Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to de-carbon your engine, San Diego County style.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

The car was only 2 weeks old, but the owner does drive extensively, having a variety of cars. He said it was very fast, and very civilized. If it has a fault, is that it is so comfortable, even when on the pedal. His early opinion that he voiced.

Seems to echo the reviews.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I missed what is always a great morning in the back roads of SD. Been a little busy lately

Curve Lover - great to meet you and your wife. The car looked stunning in person and Niche and I knew it was your car from half a mile away. It is just so unique looking from every angle!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsixforme

Curve Lover - great to meet you and your wife. The car looked stunning in person and Niche and I knew it was your car from half a mile away. It is just so unique looking from every angle!
10-4 on that!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:15 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
As opposed to their own course outside the track? Had someone ask me about what they were all about recently, and unless I missed something on their site there was no mention of running anything but their own course.
As opposed to actually running on the track, the big oval thing. There are two outfits that rent the exotics there. "Dream Racing" on the inside,...the infield of the big oval track and "Exotic Racing" or something similar outside the race track itself. They operate out of a big tent and have your basic autocross track set up out in the parking lot with cones.

Dream Racing was a class act,........nice instructors, cute and attentive female assistants, great cars, really nice facility. I highly recommend them next time you're in Vegas.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmg3
Whats your impression of the Mclaren and the owner's impression of it (if different than your own)?
Thanks to all the guys who showed up especially javier who made it happen, it was a great run as usual.
I have the 12C spider and because its still new i didnt want to drive it more than 8/10th or so lol, but at one point Bill and I lined up on a long straight and went at it from a rolling second gear and without mentioning the speeds attained, i can just say that by the end of 4th gear the CGT was about 3 car lengths behind, to Bill's dismay lol. I am very happy with it so far, I think Mclaren did a very good job on this car.
looking forward to the next outing.

Anthony

Last edited by AAHTT; 08-06-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by AAHTT
Thanks to all the guys who showed up especially javier who made it happen, it was a great run as usual.
I have the 12C spider and because its still new i didnt want to drive it more than 8/10th or so lol, but at one point Bill and I lined up on a long straight and went at it from a rolling second gear and without mentioning the speeds attained, i can just say that by the end of 4th gear the CGT was about 3 car lengths behind, to Bill's dismay lol. I am very happy with it so far, I think Mclaren did a very good job on this car.

Anthony
Oh boy....you did it now! The Renn police will be checking in shortly....
Old 08-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AAHTT

Anthony
I don't even want to think how far back my 96 C2 would have been.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Haha, I know how far back my '95 was. I must say, the McL sounds great as it is passing you up the mountain!

I did sit in it, and while it always seems I could use another inch of leg room, it was pretty roomy. No issue with headroom.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed/ Niche/ FlatSixForMe-- GREAT meeting you & your wives yesterday!
It was great meeting you, too! Too bad you couldn't join us on the run. I also understand waking up before dawn is not the kind of thing you want to do in San Diego when visiting! ;-)

Hey Ed and Craig, Don't leave me out of the next one!!!
PM me your e-mail... will make sure to notify you, too.

I love setting these up... it is so much fun! As always, it was a fantastic time with a great group of friends.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Cool Pics. If I had the means the Mclaren Conv. would be my next car... Just awesome.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 PM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

I've done that exact same drive many, many times, Ed. A fantastic drive up to the Palomar Observatory.

I de-carbonified on Friday, with a different route in back-county San Diego/Imperial.

Attached are a few pix.

[Oh, and for a REAL challenge, try coming down the back side of Palomar some day, via Nate Harrison Grade. It has an average grade of 8% over 11 miles, with some parts being much steeper. Almost 4,700 feet of altitude change. But, I suggest leaving the Porsche home for that drive.]
Attached Images     
Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 AM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmg3
inquired about the McL b/c it seems like a pure track car, but yet I see on the road in SF during rush hour frequently...just curious. quite the line-up out there, would be hard to pick a favorite

Miami is known for exotics and has one of the 10 US Mclaren dealerships, so the car will be seen there more than usual, plus it is a great road car and can easily be a daily driver, once you get used to the doors that is...
Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
As opposed to actually running on the track, the big oval thing. There are two outfits that rent the exotics there. "Dream Racing" on the inside,...the infield of the big oval track and "Exotic Racing" or something similar outside the race track itself. They operate out of a big tent and have your basic autocross track set up out in the parking lot with cones.

Dream Racing was a class act,........nice instructors, cute and attentive female assistants, great cars, really nice facility. I highly recommend them next time you're in Vegas.
Good to know. But not for me. Funny about what I enjoy on track, and stock street cars in any way, shape, or form don't do it.

I hear the "other guys" are ready to set up a second location. I was pitched some ballpark financials by someone who knows someone.........and it was pretty mindblowing.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes

the McL sounds great as it is passing you up the mountain!
Originally Posted by 007DT

If I had the means the Mclaren Conv. would be my next car... Just awesome.
Hillclimb footage begins at 1:25

Quick Reply: How to de-carbon your engine, San Diego County style.