pss10 vs bilstein b12

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM
henry959
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pss10 vs bilstein b12

need advise for a 993 C4S suspension.
i dont plan to race the car on the track and i hardly drive the car maybe once or twice a month...
how much difference is PSS10 vs B12 993 "Pro-Kit M033" (i just think pss10 would be an over kill and not worth the extra $$$ since i dont race the car)

I am open for suggestions.
Thank you!
i
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a question of how important adjustability is to you.

The advantage of running PSS10s, is that you have the ability to set the ride height and dampening however/whenever you want. And if it's not right, change it. On the B12s, you're stuck with one given setup. Both will transform the car, it's just a question of how much control you want over the system.

My car spends some time in the city where the roads aren't smooth as glass. Even though I wanted a tight, sporty feel, it took me a few months to dial the dampening so that it was also comfortable on the swiss-cheese roads around here.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:02 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

i just put PSS10's (running 5 & 5) and turbo sways on my otherwise stock C4. the car's handling was completely transformed. it changes direction with the agility of a cat, sticks and feels planted in turns, and rides better than stock. i waited far too long to do this upgrade and though it is far from some of the killer suspension setups you'll find here, for me it's an excellent compromise between having the car handle like a Porsche is supposed to without the covered wagon ride.

Last edited by FLYT993; 08-16-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
henry959
Instructor

i think my biggest concern is messing and trying to dial in what i want.
i think i would be more comfortable with a set setting since i don't drive the car that much and with b12 with mo33 or mo30 setup might be a step up upgrade.

Thank you for the feed back!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Most of the people that I know that have PSS9 or PSS10s, get the car dialed in to how they like it, and leave it.

I have the HDs, so I do not have the adjustability, but I am content with the handling of my car. could it be adjusted/tweeked, sure...

While it may be more cost for the adjustability, I think you get it back on the back end when you sell the car, so I don't think of it as lost money up front.

I don't think you will be unhappy either way. Just depends on what you are comfortable with right now.

for a street car, adjustability may be overkill, but let's face it, driving a 911 on the street even in stock form is overkill.

Another way to approach it is, if you get adjustability, that doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. OTOH, if you dont get it and you find yourself wanting it later, you will pay again to get it.

if you have the $$$ and don't mind spending it, options/flexibility is nice to have.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Bully67
Racer

Have you tested the B12 set up? If you don't have a chance to test out 3 or 4 or 5 set ups, how do you know the B12 will be a good fit for you? If you are running stock suspension right now there is a high likelihood you will be happy with whatever switch you make.

The bigger issue is sorting out why you can only drive 1-2x/month. I would kill me to walk by my car almost everyday and not drive it. It will be put away for the winter and I don't know what I'm going to do.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by henry959
need advise for a 993 C4S suspension.
i dont plan to race the car on the track and i hardly drive the car maybe once or twice a month...
how much difference is PSS10 vs B12 993 "Pro-Kit M033" (i just think pss10 would be an over kill and not worth the extra $$$ since i dont race the car)

I am open for suggestions.
Thank you!
i
Check w/ either Bilstein or the vender to see if the B12 comes w/ digressive valving, as these are a newer series my guess is that they do. If they do you will be pretty happy w/them and the PSS line wouldn't be necessary
Old 08-16-2013, 02:40 PM
henry959
Instructor

Bully ... i have two other daily drivers so driving on the weekend and no traffic is the best option for me... trust me living in la and owning a sports car is fun, but no fun sitting in traffic

I havent been able to drive any 993s with either PSS9 , PSS10 or b12 setup.
which i plan on it next few weeks ...

i just dont want to be constantly messing with the setup and rather have it set at one setting and i m done.
and i think with b12 it would be good and with m033 or try to get m030 setup would even be better .

thank you again for all the feedbacks...
ps. if anyone in Los Angeles area and would like to meet up for the test drive let me know.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by henry959
Bully ... i have two other daily drivers so driving on the weekend and no traffic is the best option for me... trust me living in la and owning a sports car is fun, but no fun sitting in traffic

I havent been able to drive any 993s with either PSS9 , PSS10 or b12 setup.
which i plan on it next few weeks ...

i just dont want to be constantly messing with the setup and rather have it set at one setting and i m done.
and i think with b12 it would be good and with m033 or try to get m030 setup would even be better .

thank you again for all the feedbacks...
ps. if anyone in Los Angeles area and would like to meet up for the test drive let me know.
try to hit up the Irvine CnC 8/24 and/or 9/7, sounds like there will be a pretty decent sized gathering of 993s with various set up. Pretty sure someone would be happy to let you try out their car.

I am going to try and be at the 9/7 CnC, I don't have PSS9/10 or B12 set up, but you would be welcome to drive my car. suspension is in sig.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
i just put PSS10's (running 5 & 5) and turbo sways on my otherwise stock C4. the car's handling was completely transformed. it changes direction with the agility of a cat, sticks and feels planted in turns, and rides better than stock. i waited far too long to do this upgrade and though it is far from some of the killer suspension setups you'll find here, for me it's an excellent compromise between having the car handle like a Porsche is supposed to without the covered wagon ride.
please describe the mechanics / physics of how only adding coilovers and anti roll bars completely transform your car's handling? "changes direction with the agility of a cat, sticks and feels planted in turns,"

buying new coilovers may improve bounce / rebound characteristics if your originals were wasted.
larger diameter ARBs will reduce body roll but also typically degrade ride feel due to stiffer roll characteristics.

did you lower the roll center / ride height when installing the coilovers?
Is so, that would likely have far more affect on your perception of the car feeling more "planted".

cheers

Craig
Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

[QUOTE=cgfen;10690124]please describe the mechanics / physics of how only adding coilovers and anti roll bars completely transform your car's handling? "changes direction with the agility of a cat, sticks and feels planted in turns,"

buying new coilovers may improve bounce / rebound characteristics if your originals were wasted.
larger diameter ARBs will reduce body roll but also typically degrade ride feel due to stiffer roll characteristics.

did you lower the roll center / ride height when installing the coilovers?
Is so, that would likely have far more affect on your perception of the car feeling more "planted".

cheers

Craig[/QUOTE

the car was also lowered, aligned, balanced, and had over 100k on the original Monroe's, so yes the car's handling was completely transformed.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993

the car was also lowered, aligned, balanced, and had over 100k on the original Monroe's, so yes the car's handling was completely transformed.
Excellent
sounds like a recipe for success
enjoy!

Quick Reply: pss10 vs bilstein b12