Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM
acrabtree0536
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on window tinting

I am moving to Denver and its very sunny What's everyone's opinion on tinting windows in your 993. I prefer an all OEM car but I think cooling it off inside will preserve the interior.

Thoughts? Any other considerations I should think on?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I prefer the stock look, but how much time would the car spend outside the garage besides drives?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check local law. In Cali it is not allowed
Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Not a fan, I had mine removed last year. The car looks so much better without it.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 408 Likes on 123 Posts

Adam-

Your leaving us? At least Denver is a great spot, although no match for Seattle...

I have tint on my car from the previous owner, its coming off soon... You can get tint that is clear but is a UV blocker, will protect the interior and reduce heat but look OE.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM
acrabtree0536
Advanced

Boulder actually. I agree its not a match for Seattle but raising my kid near his grandma has advantage$. And driving bin the mountains should be fun. We will see.

Nit much underground parking. So I figure the sun will take it toll. The clear tint is a good thought. I wonder how hard it would be to remove if you need to repair the rear defroster for example.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by hal m
Well...yes and no. Too dark a tint can be cited, but not all tint is illegal; it depends on how dark it is. Also, you usually hafta get an ******* cop with an attitude to get nailed for tint. Plus, in California, the rules here if you get busted are: you can remove it, or, pay the fine and you can keep it. They don't care about the tint and if you keep it; they just want your money. Ask me how I know all this

If your car is subject to a very sunny climate, or lives outdoors, tint is a great way to preserve the interior and also keep the car a little less blazing hot. It's a must have for a car in California that parks on the street. For a garaged summer car in Anchorage, maybe not so much
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i pealed my tint off. But in florida it would be nice to have.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

have it, like it.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I like a 40% tint to keep things cooler inside, better on the interior; without looking ricey.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal m View Post
Well...yes and no. Too dark a tint can be cited, but not all tint is illegal; it depends on how dark it is.
Per California law:

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.

If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

Source: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

They use that as an excuse to pull you over, if they just feel like it. Or, if they can't find anything else to cite you for, they will use this vehicle code section. That being said, a huge number of people tint their windows in CA. Depends on whether you mind being at the mercy of some cop just because he didn't have his coffee that morning or had an argument with his wife.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 201 Posts

Can't stand tint. PO of my TT had it put on and first thing I did after buying the car was get rid of it. It looks tacky to me. It also distorts the view from the rear window which I hated.

If it's that bright in Boulder get a nice pair of polarized sunglasses and a window shade. Problem solved.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I like the no tint look on my 993. If you want to preserve interior and reduce heat, and don't want the dark look, check out clear UV tint. You cannot feel heat like traditional tint. Only down side is cost. I was quoted about 600 to do my DD.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 PM
techsis
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure why but I prefer the 993 without tint. My SY C4S has no tint and looks great. My GR Turbo has tint and looks very aggressive... but I miss the stock look. I will be removing the turbo's tint in the next few weeks.

It really comes down to the parking arrangement. I have dedicated garage space for 99% of the time I am away from the protective home cave. If I were parking on the street in TX I would have tint, but I would also be driving the FJZ80 or LX570.

It really is a matter of taste. You could cover the interior with goat hides or beads

The best news is the fun you can have on the curves on some of the roads in Colorado.

Cheers,

John
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Benzrod
Track Day

Smile

I live in Colorado, and I like the limo look. It is illegal to do the windshield and driver glass can not be as dark as to hide the driver. I have a cab so back glass is clear but side glass is dark and illegal. It is another one of those laws like a burned out license plate bulb. An excuse to pull you over and check the sobriety of the driver. It does make the inside cooler though. enjoy Boulder.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on window tinting