Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

An interesting read for you guys:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26630

Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hagerty seems to sell enough cars that it might have enough plots on a chart to spot trends.

I find it very interesting to look at say :

1967 427 corvette coupe

and then

1967 Porsche 911 S

and then

1969 912

All three classic sports cars, immediately recognizable (give me that on the 912) , have a world wide following (give me that on the corvette)... anyway, fun to play around with this. gives a bit more weight to see trends by a third party in the business than 'i know a guy who sold his abc for xyz' i also find it interesting the price performance differences broken by car quality.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch
Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Are my 993s an investment? Absolutely not. I bought them to enjoy. Driving home on some deserted rural roads late last night, sunroof and windows open with my iPod playing my favourite tunes, I can say without question mission accomplished. Some of the best therapy going.

Having said that, I am happy that depreciation is ZERO. Yes there is cost of ownership (maintenance, insurance, tying up storage space), but that's true of just about anything.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think Hagerty is selling cars. They do follow auctions to track valuation, and may follow the market in general, or at least some of the outlets. As they are in the insurance business, it's definitely in their job description to know what values are.

Originally Posted by davePorsche
hagerty seems to sell enough cars that it might have enough plots on a chart to spot trends.

I find it very interesting to look at say :

1967 427 corvette coupe

and then

1967 Porsche 911 S

and then

1969 912

All three classic sports cars, immediately recognizable (give me that on the 912) , have a world wide following (give me that on the corvette)... anyway, fun to play around with this. gives a bit more weight to see trends by a third party in the business than 'i know a guy who sold his abc for xyz' i also find it interesting the price performance differences broken by car quality.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch
Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ah, sorry about that - Ed is correct - should have said 'insures' not 'sells' .. enjoy! i didnt look around in there to see if they state what their values charts are based on but i am sure they have enough data points to make a good go of it. maybe in sales transactions from when people buy cars and state what they paid ? or when people insure cars and people state the insurance replacement value? lots of interesting data points they could pull from..
Old 07-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Are my 993s an investment? Absolutely not. I bought them to enjoy. Driving home on some deserted rural roads late last night, sunroof and windows open with my iPod playing my favourite tunes, I can say without question mission accomplished. Some of the best therapy going.
+1 No iPod for me. I scramble into the attic every week and dust off 3 or 4 old CDs. Last weeks selection - Rolling Stones Exile, Van Morrison Moondance, REM Fables and Jesus and Mary Chain Automatic . . . Wife thinks I'm nuts - it's an investment in my sanity.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exile should never be in one's attic collecting dust!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Bully67
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul902
Exile should never be in one's attic collecting dust!
True but with digital revolution it was burn it and forget it. Glad I didn't send them all off to some 'Thrift Shop'
Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 AM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I disagree with the above. Pricing for average widebody cars is not above $50k.

Your comments on 70s hot rods are also silly. While you may view air cooled porsches as more desirable than a 70s hotrod, there are thousands of enthusiasts who disagree. air cooled porsches are a total snoozefest to many people, and I can see why.

Your assumptions that the market for porsches won't crater is based on what?

As to your comments, why should they give me confidence? I haven't seen any kind of evidence to support your opinions.
@Quadcammer:
A gent solicits opinions about future 993 prices. I give an opinion, and even warn "it is just one man's opinion". I offer what I can to add color to the conversation, even adding "I hope" this gives confidence. That alone is a confession about my post is pure hypothesis. And you reply that my point is silly. And Onami laughs at me. An ad hominem response indicates you have nothing to add to the conversation. Not even an opinion. As an original Bostonian, I can only conclude that you are either a frustrated lib or a frustrated Jets fan. Am I right?

Let's hear your analysis.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 AM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Also, if you want evidence, send me a check for $350k and I'll provide you with an analysis akin to what firms like Putnam Leasing pays to obtain such data to make a market in leasing these and similar specialty cars.

PS: Quad, consider becoming a Patriots fan. We accept all because we are Patriots. Kinda like a forum member since 2006 would accept a new member. While I admire TB the QB, I can see why a NJ guy would loathe him. But there is no way you can not like Tim Tebow. If you are a Giants fan, I'll eat my hat.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 AM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RodKnock
So, for my own edification, Speed Yellow is undesirable?
Hi RodKnock. Great handle. I never said "SY is undesirable". I (and most) believe SY is a beautiful and desirable color. Just not as much as other choices. The data supports that, as would a simple pole on this forum. Kinda like selecting the ugliest gal among all the finalists in a beauty pageant. Hope that clarifies.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GlengarryGR
@Quadcammer:
A gent solicits opinions about future 993 prices. I give an opinion, and even warn "it is just one man's opinion". I offer what I can to add color to the conversation, even adding "I hope" this gives confidence. That alone is a confession about my post is pure hypothesis. And you reply that my point is silly. And Onami laughs at me. An ad hominem response indicates you have nothing to add to the conversation. Not even an opinion. As an original Bostonian, I can only conclude that you are either a frustrated lib or a frustrated Jets fan. Am I right?

Let's hear your analysis.
Post of the month.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 AM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

I hope this post gets back on track. And I'm guilty too; I started talking about football. Inkatouring started a great post that can serve as a supplement to the post that lists actual 993 sale price data.

(thanks Mr. Hughes. I was puzzled by Quad's welcome wagon.)

Last edited by GlengarryGR; 07-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Glengarry- Thought your original post was a thoughtful analysis of the current outlook for 993s. And while I am bias, I agree.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Are my 993s an investment?
Having said that, I am happy that depreciation is ZERO. Yes there is cost of ownership (maintenance, insurance, tying up storage space), but that's true of just about anything.

+1 totally agree with this. I bought because i have a passion for these cars and wanted to enjoy it. However... I really believe i wont lose any money on this particular car and in fact only have the opportunity to make money someday assuming i actually sell it! I was very lucky buying this car in 2010 when the market was IMO almost bottom. Paid 27.5k for a 62k mile car that was mint enough to become a regional concours champ. No way you can touch a car like that in the current market for that kind of money.

my .02

Quick Reply: 993 pricing = insane??