Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help! - Car not accelerating or idling well after temp at replacing sparks and wir

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I did my leads and plugs a while back and on the initial test the car did not run smooth so I checked all the leads and noticed I had swapped two around.

Tripple check that all leads are in the correct position and seated properly.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

i feel like ive checked the spark plugs atleast 10 times. I think im going to redo the install tomorrow, maybe ill see something i missed. I've almost given up.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

also the car smokes a little more then usual from the mufflers, i dont know if that means anything.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

Sounds like you have the correct wires going to the correct plugs. Tomorrow check again during your redo to make sure the other ends of the wires are plugged in the correct slots on the distributors. Your oriention on the distributors may be off slightly CW or CCW, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:46 PM
cbk07
Intermediate

Remove one coil wire and start engine.

Shutoff engine, replace first wire and remove other coil wire. then restart. See if car runs the same. If not, something has been wired wrong at one distributor. If both are the same, then something else must be going on. Did you do replace caps/rotors?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 PM
cbk07
Intermediate

Also, the rubber thing they talk about cutting off comes on the new Beru wires I believe. I think they are talking about the rubber plug that goes through the engine tin to protect the wires from chafing on the tin. I just did my plugs and wires today and all of the dividers and rubber grommets were pre-installed on the Beru wire set
Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Originally Posted by cbk07
Remove one coil wire and start engine.

Shutoff engine, replace first wire and remove other coil wire. then restart. See if car runs the same. If not, something has been wired wrong at one distributor. If both are the same, then something else must be going on. Did you do replace caps/rotors?
I removed the main coil on the primary distributor today and started the car same problem. So it's not the drive belt. I will try running the car on the secondary distributor tomorrow.

And oh that makes sense with the rubber piece. I understand now. And your lucky your car turned back on lol.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Sounds like you have the correct wires going to the correct plugs. Tomorrow check again during your redo to make sure the other ends of the wires are plugged in the correct slots on the distributors. Your oriention on the distributors may be off slightly CW or CCW, if you know what I mean.
i just checked again now, and they are all in the right spot. According to the diagram online and the numbers on the caps themselves.

Also my caps and rotors are about 3 months old. so they are fairly new.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry missed this thread.

I need more data. When you say "won't accelerate" you mean its powerless but smooth, or it's missing and does not pull, or the engine is balking and jerks.

You have to carefully look at what you changed or moved/disturbed in order to diagnose the problem.

It sure sounds like you have the firing order wrong on perhaps one piston. Just to confirm, you found TDC on the main pulley and fan case, and then confirmed that the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire on both distributors? (Note: if this does not work and the rotor is 180 degrees out, rotate the engine over clockwise a full turn until the TCD mark is aligned again, you are on the other side of the cycle).

Once that is confirmed and you know which post is #1 on the cap and it definitely is connected to the correct #1 spark plugs on the upper and lower banks, then move to the next post clockwise on both distributors. That is the next spark position, which is #6. Confirm end to end that the right wire is running from the cap to the plug (and no twists in the spark plug wires are hidden under the manifold for instance) and going to #6 on both the top and bottom plugs. Rotate clockwise again, and do the confirmation for 2.

I looked over the pictures, the wires look to be on the correct posts from what I can see, but your wire routing is not very tidy. This should not impact the running of the car, but you have some lines overlapping others in the wrong order. Given the lines are all numbered, its hard to go wrong though.

The characteristic of a single swap of two spark plugs (say bottom 1-2 is now 2-1) may not show up in the idle, but can be felt as a misfire or lack of power at higher rpm. This is why I am asking about what exactly does it feel like. Does it pull at all, or is just weaker?

It could be a vacuum leak, but the small ones (like the one that feeds the actuator on the heater fan) is inconsequential - the car will accelerate fine with that unplugged.

I think you have this towed to a shop now anyways?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
Sorry missed this thread.

I need more data. When you say "won't accelerate" you mean its powerless but smooth, or it's missing and does not pull, or the engine is balking and jerks.

You have to carefully look at what you changed or moved/disturbed in order to diagnose the problem.

It sure sounds like you have the firing order wrong on perhaps one piston. Just to confirm, you found TDC on the main pulley and fan case, and then confirmed that the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire on both distributors? (Note: if this does not work and the rotor is 180 degrees out, rotate the engine over clockwise a full turn until the TCD mark is aligned again, you are on the other side of the cycle).

Once that is confirmed and you know which post is #1 on the cap and it definitely is connected to the correct #1 spark plugs on the upper and lower banks, then move to the next post clockwise on both distributors. That is the next spark position, which is #6. Confirm end to end that the right wire is running from the cap to the plug (and no twists in the spark plug wires are hidden under the manifold for instance) and going to #6 on both the top and bottom plugs. Rotate clockwise again, and do the confirmation for 2.

I looked over the pictures, the wires look to be on the correct posts from what I can see, but your wire routing is not very tidy. This should not impact the running of the car, but you have some lines overlapping others in the wrong order. Given the lines are all numbered, its hard to go wrong though.

The characteristic of a single swap of two spark plugs (say bottom 1-2 is now 2-1) may not show up in the idle, but can be felt as a misfire or lack of power at higher rpm. This is why I am asking about what exactly does it feel like. Does it pull at all, or is just weaker?

It could be a vacuum leak, but the small ones (like the one that feeds the actuator on the heater fan) is inconsequential - the car will accelerate fine with that unplugged.

I think you have this towed to a shop now anyways?

Cheers,

Mike
Wow thank you for the input! It makes a lot of sense!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Ya, but I was visiting Orlando for the weekend.

WOW, it took them 45 min and 140 dollars later they found the problem.
After doing the tune up, I put the

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR Tube in backwards

I'm glad it's back on the road!!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Ok, so that goes back to my comment, review everything you changed, took off, or modified.

Great that you found that - not sure why you took that off though. Needed room?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Ya when I replaced the fuel filter a while ago. My first DIY. I know now it isn't necessary.

This time i noticed it was loose so I took it out. I'm just glad the problem wasnt worse!!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dmurchison
Ya, but I was visiting Orlando for the weekend.

WOW, it took them 45 min and 140 dollars later they found the problem.
After doing the tune up, I put the

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR Tube in backwards

I'm glad it's back on the road!!
LOL! When I did my first engine drop. My car idled at 3000 rpm after it was back together. Nothing I could do to find the problem. Worked on it for a week. Finally took it to Reeves. I had reversed the electrical connecting plugs for the MAF and the ISV. (They are diffeent colors, but same shape)

Glad you got it back on the road.

Quick Reply: Help! - Car not accelerating or idling well after temp at replacing sparks and wir