Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SoCal (+Arkansas & Nevada!) RL meet this morning @ Irvine C&C-pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live for the thrill of new experiences and for a first time 911 owner there are a lot of first time experiences to be had. The Cars and Coffee event on Saturday had a lot of firsts for me. Meeting at the I-5 rest stop at 5:45am was the beginning. Driving quickly from there in the dark, in the fog, with a pack of 10 or 12 911’s that have been cooped up in the garage all week was exhilarating. At times our group was spread out over 3 lanes to maneuver around slower traffic. We all fell into line just in time to exit smartly at Alton Parkway. I wonder what other drivers thought of this swarming pack of Porsches.

Turning into the entrance driveway to the Ford and Mazda corporate headquarters with the sun just starting to come up, we were greeted by surprisingly large group of spectators lining the curb to get a glimpse of the cars coming to be displayed. I got the chills realizing this was going to be something big. It was maybe 6:15 and the parking lot was already over half full.

After meeting a lot of great RL folks (sorry, I am terrible with names), and thanking Ed Hughes for bringing us together. I made a sweep of the lot with another C&C newbie, Tom, to see what all was there. I felt a little numb with sensory overload. So many amazing and extraordinary cars all in one place. And like others have said, there seemed to be at least one of everything. Back to the RL group it was time to take a closer look at the other 993’s. What a great group of people, totally enjoyable. By 8:30 I was fading, many folks had already taken off, so I decided to do the same.

When you do the same old thing over and over, the days tend to blend together and the memories fade. Doing something totally out of the box, a first time adventure, can make a lasting impression. This last Saturday was one of those lighting in a bottle moments that I will always remember.

Ed, thanks again for motivating and gathering the SD guys for this little run. I look forward to meeting up again.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI, imported celebrity RJT asked me to relay:
She won't be able to check Rennlist 'til she gets home. She looks forward to posting once she & Robert roll back into Arkansas or hopefully earlier.

Ed-- Great plan & excellent execution
Originally Posted by Mark Harris

Amazing what is available to you guys & gals to see every weekend.
+993 ^^ California dreaming ... a dream come true for me to make it to CA and witness the Irvine C&C in person with so many great RLers
Originally Posted by Eric in SD

So many amazing and extraordinary cars all in one place. the RL group it was a great group of people, totally enjoyable.

a first time adventure, a lasting impression. Saturday was one of those lighting in a bottle moments that I will always remember.

Ed, thanks again for motivating and gathering guys for this run. I look forward to meeting up again.
Well said, Eric!

Thanks to all for allowing an out-of-stater be part of your group. I was the starry-eyed kid taking it all in for the 1st time. WOW. From the photography shared above, I now realize I only saw a fraction of the coolness parked in the lot.

I got home late Saturday night. Just downloaded the following pics today. Will download cell shots later & post on RLer nine9six (Paul)'s "Irvine C&C" thread.

In the meantime, hope you enjoy the following photos 1/993rd as much as I enjoyed seeing familiar faces & meeting new friends ... you guys & gals are great!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As always: if anyone prefers a photo prominently featuring their face be removed for privacy purposes, just let me know & I'll gladly remove...

Just saw RLer sdCabrio in Monterey last weekend! Last time we saw each other before that was in 2009 at Laguna Seca Raceway
Brian-- Thanks for stopping by the Legends of the Autobahn Concours to saw hi with your brother & friend.
Amazingly cool to cross paths twice in two weeks

Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian's classic color combination cab just looks SO right

^^ Next to SDCabrio's top-down cruiser is RLer civerson4 (Chad)'s Midnight Blue beauty with the top up. You wouldn't know it by its pristine appearance in these pix, but Chad & I did did some hefty driving together at the 993Fest. That's where we met in June.

Chad-- Where will I see you next?

RLer KJR914 (Keith) showing off his ***et with its newest mod: painted bumperettes

Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Early morning dew on the sheet metal...

Old 08-26-2013, 05:02 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You'd think anyone in front of RLer Niche's 964 would smile uncontrollably, but not this guy

RLer 993C4RS (Chad) sees his chance to slide into '993 row' & makes his move:

Yes, we know that if you have a pulse, you LUV Chad's wheels
However, getting to casually learn much more about this fascinating RLer & his ride was a highlight of the C&C...

...For example, his cool decal on his hood is a Porsche part.
That's just 1 of many insights that show his attention to detail

Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lots of great cars & great people...

...some finely accessorized in the latest racing garb

Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like fun. Too bad I missed it
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Doc ^^ 'Fun' describes being around RLer nine9six (Paul). Besides being a fired-up enthusiast, he has one of the most gorgeous & exotic paint jobs I saw all day: Turqoise Green

Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

By the way, that's RLer For202fly (Matt)'s black 993 next to Niche. He's a new 993 owner, having only had her for a month. He is SO fired up!!! If you get the opportunity, you gotta meet him: he's fun of newbie enthusiasm & questions - which is cool. He test drove >7 993s, then bought his ride sight-unseen. Great story, great guy, & he'll remind you of how enjoyable it was when you were a new owner, too.

Matt-- It was a ton of fun meeting you & Nicole (IIRC; sp?), & especially fun to share the experience of each other's 1st Irvine Cars & Coffee

What are the odds of getting to park between Paul's Turquoise Green & Ed's amazing Midnight Blue 'Saphire'? ...I shoulda bought a lottery ticket

...er, uh, between Saphire & Chad's black C4S: when nine9six left, 993C4RS saw his chance to escape from the Buick Estate Wagon (!) & move between 993s:

Speaking of beautiful shades like Turq Green & Midnight Blue ^^ you've certainly noticed 1pcarnut (Roger)'s Zenith Blue ducktail, parked between Keith & Chad above. You'd see it even if your eyes were closed, it's so visually irrestible. As I recall, he's won 1st place in all 5 Concours judged events he's entered. ...& it's easy to see why

Niche (Javier) breaking out to go grab some breakfast & save seats:

Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
RLer KJR914 (Keith) showing off his ***et with its newest mod: painted bumperettes
Haha! Jaeger, stop looking at my assets! Everyone else was back it in , but I know my girl....freshly painted bumper blocks or not, that's her best angle! ...and you can't see the beat up lower front bumper I've got from hitting AX cones!

Great to see you again so soon! For those of you RL'ers who have not met this character and his lovely wife (who somehow after multiple weekends of car shows still has a smile), they are quality folks.

Great to meet the rest of the RL crowd, and I'll apologize now for the names that I won't remember next time...
Old 08-26-2013, 05:37 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Keith ^^ Good call: my wife IS amazing. I need to learn to be a good husband someday, she deserves so much better
We both enjoyed seeing you & thanks again for the 'test drive' in your C4S -- you & that spirited drive were one of the highlights of a great San Diego weekend earlier this month!

Speaking of San Diego & cars: Ed scooting out from his 1st social engagement of the day. Only 2 more to go (including Shelter Island's wine tasting; life's rough )

Check out RLer Gonzilla (Mike)'s rare Recaro A8 seats

Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For Keith & other 914 fans:

Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Pendler prototype comes with a free coffee mug on the dash ...but where's the cup holder?!

Quick Reply: SoCal (+Arkansas & Nevada!) RL meet this morning @ Irvine C&C-pics!!