Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 993 Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks! Wheels are still available from Suncoast, they bring them in from Germany.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Breathtaking...

Great job setting up the car.....you have many happy mikes ahead. Want even more fun with the car? Budget for a close ratio re-gear...not cheap, but it makes the car so much more drivable, especially with the short 3rd gear. I recently had my gear box done, best money "invested" in the car to date. All the suspension goodies are nice, but when it comes to getting power to the road, when and where you want it, now that is sweet!!!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Thanks Martin! Shorter ratios would make for a better drive. I'll put that on my list of to do's over time.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 138 Posts

Wow! There was only 1 full set of NB oe speedlines in germany left when I had sunset quote me a price twi months ago!

I am quite impressed with the cleanliness of the undercarriage. May I ask what is involved with getting the undercarriage and wheel wells cleaned? Meaning .... Did you just call around a few detail shops to see who would be willing to do this? And is it fantastically pricey?

Ive considered doing thus myself by jacking up the car and attacking with a pressure washer, brushes, zenit, solvent, etc etc .... But my brain says that to do thus successfully will require many days worth of work if I can sneak in an two hours per day over the weekends .... Not sure if I can commit to that .....
Old 05-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Wow! There was only 1 full set of NB oe speedlines in germany left when I had sunset quote me a price twi months ago! I am quite impressed with the cleanliness of the undercarriage. May I ask what is involved with getting the undercarriage and wheel wells cleaned? Meaning .... Did you just call around a few detail shops to see who would be willing to do this? And is it fantastically pricey? Ive considered doing thus myself by jacking up the car and attacking with a pressure washer, brushes, zenit, solvent, etc etc .... But my brain says that to do thus successfully will require many days worth of work if I can sneak in an two hours per day over the weekends .... Not sure if I can commit to that .....
Well, the speedlines I purchased last fall so, they must be dwindling down. I know they are heavy and expensive but for what I want this car to be they are perfect.

As for the underside, I tackled 2 wheel wells on my own with the same thought, if I just do a bit at a time it won't be so bad. Each took about 3 hours and made a complete mess. But when I put the car up on my lift, from the bottom it almost looked like nothing was done.

Toby from Elite Tint whom I've been dealing with for 20 years recommended a detail shop that has an outdoor lift with steam cleaning capability. It wasn't cheap, took 2 of their guys most of a work day, but the results are totally worth it. They took all the panels down, cleaned from front to back, took the wheels off and detailed the wells, and fully cleaned the engine and engine bay.

The great thing is now when tackling the mechanical bits it will be clean and easy to work with. One thing that really blew me away was how nice the brakes and rotors look, they took all the rust away, its like they are brand new. Really bugs me that I farmed it out, but realistically I didn't have the right tools to get the job done right. Not sure how common it is for this type of service, but here in SoCal its probably not that difficult to find a shop for this.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I love the direction in which you are taking the car, it is what I have planned for mine. I think the oem Speedlines are a no brainer from a monetary standpoint, they will not drop in value if they are kept clean and they look and fit the car perfectly.

You need to take a side by side picture of both Pcars (your 993 and 997)!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Thanks Ed. I will get a group photo soon......

Quick Reply: New 993 Project