JPP Speedster in Pano

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 342 Likes on 152 Posts

Got ours and WOW!! U R famous now.

Robert wants to keep our copy since it is so cool, but I know I'll come up with a few for you from some of the locals who read and toss.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RC DOUBLE
JP, Just got my Panorama yesterday, great article on you and your car.
Thanks, Randy Wells did a great job on both the story and pic's I think ..

Originally Posted by David A
JPP, I mailed you my Pano today with Flat 6 magazine, I was done reading that one too.
Ha. A Bonus!

Originally Posted by RJT
Got ours and WOW!! U R famous now.
Robert wants to keep our copy since it is so cool, but I know I'll come up with a few for you from some of the locals who read and toss.
Yes I is! Doesn't surprise me that Robert likes the new format .. and that cover! Holy Samolians!! Anyway, whatever you can dig up from the nebors will be just as appreciated ... ThanksJ!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 AM
bramblegrower
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Thanks Mark! .... Hey When's the next FDM BBQ?? Bramblegrower and I were just talking about you both behind your back and he mentioned it seemed like time for another FDM get together .... maybe something simple? Costco Pizza and coffee ... a little tawk ... no big woop!
Hey, so I'm a little late to the party! Whet else is new! Yeah Mark, it's about time for a get together of us FDM BBQ Alum. And JP, welcome to the Pano Club. Congrats, it's really become an enthusiast mag. under Pete's direction. Hope to see you guys soon!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Just got mine yesterday -- WOW! Made me want to buy a cab, ship it to England, and rob a bank. Wait, that wouldn't be enough. Make that start a pyramid scheme based hedge fund....
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

JPP-

I read the article last night and really enjoyed it. You have a beautiful car.

Could you tell us more about the paint process? The depth and finish are unreal!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bramblegrower
.. Yeah Mark, it's about time for a get together of us FDM BBQ Alum. And JP, welcome to the Pano Club.
Thanks John, I really enjoyed your 912 article last month .. that's another good story! Yeah .. FDM! FDM! FDM! ... how about a Fall get together?? Late Septemberish, early Octoberish?? Maybe we'll have another Indian summer!!

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Just got mine yesterday -- WOW! Made me want to buy a cab, ship it to England, and rob a bank. Wait, that wouldn't be enough. Make that start a pyramid scheme based hedge fund....
Well, whatever you do, do it in the u.k. in Pounds!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
JPP-

I read the article last night and really enjoyed it. You have a beautiful car.

Could you tell us more about the paint process? The depth and finish are unreal!
Thanks Jim. I can tell you that the result is a combination of 9m having complete control of the quality of the bodywork and each application and finished sanded state of sealer, primer and paint and clear coat. The finish clear lacquer (lacquer which is no longer available for use in most of the U.S. I might add) is 'flatted' or as we call it 'finish sanded' at the last to remove any blemishes and then polished several times over the final curing days. It is Marc Clowes and Colin Belton who are the mad geniuses behind 9m's paint processes ... they are truly master craftsman at it ... and I'm hoping Colin will chime in here to flesh out the details and keep me honest.

Also, it seems that each paint color and type can drive each set of processes for each build, such as the color/tint of the primer, how much 'flake' is added into the color, how many coats and block sanding steps are used, how many base coats are applied and 'flatted' before clear etc.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Well, whatever you do, do it in the u.k. in Pounds!!!
No way, it might be illegal there. I'll stay state-side where we don't consider theft by money managers a crime, thank you!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:12 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPP
Hey .. you know, if you hadn't run off to sandyeggo to be a beach bum, you could pop over for a spin ... but NOoooooo, you had to be mr. fancy pantz ...
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Thanks Jim. I can tell you that the result is a combination of 9m having complete control of the quality of the bodywork and each application and finished sanded state of sealer, primer and paint and clear coat. The finish clear lacquer (lacquer which is no longer available for use in most of the U.S. I might add) is 'flatted' or as we call it 'finish sanded' at the last to remove any blemishes and then polished several times over the final curing days. It is Marc Clowes and Colin Belton who are the mad geniuses behind 9m's paint processes ... they are truly master craftsman at it ... and I'm hoping Colin will chime in here to flesh out the details and keep me honest.

Also, it seems that each paint color and type can drive each set of processes for each build, such as the color/tint of the primer, how much 'flake' is added into the color, how many coats and block sanding steps are used, how many base coats are applied and 'flatted' before clear etc.
Ah, the paint that you can swim in! I can't take any credit for the paint process, this must go to Marc and our sadly departed friend Miles who cut their teeth painting show cars for a living and continued their good work under the 9m roof.

1. To achieve a perfect paint finish starts with the preparation of the panels before primer coats. In all cases we remove every trace of the original paint layers down to the factory primer, and we're talking about the whole car here including door shuts, closures, backs of doors, everything.

2. Make repairs to panels as required with Upol-D aluminium filler followed by stopper-filler. Flat and rework as required.

3. With new panels and those taken to bare metal a light coat of etch primer is applied.

4. Two coats of colour tinted primer. Baked, then left to dry throughout for at least 7 days.

5. Dust coat primer with black and dry flat to achieve perfect flat finish. Invariably this takes areas of the primer back through to metal or filler, hence:

6. More stopper filler work if necessary.

7. Third coat of colour tinted primer, over whole car and all panels, bake & leave to dry for another week.

8. Block sand primer to perfect flat finish.

9. Mask, clean, degrease & prepare surface; apply three or four layers of colour base coat as required. We have two base coat systems, water and solvent. Water base is air dried, solvent base is temperature bake dried.

10. Two or three coats of solvent based clear lacquer as required. Allow to flash off, flow and then bake dry.

11. Allow lacquer at least 10 days to fully harden. Wet flat whole surface with 1200.

12. Apply final top coat of lacquer. Flash, bake & allow to harden for further 10 days minimum.

13. Wet flat with 1200, then 1500, then 2000. This takes 4 days for the whole car. Inspect & repeat if necessary.

14. Polish with coarse, medium, fine & superfine compounds with appropriate foam polishing mops on machine. Inspect and re-flat where necessary.

15. Clean all residue from car, usually with steam cleaner.

16. Final machine polish with glazing compound.

17. Hand glaze, clean and wax polish.

Think that's about it, from memory, but sure that Marc could talk about it for longer.....
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Article is great JP, but just a shame that we will need two magazines to chop up to frame for the wall on SpeedArena's bedroom!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Article is great JP, but just a shame that we will need two magazines to chop up to frame for the wall on SpeedArena's bedroom!
Well ... I'm working on that. Going to trade the Pano folks a good copy for one with a broken spine and take the cover and Speedster story and have the pages laminated and bound into an accordion format to have with the car in Monterey ... then I bought a few of the shots from Randy to have blown up and in the mean time, I'm having a few of my old collection of Porsche racing and factory posters and a couple of pieces of Speedster art pro-framed. There's a bit of empty wall space out there right now, but with the HVAC set at 68F, mood lighting on in the late summer afternoon, she's quite comfy in the new space ..
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 342 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
There's a bit of empty wall space out there right now, but with the HVAC set at 68F, mood lighting on in the late summer afternoon, she's quite comfy in the new space ..
So hating you right now........

NOT!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

JP,

Absolutely stunning car and great article! I felt just a slight amount of connection to SpeedArena given my humble '98 AR Cab...amazing that your car started life looking similar to mine, but oh nellie how for yours has come and how far mine has yet to go!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RJT
So hating you right now........

NOT!

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
JP,

Absolutely stunning car and great article! I felt just a slight amount of connection to SpeedArena given my humble '98 AR Cab...amazing that your car started life looking similar to mine, but oh nellie how for yours has come and how far mine has yet to go!
Thanks for the kind words, but honestly, I think the standard Cab is a nigh on perfect design .. and I love your Arena with tan top combo, it's stunning.

Quick Reply: JPP Speedster in Pano