Sponsored by:

New 993 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts
Default New 993 Project

Just wanted to introduce myself and my new project. Original owner of a 997 GT3 RS which is a brilliant drive! But I wanted to add a classic to the fleet so why not start with a 993, all the original character of a 911 but with the most current technology.

My original search was to find a clean 964 RSA, but in the process, I found the 993 Aerokit 1 on the narrow body car to be very cool. Been looking for a few months and the red 993 came up so I had to jump on it:

-2 owner car w 43k miles, no records, but bought through a Porsche dealer who did correct normal wear items.
-options, very limited in the mold of the RSA. Aerokit front and rear, sunroof, cruise control, cd.
-car is clean and unmolested but needs some TLC.

So the plan is to take this 993 in the direction Porsche could have gone if they had done a 993 RSA:

-Obviously, go through the mechanicals, to ensure everything is up to par.
-RS wheels, have set on order.
-motorsound and sport exhaust.
-ROW sport springs to set the right height and tighten it up.
-Red seat belts.
-potentially RS door panels w nylon pulls.
-clean up some of the paint wear, thinking about a euro bumper.

Probably won't remove the rear seats, but always an option. Will try to post as I go. Thanks for all the great info here on Rennlist!
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2013, 03:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Perhaps you may wish to consider....

Your new car looks great....I drove my friends generally stock 993 around a track about a month ago. I had forgotten how well the 993 drives with a simple up grade to shocks, springs and sway bars.
You mention some possible upgrades....
-RS wheels, have set on order. What are RS wheels? The wheels that came on the 993 RS and 993 RS Club Sport are the 18" (8" front/10" rear) Speedlines. They are very expensive, >$4,000 a set if they are in excellent shape, and ironically, they are pretty heavy. With wheels, the lighter the better. I have O-Z Allegritta from Tire Rack, $1,700 a set delivered...beautiful wheels IMHO. If your car is "street", you will find that the 17" wheels with higher profile tires are the most comfortable. 18" tires with low profile tires can be a little tough

-motorsound and sport exhaust. Motorsound, that would be the drilled intake box. There are Motorsound mufflers too, too mellow for most...had a set, found them to be pretty mild. Like the FD Motorsport Stage II mufflers with large oval tips. Also love my Fabspeed X pipes with 200 cell cats. Fabspeed also provides cat bypass pipes for "off road use only!" Couple these with good mufflers and you and your neighbors are in for a treat.

Because your car has the Aerokit tail, and you don't have the bulky adjustable tail components, you can add an air intake snorkel from the 993 Turbo to your air box, pull intake air right out of the air intake grill. You would then NOT need a drilled air box.

-ROW sport springs to set the right height and tighten it up. First comment, Porsche knew what they were doing when they designed this car...no argument here. The deeper you dive into suspension modifications, the more the street ride will be compromised. If I had a 993 just for the street, the furthest I'd go with it would be M030 RoW suspension and sway bars. The car will be a little lower and the ride will still be good.

If the car has 43K miles, the original Monroe shocks may be on their way out...most folks install M030 RoW springs AND add shocks.struts to match everything up. Note, the ride height is minimally adjustable with this set up. The lowered ride height of the M030 RoW set up is due to the spring length, shorter. If you want ride height adjustability, you'll need something like PSS10 suspension. or, Bilstein HD shocks, or KW or ??? They have adjustable spring perches. If you decide to "slam" the car, then the 993 RS uprights and tie rods are an option worth considering, add $1,300 for this modification. Of course if you modify the suspension, you'll be wanting to upgrade the sway bars to minimize body roll, 993 RS bars are probably the best bargain out there

-Red seat belts.

-potentially RS door panels w nylon pulls. When you install RS door panels the isn't much room left for fancy speakers. You also lose the little door storage bins...some folks are fond of these.

-clean up some of the paint wear, thinking about a euro bumper.

Once you get on the modifications "band wagon" it never seems to end....this may be because Porsche took the 993 as far as you would want to go with their 993 RS Club Sport, a car that has all the trick mods one would ever want/need. Of course it is noisy as hell and rides like a truck on often irregular streets we encounter as our municipal infrastructures crumble around us, at least this is the way it is in California. You can buy one for about $200,000, but getting it licensed for the US can be a major problem.

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-23-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: The Color Feature no worky
Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Thanks for the input Martin! Not really going all out RS, just want to add some flavor.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 57 Posts

looks like a good clean example to build off of, nice GT3RS too
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Washabi
what he said...love the unusual color on the GT3!

Welcome to the forum, spectacular resource...great people. Or is it great resource, and spectacular people...I forget.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default 993 RS stuff

Autos International in Escondido, CA sell the 993 RS carpet kit. It is designed around the fact that there are no rear seats, and no speakers in the package shelf. It is pretty close to the original from Porsche. I had this installed in my car along with the 993 RS door panels and the lower dash delete from Rennline. With the lower dash delete you loose your glove box and the passenger side air bag. So this may not be a good street mod.

Consider installing the Fabspeed X pipes with their 200 cell cats, or the FD Motorsport 200 cell cats (no X pipe) and the FD Motorsports Stage II mufflers, you'll never turn your radio on again, the sound is intoxicating. I run FD Motorsports "cleaned up" stock mufflers with the Fabspeed X pipes and replaced the 200 cell cats with cat bypass pipes....incredible "song".

Enclosed is a pic of my "street legal" car....it took 12 years to get there.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Because your car has the Aerokit tail, and you don't have the bulky adjustable tail components, you can add an air intake snorkel from the 993 Turbo to your air box, pull intake air right out of the air intake grill. You would then NOT need a drilled air box. [/COLOR]
The holes in the motorsound airbox aren't for more airflow, they're for more intake noise. If you want the intake noise (which is glorious), you have to have the holes.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Laws of Physics

Those little air box holes in the motor sound air box, lots of them, must be guilty of sucking at least some hot engine compartment air into the engine...albeit the main venturi of the motorsound airbox with the chrome oval ring is the primary culprit.

When you add the 993 Turbo snorkel, why not get as much outside air (Cooler air) as possible into the engine? You don't need the noise holes. The snorkel will give you some WOT 5000 RPM crossover noise. Just a thought....
Old 07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's some stuff in the archives about this, but when you're traveling down the road the air in the engine compartment isn't appreciably warmer than ambient, because of how much air is flowing through the place. Different of course if you're sitting in a traffic jam, but then you can't use the extra horsepower anyway. There are no intake mods that can be made on a 993 that produce power.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Very nice car!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Autos International in Escondido, CA sell the 993 RS carpet kit. It is designed around the fact that there are no rear seats, and no speakers in the package shelf. It is pretty close to the original from Porsche. I had this installed in my car along with the 993 RS door panels and the lower dash delete from Rennline. With the lower dash delete you loose your glove box and the passenger side air bag. So this may not be a good street mod.

Consider installing the Fabspeed X pipes with their 200 cell cats, or the FD Motorsport 200 cell cats (no X pipe) and the FD Motorsports Stage II mufflers, you'll never turn your radio on again, the sound is intoxicating. I run FD Motorsports "cleaned up" stock mufflers with the Fabspeed X pipes and replaced the 200 cell cats with cat bypass pipes....incredible "song".

Enclosed is a pic of my "street legal" car....it took 12 years to get there.
Great advice, I'll look into the carpet kit and snorkel in your other post. Goal with intake is noise. Stock 993 seems just so quiet!

PS love the white!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Originally Posted by Washabi
Thanks! Like the blue machine in your profile pic!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Originally Posted by Magdaddy

what he said...love the unusual color on the GT3!

Welcome to the forum, spectacular resource...great people. Or is it great resource, and spectacular people...I forget.
Thanks Magdaddy, couldn't agree more about the community! Super valuable in my purchase process so far and I look forward to combing through the archives.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Been awhile so wanted to update my thread. Bought the 993 last summer and while I was gung ho, I decided to drive it for awhile before tackling the project. Now that I'm comfortable with how it drives and what I want it to be, I've started down the path of rehabilitation.

1. Added RS Speedlines (oe) on Michelin Super Sports
2. Had the undercarriage steam cleaned along with the wheel wells.
3. Next up: New stock struts and ROW springs to bring the ride height down while preserving the ride.

Here's some pics of where its at:
Attached Images          
Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great!! Nice wheels! I didn't think they were still available?

Quick Reply: New 993 Project