
I agree with Race911...it's all in the setup. Once done properly, the car will not be a handfull even at 700hp.
But yes, you got it...I am sticking to the 993. I may get a 7GT3RS in future but I will not be trading the 993, it will (hopefully) stay in my garage untill I'm too old to drive it...
Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Old man Juha!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
That was kinda why Tony quickly got us the first lap. (He led through Lap 4.) Slicks or not, he's been at this rodeo before at Miller with Cups being extremely underdriven. To the extent that his simulator work with one of the pros at Sears Point specifically had him dicing with bat-out-of-hell down the straights/park it in the corners modeling. Also, understand those opening laps were 15+ seconds off the qualifying pace.

The Speedcast broadcast of the race, with two of the most underprepared announcers in the history of announcing: http://www.speedcasttv.com/nasa/#/races/354
Tony's driving was (is) brilliant. Driving a non-ABS Cup in the wet is a tad tricky, I purposefully backed off going into 5 to let the obviously better handling BMW's by. It was a 45 minute race I wasn't about to win it on the first lap. Very clean driving on everyone's part during that race.....
Old 01-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

BTW I've driven a very high HP 993TT around the track in Spokane, so lots of elevation change. The car was very twitchy and not confidence inspiring at all. There's one hump coming out of turn 2 where the car gets very light and comes back down under full power. Probably the AWD system looking for traction but it would give quite a violent wiggle upon landing. Personally I'd prefer the newer 997 chassis for that much power it's a lot more stable.
I rebuild my sequential gearbox at least once per season...you sure you want to go there? The H pattern gearboxes are bullet proof stick with them....put in a good LSD.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
BTW I've driven a very high HP 993TT around the track in Spokane, so lots of elevation change. The car was very twitchy and not confidence inspiring at all. There's one hump coming out of turn 2 where the car gets very light and comes back down under full power. Probably the AWD system looking for traction but it would give quite a violent wiggle upon landing. Personally I'd prefer the newer 997 chassis for that much power it's a lot more stable.
I rebuild my sequential gearbox at least once per season...you sure you want to go there? The H pattern gearboxes are bullet proof stick with them....put in a good LSD.
I think it all depends on the setup. Mine will not be a high hp 993tt with just beefed up suspension. It will be a full blown GT2 EVO replica.

I found a original Porsche Motorsport GT2 EVO engine with G50/54 gearbox from Belgium (well, the engine actually found me).
The car is in pieces right now and will be put together with original motorsport parts.
The track is MUCH wider than that of the 993 turbo thanks to the EVO bodywork. I can put 14" slicks in the rear. The front suspension is also pushed outward 30mm per side ala factory race cars. Something that is not possible on the 993 turbos.
The suspension will have fully adjustable control arms and links with all monoballs and solid bushings with tilt kit in the rear.

I don't know what the engine will lay down but considering the 3.6's peaked 600hp and this one is a twinplug 3.8 with bigger turbos, I'd assume it will be adequate...

The gearbox has a 80/80 locking differential and according to the factory WSM, it should be opened every 30hours of racing... might as well be a sequential box.

I will run the engine with Motec and will add a boost control unit so I can dial the boost down.

http://m3supercar.1g.fi/kuvat/993/GT2+EVO+MOTORSPORT/

Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

That should do it....sounds awesome have fun...
Old 02-11-2014, 04:13 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 997 RSR turbo, just ask if you want to know anything
Old 02-11-2014, 08:01 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Subscribed

Subscribed

Quick Reply: 997 turbo engine and a 997 CUP/RSR sequential transmission in a 993??