Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JPP Speedster in Pano

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

congrat's JPP.....when I saw that I knew it was you....you're the class of Rennlist and the essence of what makes it great
Old 07-20-2013, 01:05 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
congrat's JPP.....when I saw that I knew it was you....you're the class of Rennlist and the essence of what makes it great
Thank you sir, I'll try to live up to that :-P Just reading down your list of "ex's" ... you've owned a LOT of 993's! And 60% of them were Arctic Silver!!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:05 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JP: Great, great job on the bedroom. Must literally be night and day from before. Nice work on finished ceiling and top and bottom moldings, as well as wall colors.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 600RR
JP: Great, great job on the bedroom. Must literally be night and day from before. Nice work on finished ceiling and top and bottom moldings, as well as wall colors.
Thanks Sid, I knew you'd appreciate it, and of course, I thought it would only take two months ... and six months later it's done ... well, except the wall cabinets need to be put up and the mid-rise lift sourced ... heh ...

the new space is completely insulated including the garage door .. when it's all closed up it's tight and quiet and very comfortable to work in .. I can leave the car uncovered all day and no dust .. awesome :-P
Old 07-20-2013, 02:39 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Ah, the paint that you can swim in! I can't take any credit for the paint process, this must go to Marc and our sadly departed friend Miles who cut their teeth painting show cars for a living and continued their good work under the 9m roof.

1. To achieve a perfect paint finish starts with the preparation of the panels before primer coats. In all cases we remove every trace of the original paint layers down to the factory primer, and we're talking about the whole car here including door shuts, closures, backs of doors, everything.

2. Make repairs to panels as required with Upol-D aluminium filler followed by stopper-filler. Flat and rework as required.

3. With new panels and those taken to bare metal a light coat of etch primer is applied.

4. Two coats of colour tinted primer. Baked, then left to dry throughout for at least 7 days.

5. Dust coat primer with black and dry flat to achieve perfect flat finish. Invariably this takes areas of the primer back through to metal or filler, hence:

6. More stopper filler work if necessary.

7. Third coat of colour tinted primer, over whole car and all panels, bake & leave to dry for another week.

8. Block sand primer to perfect flat finish.

9. Mask, clean, degrease & prepare surface; apply three or four layers of colour base coat as required. We have two base coat systems, water and solvent. Water base is air dried, solvent base is temperature bake dried.

10. Two or three coats of solvent based clear lacquer as required. Allow to flash off, flow and then bake dry.

11. Allow lacquer at least 10 days to fully harden. Wet flat whole surface with 1200.

12. Apply final top coat of lacquer. Flash, bake & allow to harden for further 10 days minimum.

13. Wet flat with 1200, then 1500, then 2000. This takes 4 days for the whole car. Inspect & repeat if necessary.

14. Polish with coarse, medium, fine & superfine compounds with appropriate foam polishing mops on machine. Inspect and re-flat where necessary.

15. Clean all residue from car, usually with steam cleaner.

16. Final machine polish with glazing compound.

17. Hand glaze, clean and wax polish.

Think that's about it, from memory, but sure that Marc could talk about it for longer.....
Colin,

Just want to say...and you know I am "picky!" ...that the paint on Jon's Speedster blew me away. Both times I have seen it. I've seen some amazing, top-shelf paint, and this was among the best—and maybe the best—I have seen. Looking over the above process, I want to take an even longer look at Jon's 993 next time I see it.

The other thing: In terms of driving, it's among the best 5-10 hot rods I've driven. Just. Utterly. Pleasurable. And FUN. The noises, the handling (easy to get wrong on alignment alone with a 993), and the "overall-ness." It drove like a factory-built car, only better. And there is no higher praise from me. Nice to see a car that looks like this, go like that. I just got this smile that I couldn't wipe off my face, and that's when I know a car is beyond good. So, all that to say: High compliments. I don't want to know what it cost, but I suspect it was well worth it.

pete
Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

I am "picky!"
Pete-- You know how to pick 'em

Colin, I want to take an even longer look at Jon's 993 next time I see it.
Call me a match-maker, but if Colin's still planning to visit Jon Paul soon he won't be far away - may be convenient for you to 'meet the maker'
...& to look longer into SpeedArena's perfect paint. She'd surely like to see you again...

JP's Speedster blew me away.
Originally Posted by JPP

Pete, she liked you as well
JP, Colin / 9m-- Continual congrats!

Old 07-20-2013, 12:03 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

.. it's among the best ... I've driven. And FUN. I just got this smile that I couldn't wipe off my face.

pete
Well... she's definitely blushing now! And I have to say Pete, I've never felt more comfortable riding shotgun in one of my 'babies' ..you're welcome anytime. Now about that 'unique' driving position ....
Old 07-20-2013, 02:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Colin,

Just want to say...and you know I am "picky!" ...that the paint on Jon's Speedster blew me away. Both times I have seen it. I've seen some amazing, top-shelf paint, and this was among the best—and maybe the best—I have seen. Looking over the above process, I want to take an even longer look at Jon's 993 next time I see it.

The other thing: In terms of driving, it's among the best 5-10 hot rods I've driven. Just. Utterly. Pleasurable. And FUN. The noises, the handling (easy to get wrong on alignment alone with a 993), and the "overall-ness." It drove like a factory-built car, only better. And there is no higher praise from me. Nice to see a car that looks like this, go like that. I just got this smile that I couldn't wipe off my face, and that's when I know a car is beyond good. So, all that to say: High compliments. I don't want to know what it cost, but I suspect it was well worth it.

pete

Pete,
All I can really say is thank you, on behalf of myself, Marc and all of the team at Ninemeister.

The guys all strive to produce cars to the best of their ability which is difficult when Marc sets the bar so high. Invariably with projects like this the desire to over-achieve takes precedent over the desire to be paid for all the work, but the result is always worth the additional investment we build into our customer's cars. JP's Speedster was no exception but without it you would not have driven the complete car you experienced - and with a grin on your face from what I heard?

The new Pano is superb, very impressed with the changes so far so do keep up the good work. I am also be looking forward to working with you and Ilko in the near future once we bring online our new development projects....

Quick Reply: JPP Speedster in Pano