Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 pricing = insane??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

On 997 point...prices have long way to drop. When 991 came out 997.2 were sold at invoice. I'm thinking I may trade my C4S when it pays for buy 997 GTS in 3-4 years, I already saw 2009 997.2 S sold for $51k and non-S CPO in 50s.

Aren't we (rennlisters) big part of the 993 market? We can definitely influence the future prices.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Your comments on 70s hot rods are also silly. While you may view air cooled porsches as more desirable than a 70s hotrod, there are thousands of enthusiasts who disagree. air cooled porsches are a total snoozefest to many people, and I can see why.
I agree with GlenGarry's assessment here. It is not that 70's muscle cars were bad investments, it is that 70's hot rods were bad investments. Anyone who bought an original 69 Z28 Camaro has done well. The modified cars were starting to sell for crazy money, and those cars lost value in the bust.

Though I did think it got crazy when a Plymouth Barracuda sold for Ferrari Daytona Spyder numbers.

That's why we want to keep our cars original.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Just a thought...For those who are the original owners of your vehicles or those who have their window stickers...Go check out the MSRP. In 1995 dollars, our '95 Carrera was $67,700. (We're not the original owners). That was a huge amount of money back then. Even today, that's a big chunk of change. A limited production (250 cars) '95 Mustang Cobra R was only $32k. Yes, the cars are appreciating but they've got a long way to go.
What was the original transaction price? Recently, I posted about going down Memory Lane with a '96 base, stripper white/gray coupe that I could have bought in mid-'97 for ~$49K + fees. Fremont Porsche (whatever it was called then) bought up a bunch of leftover stock from all over the country. I think they had about 15 to choose from.

And I SERIOUSLY doubt the original owner of my 4S paid anywhere near the $92K sticker that car was pimped out to........
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 564 Posts

A mint '69 Z brought $100K all day long in the mid-2000's. Now they struggle to bring $75K...so those that bought them at the peak certainly haven't done well! And most of those $100K cars had more than that invested after the parts prices went through the roof. I've owned 9 '67 Z-28's. I bought one in 1999 for $30K and sold it for $32K 2 years later. That fellow was offered $125K for it just as I sold it to him 4 years later. It might bring $85K today.

Originally Posted by vincer77
I agree with GlenGarry's assessment here. It is not that 70's muscle cars were bad investments, it is that 70's hot rods were bad investments. Anyone who bought an original 69 Z28 Camaro has done well. The modified cars were starting to sell for crazy money, and those cars lost value in the bust.

Though I did think it got crazy when a Plymouth Barracuda sold for Ferrari Daytona Spyder numbers.

That's why we want to keep our cars original.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I would take a 69 Camaro Z or a 69 Charger RT all day long. Boy...do I miss my muscle cars. But the prices today are too much for my conservative wallet.

It may be the same for 993s one day. Just not sure.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 564 Posts

You can get a really nice '69 Z for $60K today. Chevelles and C3 Corvettes are probably the best GM muscle car bargains currently.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 683 Likes on 331 Posts

I think of the early long hood 911s vs the 993 much the same way Packards, Lincolns and muscle cars were awhile ago. The generations that enjoyed these American iron cars are aging out in fact I recently talked to a owner of a beautiful model A Ford who worried about who would take over the care taking of his car when he passed none of his grand children expressed any interest in the car cause it was not "usable" whatever that means. The early 911s are very usable but when you pay the price now necessary for a nice one is the plan to just keep it as a collector or to really use it? The 993 has a lot of collector qualities, last of the air cooled, beautiful and classic body style and very "usable" I don't think we have seen the top of the market for our cars by a bunch, at least that is what I convince myself with every dollar I spend on my 1996 SY
Rich
Old 07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I think of the early long hood 911s vs the 993 much the same way Packards, Lincolns and muscle cars were awhile ago. The generations that enjoyed these American iron cars are aging out in fact I recently talked to a owner of a beautiful model A Ford who worried about who would take over the care taking of his car when he passed none of his grand children expressed any interest in the car cause it was not "usable" whatever that means. The early 911s are very usable but when you pay the price now necessary for a nice one is the plan to just keep it as a collector or to really use it? The 993 has a lot of collector qualities, last of the air cooled, beautiful and classic body style and very "usable" I don't think we have seen the top of the market for our cars by a bunch, at least that is what I convince myself with every dollar I spend on my 1996 SY
Rich
+1

Sure the depreciation curve has ended and prices are on the uptick. Not sure depreciation has ended for those who are paying crazy numbers. Paying strong numbers for a car with high mileage and no recent top end rebuild is not a smart move IMHO. But your choice to roll the dice.

Unfortunately, the depreciation curve is replaced with the "spend" that will continue to grow in terms of mods, and simple maintenance for a 18 year old car. Of course, it is not a huge cost factor if you are a competent DIYer. But these cars can and will be needy as they get older. And when these cars are not running right, they are not much fun.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

We are talking about a price of an asset that is subject to the same forces as price of house, stock, gold etc...supply is limited and shrinking (unless everybody decides to dump their 993s, which is very unlikely), demand is trending up as 993 is still one of the most affordable sport cars with good performance that can be driven on a daily basis.
Unfortunately, as prices of 993 go up, other cars come into the spectrum and pull away buyers and reduce demand.
You would see big spike in 993 prices if speculators come into the market (demand up) or everybody stops selling their 993s (supply down).
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
...The generations that enjoyed these American iron cars are aging out in fact I recently talked to a owner of a beautiful model A Ford who worried about who would take over the care taking of his car when he passed none of his grand children expressed any interest
I just learned this myself as my Dad picked up a 66' vette. His position was he needed to stay low on the price because the car will depreciate, as there is only one generation it holds value to. They are physically getting too old to wrench, shift, or maintain their cars. Thus the car will have less value to later generations. this was evident in his search for the car. many estate, family members selling their mid 60's vettes for deceased / unhealthy enthusiast that once owned the car as a kid.

made total sense.

as an aside, i think the muscle cars of that age are just as beautiful as our cars with all their curves, smell and feel, they are a part of history. They drive like **** but thats not the point.

is there only one generation our 993's hold real value to? we wont know for like 30 more years...

Last edited by EMBPilot; 07-19-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
You can get a really nice '69 Z for $60K today. Chevelles and C3 Corvettes are probably the best GM muscle car bargains currently.
what about 70 1/2 camaros?
I could live with an RS 350 and Turbo as long as the interior wasn't black.....
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Onami
A mint '69 Z brought $100K all day long in the mid-2000's. Now they struggle to bring $75K...so those that bought them at the peak certainly haven't done well! And most of those $100K cars had more than that invested after the parts prices went through the roof. I've owned 9 '67 Z-28's. I bought one in 1999 for $30K and sold it for $32K 2 years later. That fellow was offered $125K for it just as I sold it to him 4 years later. It might bring $85K today.
Really! I did not realize that those cars had fallen so much.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

as a porsche (non-DIY guy) who has just bot his 7th, a 2003 C4S, i've looked at LOTS of porsches over the years, and i'm not convinced that 993 will have the sustainability that some here may suggest as a collectors car that's above and beyond OTHER porsches and/or collectibles.

as many here have suggested, the 993s were dream cars for many 20 to 40 yrs olds during the mid-90's. these guys are now(myself included), in the 40 to 60 yrs old and definitely have some disposable income, thus explaining some of the demand.
that said, as i looked over the various 911 versions to buy, i see shortfalls with ALL of the various iterations and therefore, i think i'm more objective about this.

yes, the 996s do have ims/rms issues, but after a $2k fix - i think it's a GREAT car...and to me, that's waaaay better than having to worry about bent valve, o2 sensors, bad AC, old mediocre interior(but still not yet classic interior), etc...(and i think sports/upgraded exhaust sounds as good as the air cooled engine).

imho, the only 993 that's really that unique is the 96 C4S, and even those have come down in price recently from $55k down to $40k range.
bottom line, gotta find a porsche that one enjoys driving and owning, and the possible increase in value is a "plus" - and not do it as a given.
just my 2 cents.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM
pcarhiway
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Early 911s .... 993s are a bargain in comparison

Here are a few posts from a thread that was started yesterday on the Early 911 S Registry;

Original post

I just purchased this one-owner 1967 Porsche 911S Soft-window Targa, which is 4 VIN numbers off the Bahama Yellow 1967 Porsche 911S (VIN 500643s) I recently sold. This green one is an amazingly original car, so it's a difficult call what work we should do to it prior to offering it for sale. The floors and front cross member are completely solid and original. The car was purchased new and owned by a Berkeley Hills resident. It has been garaged and even the original dash is in perfect condition. The engine seems to be in good condition, and the original carburetors and red shroud are unchanged. The car came with a complete tool kit. Looking for a little advice on how to handle this car. Thanks!

Response 1

proper swf wipers / proper antenna /proper fog lights / complete service / brakes/tires/detail

ask $190,000

Response 2

I would suggest the real value of this car is between $200-$250k. Maybe more.

My thoughts ...

So I would say we are just getting started on the 993 appreciation curve, especially wide body cars.

Just my opinion, since I just bought a C2S - wishful thinking and enjoyable driving in the meantime!

And one more idea --- is this car not just a wash job and a few trim pieces away from the Targa that William Hurt drove in The Big Chill ??
Attached Images  

Last edited by pcarhiway; 07-19-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 993 pricing = insane??