Sponsored by:

EXCELLENCE magazine under new editor G Brown

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
Funny, was just thinking the same thing as I thumbed through the latest issue.. My subscription is up and I have no desire to renew. Sad as I've been a loyal subscriber for years. These recent issues just seem un-interesting
I didn't want to complain because my mind has been on other things and thought it was me...but I am not feeling it either.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I renewed. One of about 10 or 12 mags I subscribe to. Mind fodder for take-offs and landings; American Way only has two issues a month. Could be a lot worse.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I used to subscribe years ago, then dropped it when it got pretty well useless and boring - same old stuff over and over, I would read it while, ahh, having a sitdown, and that would be it, toss that money away. Now, I have zero subscriptions to any magazines, if I hear of an edition that might have some value, I can check it out at Chapters, and if its valuable, then I will buy it ... now that I think about it, I have not bought a magazine that way for years ... and I have not missed it at all.

Now, if you take away my internet .... watch out!

Cheers

Mike
Old 07-13-2013, 12:52 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm a little behind on my reading. Like 3 or 4 issues but I'll look for the changes. What month did the change occur?

I hate not to renew. I've been a subscriber since issue number 1 back in Jan 1987. Back then it was called Porsche Magazine. That name lasted for the first 5 issues. Then Porsche AG made them change the name. There was a contest for a new name and Excellence was selected. The name change happened in the Nov/Dec issue. Then it was a bimonthly magazine.

Oh well.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with many, but I'm still too addicted to give it up.
PL
Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have every issue since #1 ... keep the faith or we will have to live with only R&T and C&D
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
I have every issue since #1 ... keep the faith or we will have to live with only R&T and C&D
Autoweek is one of the best mags out there.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:44 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

We have subscribed to Excellence before it was called Excellence! And Rob has subscribed to AutoWeek since it was in newspaper format!!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

It's still a great mag, but not as great lately.
BTW, did anyone notice the ad for Martini Racing gear on page 74? I know the mag publishes the ads they receive from the advertiser. But, people standing around a car in Martini racing gear is ok. Maybe someone at excellence would have mentioned that the car shouldn't be a Ferrari?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Reading mine now- didn't think it was that bad. Pete will be hard to replace, and PANO is miles better now, but I'll still give it a chance. The 914-6 article was pretty good and I fondly remember those Ginther cars when they raced originally.

agreed, like I said, Im not yet ready to give up on them.

Originally Posted by Kika

EReaders took another step, at some point, printed materials will be a thing of the past.
I hope not, I really like the glossy magazine format
AND
it's probably much easier to use my trove of magazines as reference material vs ereader file that might time-out.

Craig
Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Autoweek is one of the best mags out there.
Hmmmmmmmmm i vacillate on my opinion re autoweek, sometimes they are just way too detroit focused.
No way i'd stop my subscription though.

Craig
Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Agree with many of the above comments. I dropped my subscription to Excellence several years back and I am on the fence about Panorama. I am not seeing a major improvement since Pete S. joined. Maybe someone could point out the improvements to me.

The internet has made these magazines (and most magazines) less relevant to me.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Agree with many of the above comments. I dropped my subscription to Excellence several years back and I am on the fence about Panorama. I am not seeing a major improvement since Pete S. joined. Maybe someone could point out the improvements to me.

The internet has made these magazines (and most magazines) less relevant to me.
I just received the new Pano and it is awesome. I have NEVER said that about Pano before. It is now in large format and interesting.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
agreed, like I said, Im not yet ready to give up on them.

I hope not, I really like the glossy magazine format
AND
it's probably much easier to use my trove of magazines as reference material vs ereader file that might time-out.

Craig
I get some sailing mags in E format, and I hate it. Give me pages to turn, any day.

Originally Posted by cgfen
Hmmmmmmmmm i vacillate on my opinion re autoweek, sometimes they are just way too detroit focused.
No way i'd stop my subscription though.

Craig
I read backwards for AW. I start at the last (BWTM) page, then read the racing articles and news, then go toward the feature articles at the front. A couple of columns are good too.

Like I said, takeoffs and landings require mind occupying materials-bring 'em on! I'm at 73,000 miles/65 flights on AA alone, so far this year. Throw in another 12 or so on SWA, 4 on Alaska, and you get the drift.

You can only thumb through Sky Mall catalog so many times.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:49 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 567 Posts

I too was getting Autoweek way back when it was a newspaper, but quit getting it a couple years ago. Just was getting too many magazines that basically all said the same thing. With the internet and a web subscription to autosport, I just didn't need it for the race coverage anymore...

Quick Reply: EXCELLENCE magazine under new editor G Brown