Sponsored by:

993 pricing = insane??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 993 pricing = insane??

When Ilko listed his c4s with an asking price of 42k I thought to myself "hmmm, a bit too aggressive for a 100k+ miles car." Don't get me wrong, I wanted him to get it because, well, I had a very similar car. He did. In 12 seconds or something like that. So I wondered if it was an unusual circumstance.

When my 11 year old son, a short time later, started to really complain about the small back seat (and I actually looked back there with him in it and saw how cramped he was), I went through machinations on what to do (keep c4s and buy a beater? no, could find a beater I liked and, anyway, I go through cars quickly instead of wives -- not sure which is cheaper, but it's easier on the kids this way. sell the c4s and find a sports sedan? yes, an Audi rs4).

Coy musings in other posts on rennlist about maybe selling got me PMs from a few, but nothing that resulted in more than some tire-kicking (maybe serious tire-kicking, but tire-kicking nonetheless). So, I scanned my CARFAX, key receipts, took a million pics (my daughter took the photos) and put together a decent ad on a Friday morning. That night one of the tire-kickers came and looked at the car, left a non-refundable deposit (he left for a business trip Sunday). Another rennlister came by and is in backup. More have PM'd me asking to be in line if everyone falls through....

In other words, I could have sold the two or three times, if not more, and probably for thousands more than the asking price of 42.5k. For a 100k mile car (granted with tasteful mods, but still).

Where is this market going? Will that car, with 150k continue to appreciate? Hold it's own? Ever go down? I guess at some point miles actually become irrelevant, as the BMW 2002s I used to restore are sold based on condition but miles are irrelevant....
Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I knew someone with a crystal ball... We just paid stupid money (as in HI) for a 14K mile example. Since I feel we are a little ahead of the curve, I don't expect to get our money back out of it for a few years... if at all! We just liked the car and where willing to pay to get it.

Gary
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, miles ARE pretty irrelevant once you get into the collectible phase of the market. Are we there now with widebody (NA and turbo) 993s? Who knows. But probably.

If you've left $2-3K on the table, is it going to matter next month, next year? Not to anyone who has one of these things, since it shouldn't be more than a rounding error of your net worth.

Question is, will you buy same/similar down the road when they're going for who-knows-what. Most don't. Saw it with the longhoods. Even if guys can afford them. Kinda why I said to park the car, put it in semi-retirement for the time being.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 200 Posts

Enjoy the RS4 Josh, it's a great car! It would be sad when 993s become too expensive for those who own them to actually drive them. I'm personally not afraid of mileage. I'm afraid of lack of receipts

Originally Posted by race911
Question is, will you buy same/similar down the road when they're going for who-knows-what. Most don't. Saw it with the longhoods. Even if guys can afford them.
I subscribe to the you only live once "philosophy." Drive as many cars as you like, own as many as you like. Since I don't have the means to keep several cars at the same time I can only own one at a time and try to have as much fun with it as I can. I've put over 5K miles on the current one since I got it in April
Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

some cars are desirable, others aren't.

My high mileage turbo (89k miles) isn't worth the paper the title is printed on.

Your car must have caught someone's fancy. Ilko's car did not sell quickly as I recall it.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

It did.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

my mistake
Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

It happens

You up for a drive to NC in October?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I don't see why not.

where did you have in mind?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It does feel like there are people chasing 993s, but then again, recall that LOTS of people bought houses in 2007 also...looking back, not so smart.
No matter how you look at it, cars are depreciating assets.
During my driving enjoyable and ownership, I'm happy if the car stays near flat and/or depreciates less than a new honda accord
PL
Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't see why not.

where did you have in mind?
Check out RennSpaß. And sorry for the OT!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Jabberwocky
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
some cars are desirable, others aren't.

Agree with this. Whether or not the 993's (and all older air cooled models) hold/increase value is up to future population demographics and their subsequent desires. You see where the early 911s are today in relation to where they were just 10 yrs ago and it's not hard to mouth the word "bubble". Who knows.

Here is a my post from another thread this morning on the subject:

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the two vintages porsche are great! Surprised you didnt attempt to keep the 993TT as it too will follow suit as a 911 classic.

I agree with your statement re the TT going down the classic road, along with the C2S and RS (obviously). My opinion is that the air cooled cars in particular are being driven by a few interesting drivers, be it:

1. the Gen Xers (my generation) coming in to disposable income and wanting to finally have the car that was on their bedroom wall.

2. the Magnus Walker effect - bringing a "cool" new edge to the marque

3. current monetary policy which makes hard assets more desirable

4. 964/993 specific - classic looks combined with basic safety features (abs, air bags)

5. the 1973 2.7 RS effect - massive price increase over past 10 yrs, which has lifted all long hood prices substantially, thereby displacing some potential buyers into the later yr 911s.

I'm sure there are other reasons. As to why I sold, simple answer was that I wasn't driving it. With less than 20K on the odo, I knew it would have more value to someone looking for a garage queen. I like making "patina" and this car was too nice for that. As an example, the all original 67S that I have has over 140K on the odo and gets flogged annually to the tune of 5-6k miles (i'd put on more but w/o A/C, the Texas summers blow right thru my Brut deodorant.

With all that said, I am of the belief that the current fixation on mileage with the 993 family will fade somewhat once we get around the 25 yr mark, similar to what has happened with the previous series. So, one day I'll hopefully jump back in again.

Sorry for the long winded answer.....John
Old 07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I subscribe to the you only live once "philosophy." Drive as many cars as you like, own as many as you like. Since I don't have the means to keep several cars at the same time I can only own one at a time and try to have as much fun with it as I can. I've put over 5K miles on the current one since I got it in April
Sure, there's that. And then I remember how many guys, when I was racing the RS America, chatted with me about how much fun they had with those cars, compared to the expense, expense, expense when they moved to (then new) 996 Cups.

Anyway, I know I'm the outlier. Can't really see moving from the air cooleds for two reasons--they don't cost me anything to keep going, and I just don't believe in having more than about $40K tied up in a car. I've got about another year of earning any kind of an income, then it's just me piddling around in a hobby/race shop doing what I can to keep busy. And golf. Lots of golf once I'm out of the craptastic Bay Area muni scene........
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is an indication of how in-demand widebody cars are today. I'm still on
the fence about listing mine, it's also a driver with 100+K miles.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

I just went thru this with my car. I put a good ad together, and within 1 day I had a list 5-6 long of people wanting to put down a non-refundable deposit; about 15-20 people contacted me indicating strong interest. I ended up selling it to the first guy who could fly into town. No haggling, no negotiation. I might have been able to get 1500 more, but once I post a price, I stick with it. Wish I had 10 more to sell

Quick Reply: 993 pricing = insane??