Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Need help to find a Mini for my daughter in CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a sweet blurple colour available on the earlier models.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You're lucky she didn't want a 993! Does it have to be a California car?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
You're lucky she didn't want a 993! Does it have to be a California car?
Well, it seems to me that it would be less hassle to get one locally - that has been registered in CA, and passed smog. Remember I have to do this remotely, and then for the PPI fly down to see it personally, so its going to take some manoeuvring for sure. You got one in WA?

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
IMHO, the 2005-2006 MINI Cooper S (R53) Coupes are the ones to get. Better gear ratios, more dependable, more options (LSD, Chrono Gauge Package are desireable). Well-cared-for, low mileage ones are difficult to find but worth the hunt. The 2006 MINI GP (only 415 in the U.S.) is a hoot and as much fun as a 993 (and they have heated seats, too!). The standard MINI (non-S) is a slug compared to the S.
I have been a member of the Mini2 site for years but have not been too active - need to check that out. She does not need a GP, would like back seats, nor can you get that one for $15K or less. As for the S, honestly I do not think she need it and the extra cost of fuel and maintenance, but I need her to test drive both and see what she likes. Its been a few years since she drove a standard (no, she does not drive the Turbo), but she was pretty good at it.

Remember this is a smart young woman who, like her mother, likes to have a car that appeals to her design sense, but does not need the power like her dad.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like this is current inventory at a place a racing friend sort of co-owns. They've been around forever.

http://www.import-connection.com/ind...ke=mini_cooper

There MIGHT be one for sale in our local list community--one of the BMW racers wanted one as a tote-along behind his motorhome and there was chatter about someone's wife wanting a newer one.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Mike, congratulations on getting one through school and gainfully employed!

Stevens Creek mini is the closest dealer to Mountain View. http://www.miniofstevenscreek.com/ BMW mountain view also has Mini inventory.

I know the guy who runs this dealer in my town, we work on our Concours together: http://www.highwayone.com/cgi-bin/inventory.cgi

He has neat Minis from time to time and I can get the straight scoop from him on condition and maybe find a good consigned car. Be happy to ask if you like.

There are also a lot of these cars that show up on Craigslist out here.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That would be great to talk to the Stevens Creek contact - i already sent them an inquiry re: leasing a new car, which may be a good option until she gets on her financial feet (given she is fresh out of school). That was through the general website inquiry.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Whatever you do, don't let her get one with a CVT, the slush-box. Those things are a nightmare and, when they go South, cost as much to repair as the car is worth!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Jupiterfish
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

i would echo some others thoughts, we are on our 2nd mini (clubman s) @ 95k we have had minor fixes, but the key is ignore FACTORY OIL CHANGE recommendations. go old school and change it every 3-4k.
some cars having issues now is due to the extra long change intervals (12k-20k sometimes). i always change mine around 3k, and its great. still gets 30mpg with spirited driving.

i will admit that the first mini 2005 s was more cart like and fun to drive. the newer turbo ones have more torque steer and the turbo is a maintenance issue with the recommended oil changes.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com is the site you want to go to for all questions issues, and possible used sales. its a good forum with lots of answers.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Whatever you do, don't let her get one with a CVT, the slush-box. Those things are a nightmare and, when they go South, cost as much to repair as the car is worth!
Yeah, I had heard about the POS CVT they put in these cars -- will avoid, it always seemed to me to be a weird transmission anyways..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

+1

My daughter had an early Mini (non-S) with CVT and although she didn't care, for me it sucked the very life out of that car. And there are many threads about expensive repairs. Make sure she has driven an example of what you want to buy BEFORE you buy it. I'm happy to help with the Rennfax.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Yeah, I had heard about the POS CVT they put in these cars -- will avoid, it always seemed to me to be a weird transmission anyways..

Cheers,

Mike
I think the CVT is only in the earlier non-S cars.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
That would be great to talk to the Stevens Creek contact - i already sent them an inquiry re: leasing a new car, which may be a good option until she gets on her financial feet (given she is fresh out of school). That was through the general website inquiry.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Mike
If you want to go new, another of our local racer/car list guys has a contact at seemingly every dealer around here, especially the South Bay. (He's bought or leased probably 30 cars in the 10 years I've known him, including 997 Cab-->997 Turbo-->991 in the past two years....................)

I shot an email to Navid @ Import Connection, and he'd love to hear from you. As I mentioned his racing activity above, I believe he campaigned a Mini in SCCA autocross on the national level back when they were new, along with stints in Street Prepared EVOs and 135s. But lately he's been known for rolling out extremely competitive enduro cars for others to join him at races like the 25 Hours.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

If you are thinking new my salesman at MINI of Concord beat pricing from every dealer I tried including some of the huge dealers in southern Ca. His name was Mike Glib and his email is mgilb@bmwconcord.motosnap.com
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Mini Coopers have the highest resale value of any car and have for many years. That tells me, it makes much more sense to buy new, especially if it's within your budget. If she just needs a cute red or green manual basic non-turbo Mini, that may be cheap enough to buy new.

With that said, b/c depreciation is so damn low, and she actually lives in the city with low commuting mileage, a lease is a perfect financial vehicle for a base Mini, especially with their deals they seem to throw on them. $199/mo. for a 3 year lease and 1,000 miles per month... and then you don't have to pull your $15k out of potential investments as the market continues to climb.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

This is not quite what you are looking for but maybe someone else might have an interest.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93689

Quick Reply: OT - Need help to find a Mini for my daughter in CA