Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New 993 repair manual from Bentley Pub.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Maurice [B]
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm the sales & marketing manager for Bentley Publishers. I figured I'd jump in here after Charlie/cabcoh1's post, as he's the editor that has spent the better part of 2013 knee-deep in this project. We're pretty psyched to finally have this manual on its way!

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no turbo?
Unfortunately not. For us to have properly covered the turbos, although there obviously would be some cross-over, it likely would have had to be its own stand-alone book.

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I hope that Bentley manual has wiring diagrams in color.
Wiring diagrams are B/W although the repair procedures are in color.

If folks have any other questions about our 993 manual, please feel free to chime in here and either one of us can hopefully try & answer them.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:57 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work guys! Thanks for coming in to post w us

I could not have survived Volkswagen ownership without Bentley
Old 09-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Maurice [B]
Unfortunately not. For us to have properly covered the turbos, although there obviously would be some cross-over, it likely would have had to be its own stand-alone book.
gotcha, there is a lot of crossover so I'll probably buy one anyway.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 PM
L741_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiring diagrams are B/W although the repair procedures are in color.

If folks have any other questions about our 993 manual, please feel free to chime in here and either one of us can [U
hopefully[/U] try & answer them.
Do you have a sample picture of the wiring diagram you can post? For me this section of the manual would be most beneficial. Your manuals on Audi's and VW's have been great, nice to see you publish one for the 993.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Because it can't hurt to ask. Any chance for a group buy?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default You Never Have Enough Information

Twenty five years ago, I rebuilt a 911T 2.2 motor, with nothing other than the factory shop manual as a guide. Though the motor was incredibly more simple than today's Porsche motors, the use of the manual was a chore. Obviously written by Germans with English as their second or third language, the write-ups were incredibly difficult to understand. And, even when you finally understood the write-ups, there were the inevitable errors. I successfully completed the rebuild, but it was a chore!

Fast forward 25 years, and I arrive at a decision to rebuild my 993 3.6 motor. Though "similar" to that 911T motor, the 3.6 is significantly different, and incredibly more complicated when you begin to "layer on" all the emissions and fuel injection hardware and accessories that where not on my 911T.

So, as before, I had both a hard copy and a pdf rendition of the factory manual, both of which presented the same challenges I had 25 years ago! I am not complaining about the Germans, but as with any other language, their choice of words varies greatly from my Southern version of English. And, there are still the unavoidable errors that crop up.

Until the Bentley manual was announced, I had every publication known to man at my fingertips. Adrian's book, which is pretty and volumous, but really is not meant for someone doing restoration. It usually sits on bookshelf collecting dust.

The shop manual is ok, but it is cumbersome. I even have the small 3x4" factory Technical Booklet for the 993......which has a wealth of information in it.......but, not everything. For instance, neither the shop manual nor the tech book list all the information needed to fully identify piston/cylinder information. And, the manuals usually are not year specific on their information. Trust me on that!

Having said all that, there are three resources that have been essential for my 3.6 motor rebuild. The first is both the Pelican and Rennlist forums. I can usually do a search to find information on most specific questions I have. The second is the step-by-step procedures on 993 engine rebuilding put up on Rennlist by folks such as Mike Juzenas and several other Rennlisters. The third is access to true Porsche "experts" such as Steve Weiner at Rennsport, my choice of shops to do all my machine work.

Having used Bentley manuals before for BMW's and my old 89 Carrera, I found it to be the best of available after market manuals. Since I have similar expectations on the soon-to-be issued 993 Bentley Manual, I immediately ordered one. It may have some errors, which they all do, but it will be a wonderful addition to my resources.

By the way, since all these written resources have errors inherent in them, my technique (probably not unlike yours) is to read the material in every resource involved. At the very least, this helps me "translate" the awkward English in the OEM shop manual. At the most, reading more than one treatment of a procedure usually points you to the error in one or more of the write-ups.

So, contrary to any pundits who have expressed caution at pre-buying the Bentley manual, my suggestion is to add it to your library........sight unseen!

Just my two cents.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Maurice [B]
Wiring diagrams are B/W although the repair procedures are in color.
That is unfortunate because following parallel black lines that are that close together, its easy to crossover from one to the next.

Do the sheets at least fold open to something sizable? If so, what size?

And are there 4 sets of electrical diagrams for all years?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

stop being so picky alex... if you buy the Bentley, i heard you get entered into a contest to win a free can of Xenit...
Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 657 Likes on 319 Posts

Ordered mine thanks for the heads up
Rich
Old 09-07-2013, 09:01 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I got one. 150 shipped is not too much to consider this another reference.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:45 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

The bummer as quad pointed out is no turbo bits included. Still probably worth to have. I use it religiously for the M3 and has helped many a friend at the track. I also echo not having a Bentley for a vw/Audi is crazy talk only way to fix those cars without using a rag and a match
Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
stop being so picky alex... if you buy the Bentley, i heard you get entered into a contest to win a free can of Xenit...
I still have half a case of the stuff just sitting there.

Consumers should be picky; its their dollar! Just checking to see if Bentley did their homework or took a shortcut regarding the electrical diagrams for the various years. And if you've worked from the electrical diagrams that we have, then you'll know what I mean. Some do come in color and that makes a world of difference in ease of use. It seems the only solution at the moment is having them scanned and enlarged.

I've put myself on the Amazon.com alert list. We'll see who has a better price.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

i follow i follow, yes no doubt
its just a good resource. im definitely starting to sound like a Bentley "fan boy" so i need to cool it, but i wouldnt have survived my passat without their two volume set. the most frustrating part was trying to find them at a 'deal', even used... it stung a little but after i had them i was very grateful. and i turned around and sold them within hours for the same money.

i used their diagrams more then i used the step by steps. hands down beats any other consumer grade manual. i dont recall there being colored wiring diagrams in my last set....

one day id love to have the real paper shop manuals in my garage. i always feel like there's no substitute for a paper book in your hands / on your workbench, rather than smearing grease all over your laptop and ipad (which in my case miiiight be property of my employer lol )
Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Somebody mentioned Xenit ?
just received my case of 12 cans shipped to Paris costing $169 after all taxes customs etc.
which purchasing power, in Europe?
I hope the Bentley is useful, just for the sake of the guys here who pulled the trigger
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

lol

Quick Reply: New 993 repair manual from Bentley Pub.