Sponsored by:

2013 Sea-to-Shining-Sea 993 Non-Trophy Non-Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 Sea-to-Shining-Sea 993 Non-Trophy Non-Dash

This is is now the third or fourth summer road trip thread on here; it seems all of the cool kids are doing it.

My trip actually started in Rome Italy on 12 July. I left there in my old 2002 Audi A6 Avant with the 2.5l TDI, 280k km on it, and drove from there to a town near Hannover, Germany, with over night stops in Bologna and Stuttgart. I arrived up north on 14 July, and then turned around and drove back south in a SEAT rental car to Frankfurt for my flight to Dulles. I spent three days in DC, and then left on 19 July on a flight to Kalispell, Montana. I spent a week with my brother and his family on Ashley Lake, enjoying this view:

After that week, we drove from there to Seattle, where my 993 was waiting. The car has recently gotten 4 new tires (Bridgestone S-04), alignment and corner balancing, and a full compliment of spare belts and relays. We fixed several small things over the weekend, and with a "not minor, but not major" leak on the right lower valve cover being the only noted fault, the car was declared "good to go."

The trip will be from Kirkland(Seattle) to Fort Belvior, Virginia, near Washington, DC, with planned stops in Salt Lake City, Denver, Kansas City, and Greensboro, NC. There is a RUSH concert in SLC on 31 July, and my daughter's 16th birthday in Greensboro on 7 August as "fixed" points, but the rest is free-flow.

I intend to stay off of the Interstates as much as possible, stay in non-chain, non-boring hotels (when not crashing with friends or relatives) and NEVER eat in any place that is part of a chain.

I DID have to do a good bit of I-90 today, with heavy traffic and slow speeds. A stop at Snoqualmie Pass netted this pic:

And this one:

MORE TO COME!

Last edited by Avenger6; 07-30-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Today's Route:

Left Seattle on I-90 until I crossed the Columbia River near Vantage, WA, then I took Washington 240 to Washington 243 to go past the Hanford Nuclear Site, through Richland, picking up I82 to I84 to Pendelton, Oregon, where I am overnighting at the http://www.ruggedcountrylodge.com/. It is clean and nice, and I enjoyed some Macallum on the little terrace with a French Canadian couple who are riding their full-dress Harley across the western USA for 5 weeks.

Dinner was here: http://www.hamleysteakhouse.com/ Monday special was "fall off the bone" ribs... and they did just that.

A few more pics:

Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

As a secondary goal, I'd love to try to do a few link-ups with Rennlisters as a crawl across the continent. If you think you might be approximately in the path of my cross-country crawl, and want to link for a drink, dinner, and photos, let me know.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Enjoy it.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great story, I love when members show their roadtrip stories and pics.

these threads makes me want to get out on the open road so bad. thanks for the motivation.

soak up the sun bud, my cars in pieces in the dark garage.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow great trip and story, love the "non chain" principle...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm envious....If you decide to dip down into northern Georgia or southwestern North Carolina, let me know and maybe we could meet along the way.

Terry
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

If you are in the Denver area August 2nd we are having a few RL's and others over for food and drinks followed by music in the old downtown of Louisville.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Avenger6
This is is now the third or fourth summer road trip thread on here; it seems all of the cool kids are doing it.

My trip actually started in Rome Italy on 12 July. I left there in my old 2002 Audi A6 Avant with the 2.5l TDI, 280k km on it, and drove from there to a town near Hannover, Germany, with over night stops in Bologna and Stuttgart. I arrived up north on 14 July, and then turned around and drove back south in a SEAT rental car to Frankfurt for my flight to Dulles. I spent three days in DC, and then left on 19 July on a flight to Kalispell, Montana. I spent a week with my brother and his family on Ashley Lake, enjoying this view:

After that week, we drove from there to Seattle, where my 993 was waiting. The car has recently gotten 4 new tires (Bridgestone S-04), alignment and corner balancing, and a full compliment of spare belts and relays. We fixed several small things over the weekend, and with a "not minor, but not major" leak on the right lower valve cover being the only noted fault, the car was declared "good to go."

The trip will be from Kirkland(Seattle) to Fort Belvior, Virginia, near Washington, DC, with planned stops in Salt Lake City, Denver, Kansas City, and Greensboro, NC. There is a RUSH concert in SLC on 31 July, and my daughter's 16th birthday in Greensboro on 7 August as "fixed" points, but the rest is free-flow.

I intend to stay off of the Interstates as much as possible, stay in non-chain, non-boring hotels (when not crashing with friends or relatives) and NEVER eat in any place that is part of a chain.

I DID have to do a good bit of I-90 today, with heavy traffic and slow speeds. A stop at Snoqualmie Pass netted this pic:

And this one:

MORE TO COME!
I am very envious!!! I am already thinking about next summer's trip out west.

Have fun and keep it shiny side up.

--Michael
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 281 Posts

I also love the concept of doing a coast to coast trip with only staying & eating in unique places.

Enjoy & safe travels!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Sounds like..

The trip of a lifetime...great pics. Keep them coming.

The most my 993 has been on the road, several trips to Las Vegas from LA...to the track of course, 1st Las Vegas Motor Speedway and 2nd, the outside road course. Which incidentally pales in comparison to the Speedway with its huge banking.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Avenger6
As a secondary goal, I'd love to try to do a few link-ups with Rennlisters as a crawl across the continent. If you think you might be approximately in the path of my cross-country crawl, and want to link for a drink, dinner, and photos, let me know.
Let me know when you are going to be in SLC. I can probably meet for a drink, dinner, and photos.

I grew up in the Flathead Valley. Beautiful country that I never appreciated until I was away for a few years.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great trip Thread!

We did this last fall when I purchased my 993 in South Beach, LA then drove 5000 miles to Nova Scotia, Canada eh! Chuck kept the 993 in pristine condition for me during it's stay in California. I can tell you this the car has Fister III's and I love them. We did not turn on the radio until parked in the driveway and was wondering if it worked!!! I have put 4,000 miles on it since getting it home last fall so that's 9,000 miles in a year and it only covered 56,000 in the previous 16 and we are loving every minute on the road.

Keep sending pics and if you go astray there's a beer waiting for you in Halifax!!

Happy Motoring!
Lloyd
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

while in pendleton grab a blanket for the rush concert if you have grass tickets. pendleton makes a nylon backed blanket that is perfect for the car and grass naps, called an auto robe or steamer or something.
keep that pretty car off the streets of taylorsville when leaving USANA, maybe even stay in magna.
magna is a cool little town I drive through on the way to MMP, makes me think its 1972.

Quick Reply: 2013 Sea-to-Shining-Sea 993 Non-Trophy Non-Dash