Sponsored by:

Removing Carpet Glue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

RL:

I am currently in the middle of taking the carpet out of my 993.

My only issue is the carpet glue, aka gorilla snot. Anyone here have any easy solutions?

Over in the VW forums people have suggested using a modified drill bit and drill to twist it all together. It works but I run the risk of scratching the paint on the floor.

I have made a wad of the gorilla snot and then used it to gather more. This works but is very time consuming.

Ideas?

-/Michael
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

I used 3m adhesive remover which is a pain and didn't remove the thick stuff. I gave up and installed
an rs carpet to cover it all up.
please try a heat gun and post results.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:39 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k722070
I used 3m adhesive remover which is a pain and didn't remove the thick stuff. I gave up and installed
an rs carpet to cover it all up.
please try a heat gun and post results.
I will. I read that adhesive remover is super harsh. My hands and back are killing me from all that squatting and reaching.

I knew this would suck but I did it anyway. I can't complain too much.

--Michael
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

If you are willing to wear gloves, a respirator and have WELL VENTILATED garage you can use MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). I would soak rags in MEK and let them sit on the floor for ten or fifteen minutes to soften the glue. At that point the glue should come up easily with a plastic scraper.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
If you are willing to wear gloves, a respirator and have WELL VENTILATED garage you can use MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). I would soak rags in MEK and let them sit on the floor for ten or fifteen minutes to soften the glue. At that point the glue should come up easily with a plastic scraper.
Can I get that illegal sounding chemical at Home Depot?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:24 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

I believe so. May only be available in quart size. Follow my instructions.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

You should be able to buy it by the gallon in Chicago. I get it from Aircraft Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=5201
Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

When I did the interior on my 964 race car I tried everything.
I found that mineral spirits worked the best, most solvents evaporate too fast to be effective.
I would start with a heat gun and plastic scrapers.
Something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-95832.html
Then soak rags with the mineral spirits and let them sit to soften the remaining glue.
Mineral spirits leave an oily residue, so I cleaned everything up afterwards with Xylene.
Definitely use hd rubber gloves and respirator.

There is no getting around that it is a sucky,time consuming job.
Attached Images   
Old 08-05-2013, 03:52 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
When I did the interior on my 964 race car I tried everything.
I found that mineral spirits worked the best, most solvents evaporate too fast to be effective.
I would start with a heat gun and plastic scrapers.
Something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-95832.html
Then soak rags with the mineral spirits and let them sit to soften the remaining glue.
Mineral spirits leave an oily residue, so I cleaned everything up afterwards with Xylene.
Definitely use hd rubber gloves and respirator.

There is no getting around that it is a sucky,time consuming job.
Great. Thanks.

Did you weld the sunroof in? I am very curious.

--Michael
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

We recently tore down a 97' E36 for a Chump car build. We had all tools and methods in mind. What worked the best was dry ice. It was absolutly amazing how easy it was. It took 3 ppl less than 90 min to remove carpet, glue, sound detening etc. once we pulled the carpet out we took the dry ice and broke it down w/ a hammer lightly tapping it so that it was nearly a power. Once that was spread across the floor and sat on the adhesive etc for 5-10 minutes you could hit it with a hammer and it shattered!
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

I removed the sunroof substructure. Had the cage fabricator weld in the sunroof. It was welded so that I did not have to repaint the roof and sunroof.
I got a little heat distortion on the roof paint from one of the welds at the front, but it is very minor. There is a gap around the sunroof just like it is stock. Most people just fill the gap with silicone, and it does not look that different than the stock sunroof seal.
Attached Images     
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
We recently tore down a 97' E36 for a Chump car build. We had all tools and methods in mind. What worked the best was dry ice. It was absolutly amazing how easy it was. It took 3 ppl less than 90 min to remove carpet, glue, sound detening etc. once we pulled the carpet out we took the dry ice and broke it down w/ a hammer lightly tapping it so that it was nearly a power. Once that was spread across the floor and sat on the adhesive etc for 5-10 minutes you could hit it with a hammer and it shattered!
What your dealing with in that BMW is totally different than a 993/964.

It is pretty ridiculous.
Attached Images   
Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
This is solid advice, IME. MEK is the only solvent that I found that can adequately attack the glue. Make sure your respirator has filters that are rated to handle volatile organic compounds. A quick call to the filter manufacturer will clear up any questions. It's a PITA job, but MEK is your friend if you prevent any physical contact with it.

Originally Posted by 007DT
Interesting. I wonder how effective it would be on Porsche's Alien glue. I have some spots on my car that I still need to clear out and will give it a try...after I do a search of the archives.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gloves are you fellas using that the MEK doesn't attack? I have been putting off this task for months while I do other stuff on my build, but the time is coming soon. Ugh.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Bought several different sets at Lowe's and, unfortunately, don't know which one actually worked and didn't dissolve. None of them seemed perfect based on the labels' usage guides, but one of them withstood the solvent.

Quick Reply: Removing Carpet Glue