Sponsored by:

Run from this C4S or???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
How so? It's a 162K car without any documentation re: engine work that was bought for the express purpose of flipping.

(I recently received yet another unsolicited inquiry about selling my 4S in the $30-32K range. I'll guess it presents itself much better than this car.)
Let's look at what's available in the market (I'm using cars.com in the whole country as a proxy):

The cheapest 993 coupe on cars.com is $23k with 142k miles, accident and auction in carfax history.

The next cheapest is offered for $31k with auto and 122k miles. Add to this price for manual and WB and subtract for extra 40k miles and you would be at about the offer price +/- a few grand.

The cheapest coupe (non-targa) with manual is $35k with 65k miles.

The cheapest WB is offered at $47.5k with auto and 71k miles with 7 owners and 2 auctions in its history.

There are 5 WBs listed - one supercharged, one with auto, one for 69k, and 2 for reasonable 52-54k.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Let's look at what's available in the market (I'm using cars.com in the whole country as a proxy):

The cheapest 993 coupe on cars.com is $23k with 142k miles, accident and auction in carfax history.

The next cheapest is offered for $31k with auto and 122k miles. Add to this price for manual and WB and subtract for extra 40k miles and you would be at about the offer price +/- a few grand.

The cheapest WB is offered at $47.5k with auto and 71k miles with 7 owners and 2 auctions in its history.

There are 5 WBs listed - one supercharged, one with auto, one for 69k, and 2 for reasonable 52-54k.
How long have these cars been on the market? These are not asking prices and thus offer limited value. A Rennlister is selling a green with Blk interior with 65K coupe asking $31K. That is a number that will move a 993.

High mile cars offers a cheap entry point but potential high running costs unless you are a good DIY. After the car sorted, you still have a high miler. There are still enough of these cars around being traded.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Versus what a guy in the business has picked up, lightly reconditioned, and is trying to flip. Versus my own experience, while not being a dealer by any means, I do have an ear to what's going on.

(Earlier this summer a long-time acquaintance bought a sub-100K 4S that is probably a little worse cosmetically than my car in need of a top end for $30K. He's fully capable of doing the engine himself; won't be his first time at the rodeo. Another friend, who posts here infrequently picked up a Turbo for mid-$50s maybe six weeks ago that had ~60K miles and was not really in need of any work. It was on the market for at least two months.)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 PM
MGibilisco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The above post is what pushes me away from this car. Too many reasonable cars out there remaining.

Not to mention I feel a solid $15k of work in the near future on this car.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by race911
Versus what a guy in the business has picked up, lightly reconditioned, and is trying to flip. Versus my own experience, while not being a dealer by any means, I do have an ear to what's going on.

(Earlier this summer a long-time acquaintance bought a sub-100K 4S that is probably a little worse cosmetically than my car in need of a top end for $30K. He's fully capable of doing the engine himself; won't be his first time at the rodeo. Another friend, who posts here infrequently picked up a Turbo for mid-$50s maybe six weeks ago that had ~60K miles and was not really in need of any work. It was on the market for at least two months.)
I'm sure you know about these cars more than I ever will, but are you saying 162k miles is bad just by itself? We have seen on this forum that 300k is possible without major work.

Even your example supports the pricing. $30k for a car that needed top-end rebuild (not sure what shape worse than of your 4S means) vs. car offered for 35k, which may sell for $30k that may or may not need top end rebuild. The devil is in the details, which we don't have (or maybe you do, not sure). If this car had first clutch replaced at 111k miles, don't you think it's a good indication that most miles are highway and that engine might in a pretty good shape?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:59 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by chsu74
How long have these cars been on the market? These are not asking prices and thus offer limited value. A Rennlister is selling a green with Blk interior with 65K coupe asking $31K. That is a number that will move a 993.

High mile cars offers a cheap entry point but potential high running costs unless you are a good DIY. After the car sorted, you still have a high miler. There are still enough of these cars around being traded.
What do you mean they are not asking prices? That's exactly what they are. They will not be selling prices, if that's what you mean. But neither will be the price of the car in question. I'm not saying somebody should go and pay $35k today for the car in question.

I remember the green car being for sale, but is it WB? Don't recall it is. And how many would reject it simply based on the color? That car is so unique that I would say it's not a very good comp.

What amazes me is that when I was looking for 993, there were way over a 100 993s on cars.com and a dozen of WBs. 3 P dealers in my area had one 993 each ($56k convertible with 15k miles, $28k convertible with 90k miles, and C4S with 67k miles that I got) plus bunch of non-P dealers and privates. There are now a total of 4 993s for sale within 100 miles of me and all convertibles. So either 993 sellers stopped using cars.com or the inventory has shrunk. You can always find a good deal, but that requires work, time and knowledge.

Last edited by NYC993; 09-09-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way you slice it,if this car were listed at 30-32k it'd already be sold! End of story.The markey IS crazy right now and it'll bring more than most of us are willing to pay.Good luck in your search...thats half the fun
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

We have seen on this forum that 300k is possible without major work.
That is a one owner car vs multiple owners. Comparing apples to oranges
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993;

What do you mean they are not asking prices? That's exactly what they are. They will not be selling prices, if that's what you mean. But neither will be the price of the car in question. I'm not saying somebody should go and pay $35k today for the car in question.

I remember the green car being for sale, but is it WB? Don't recall it is. And how many would reject it simply based on the color? That car is so unique that I would say it's not a very good comp.

What amazes me is that when I was looking for 993, there were way over a 100 993s on cars.com and a dozen of WBs. 3 P dealers in my area had one 993 each ($56k convertible with 15k miles, $28k convertible with 90k miles, and C4S with 67k miles that I got) plus bunch of non-P dealers and privates. There are now a total of 4 993s for sale within 100 miles of me and all convertibles. So either 993 sellers stopped using cars.com or the inventory has shrunk. You can always find a good deal, but that requires work, time and knowledge.
I meant sell prices. Darn mobile key pads and small screens.

Buying a car is just like buying anything else. Well informed buyer makes a better purchase than one who did not do their homework. You are "paid" with savings.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I meant sell prices. Darn mobile key pads and small screens.

Buying a car is just like buying anything else. Well informed buyer makes a better purchase than one who did not do their homework. You are "paid" with savings.
Agree! And buy the best one you can afford. These cars are very rewarding but they can be very expensive to maintain. Unless a high mileage car has been perfectly maintained and rebuilt, you are rolling the dice and often it can result in big $$$$ to get wear and tear items fixed.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 659 Posts

This car is now on eBay.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM
MGibilisco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm probably passing on a great car. Add it to the list!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 AM
geshaghi
Cruisin'

Hi All,
Car is mine. I appreciate and understand the feedback and comments. A high mileage car like this is not for everyone, but I've tried to describe it fairly. Anyone who wants to come over and take a look, or have PPI performed, is welcome. The car drives and looks like a much lower mileage car. It was hard to come up with a fair asking price for the car given the mileage, as there are limited comparables, but as I looked around it was clear to me that the market for widebody 993's has gone up in the last year. There aren't too many C4S's available for sale at any given time, and they are often garage queens that come with a premium price. This car is ideal for someone who wants a driver or a track car. The initial posting of the car generated a flurry of interest, and I received a couple of offers from dealers or brokers that I felt were a bit light. The car is currently on eBay, and I believe it is the lowest price 993 C4S available for sale at the moment. I debated putting the car up on a no-reserve basis, but lost my nerve in the end
My intention is to lower the reserve and buy-it-now as the auction progresses. We'll see where things end up!
Thanks
George
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
cmd4
Pro

Will be interesting what this ends at and somewhat a true indicator of what these cars are bringing.Tell tale in about 6 hours

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...ht_1319wt_1039
Old 09-15-2013, 09:17 PM
geshaghi
Cruisin'

Reserve has been met as of early this morning. Had another interested party come inspect the car today and I took it on a nice long test drive with him. I'm starting to feel serious pangs of seller's remorse.....

Quick Reply: Run from this C4S or???