Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Personally, never had tinting, don't want tinting. I drove a friend's car at night that had tinted windows. Why would I compromise safety by reducing visibility. Tinted tail light lenses and headlights on ricers comes to mind as well. Tacky!
Ditto the above. And, as a friend found out, if the installation bubbles it can be almost impossible to remove the stuff.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
And, as a friend found out, if the installation bubbles it can be almost impossible to remove the stuff.
I think I read a RLers tip some time ago on tint removal. Something about spraying the window with Windex and then covering it with a damp towel...not 100% sure of the details and if it would work on the issue you stated.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

My 993 had tint and it came off easily as a sheet if started peeling at a corner. It all came off in 20 minutes, but one door window strangely retained the glue still and it was difficult to remove with Xylol or anything else I tried including Windex.

My friends issue was that the tint fractured at the bubbles and would not come off as one sheet and really was a mess on the rear glass with the heating element wires.

Fortunately the car (non-Porsche) was crashed and totaled during the process thus he never had to deal with finishing the job.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If the glue stays on I've found in the past that super fine steel wool works best for removing it. Doesn't scratch the glass but gets rid of the glue quite easily.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM
buzztt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its a bit harsh to say all tinting looks tacky, there are obviously varying levels of tinting from limo to only slightly tinted, i think all cars look better with a tint, i prefer a light tint, theres nothing tacky or ricer about it, i'm surprised tinting is illegal anywhere as many cars come from the factory with tinted windows, its legal in MA, 35% is legal and thats what I tinted my windows at.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Laws vary, my son just got a ticket here in CA for it.

IIRC, the issue was he had it on the forward door windows which is apparently illegal due to night time vision requirements.

It seems that if the tint is dark enough for an officer to see it, it is too dark.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by buzztt
i think its a bit harsh to say all tinting looks tacky, there are obviously varying levels of tinting from limo to only slightly tinted, i think all cars look better with a tint, i prefer a light tint, theres nothing tacky or ricer about it, i'm surprised tinting is illegal anywhere as many cars come from the factory with tinted windows, its legal in MA, 35% is legal and thats what I tinted my windows at.
+1 on this. To consider all tint to be the same, or an absolute, is foolish. I simply consider the source, and ignore.

On the subject of legality and how cars are sold, we bought an E350 from a MB dealer a few years ago, with no front license plate mount, as I believe it comes from the factory. Front license plates are reqd in Calif.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Laws vary, my son just got a ticket here in CA for it.

IIRC, the issue was he had it on the forward door windows which is apparently illegal due to night time vision requirements.

It seems that if the tint is dark enough for an officer to see it, it is too dark.
The driver windows are indeed what is the main focus by the police-from a driver's visibility perspective and, I think, their visibility of the driver.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
+1 on this. To consider all tint to be the same, or an absolute, is foolish. I simply consider the source, and ignore.

On the subject of legality and how cars are sold, we bought an E350 from a MB dealer a few years ago, with no front license plate mount, as I believe it comes from the factory. Front license plates are reqd in Calif.
Yes, front plates are a dealer installed item, one just has to get to the car before the prep department does. Last time I was in San Diego MB, I noted none of the cars on the floor had the plate on yet - maybe because customers want it that way? I gave them grief about it a few years ago at sales time.

I have not had a front license plate for over 50 years of driving in CA. I have gotten around 3 or 4 tickets for it, however on more than one occasion I was stopped for something else and the officer let me off with an equipment violation for the plate - a much better deal than a moving violation.

The ticket means paying a fine or replacing the plate and having an officer sign off that the plate is on the car in which case there is no fine.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I live in Denver and have had various Porsches through the years. I have never placed tint on the windows. Most Porsches do not spend a lifetime outdoors. I also believe the look cheapens the car and makes it look like all the Hondas and Chevys driving around. I guess you need to make that decision on your own, just saying...
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Tint is both attractive and functional. But IMHO it's a definite no-no if you (or the next owner) will be tracking the car. Not cool for the person behind you. So my street car has tint but the 993 does not.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Extreme Auto Tinting - down the street from Prestige Porsche/Audi in Lakewood, CO

OP -
Like you a non-OEM tinted window aesthetic wasn’t for me.

A Texas area rennlist member posted a while back recommending a window film by the German firm Huper Optic’s. Having phoned Huper USA corporate they’re Denver area recommended installers were American Window and Extreme Auto Tint. The beauty of the Huper Optic’s product is the ceramic film cuts the solar heat significantly but looks clear; day or night. I put one toe in the water having the 993s rear window done in a Huper ceramic film called 70%. I’ve been commuting Vail to Denver to Vail all summer and the -filmed rear window only- makes for a huge performance upgrade in the A/C system.
Next week the coupe is scheduled to have all the windows (including the windshield) filmed in the basically clear 70% film.
The coupe is way cooler even on 90-100 degree day's and the A/C fan speed can be turned down. I highly recommend these new ceramic films if interior heat reduction is the name of the game. 3M makes a competitive product to the Huper Optics however the Huper film is said to be sturdier...so I’ve learned.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com

ALL disclaimers apply.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
I put one toe in the water having the 993s rear window done in a Huper ceramic film called 70%.

Next week the coupe is scheduled to have all the windows (including the windshield) filmed in the basically clear 70% film.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com
Any idea why they call it 70% or does that refer to the heat rejection and not the level of tint?

Is it tinted at all and if so, is it tinted less than factory tint? With you having it installed on the windshield, I would think that it is 100% clear.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:49 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

IXLR8 -
I can't answer that, the proper name of the ceramic film (70%) escapes me however its probably spelled out on their website- hopefully.

I sat in the front seat of a MY13 Ford F350 crew cab vehicle (the shop owners I believe) where the windshield was filmed in the same 70% film as the rear window of my 993. Felt and appeared dam near clear to me however with the absence of heat; it was a typical 90 degree sunny Denver day. Additionally there were fleet trucks there having the windshield filmed; I think it was Excel Energy.

Check out the newer batch of ceramic film products - maybe you find something.

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Any idea why they call it 70% or does that refer to the heat rejection and not the level of tint?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM
bigrig
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 3M Crystaline "no-color" tint on my cars due to a UV light sensitive skin condition.
it is more expensive than good quality tint-but you get the 44% heat rejection and 99% UV rejection.
it works for someone who wants the tint benefit without the darkish windows.
all of my windows (including windshield) are done.
car is much, much cooler inside than before.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on window tinting