Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Lever

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Turn Signal Lever

guys, my turn signals work but the lever does not reset to neutral after coming out of a turn....so the lever will lock up (right turn), or down (left turn) but does not return to the middle position after steering wheel rotates back to center...

has anyone experienced this before and would it be an easy fix?

thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

The fix is to replace the turn signal/windshield wiper/obc /cruise control switch assembly. Done by taking off the steering wheel, it's a pretty easy fix. AFAIK, there is no provision for separate stalk replacements. Whole unit goes for about 400 from Sunset, if I remember correctly. Just make sure you get the correct assembly (cruise, obc, etc as appropriate). I think there are 4 different iterations.

Or just live with it and move the turn signal back manually each time.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

If you DIY the switch by removing the steering wheel you will need to do the little air bag unit connector clocking dance. The instructions are pasted right to the airbag connector when you uncover it by removing the steering wheel.

Here are some notes from when I got into this when I replaced the steering rack.

Before doing this procedure disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. When unplugging the steering wheel air bag from the steering wheel connection wiring harness do not reattach the battery until you have reconnected the air bag unit otherwise you will cause an airbag fault (warning light) that will need to be cleared by using Durametric software or having the dealer do the same.

Before you loosen the steering wheel’s hold down nut to remove the steering wheel to get at don’t forget to mark the steering wheel’s position to the top of the steering shaft so your steering wheel can be put back on strait in the same position on the shaft spline as when you removed it.

I broke the airbag contact unit’s pin that engages the steering wheel and had to repair it. Fixing the snapped off pin was relatively easy, just retrieved the snapped off pin’s head and reattach it with a short piece of fish tank air hose filled with flexible car molding adhesive – better than new!

Once repaired re-clock the airbag contact unit according to the directions printed on the unit or in the shop manual.

When you re-clocking the airbag contact unit a good trick is to remove the grossly over engineered small metal spring loaded “Rotation Lock” on the face of the unit used to lock the contact unit into the proper position when reinstalling the steering wheel.

On my car it was bent and had broken free from the contact unit some time in the past. I removed it and just used a long piece of electrical tape to hold the contact unit in the proper rotation position. Thread the tape through the steering wheel using the same hole the wires from the contact unit pass through. Once the steering wheel is placed over the correctly positioned contact unit and the airbag contact unit’s pin is in its slot on the steering wheel at 12 o’clock just pull the tape out through the wheel.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Old 07-01-2013, 07:49 PM
luckyJ
Pro

great...I guess the only way to "fix" this is to replace the whole assembly behind the steering wheel....was hoping I could take the assembly apart and .....

oh well...calling Sunset....

thank you
Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyJ
great...I guess the only way to "fix" this is to replace the whole assembly behind the steering wheel....was hoping I could take the assembly apart and .....

oh well...calling Sunset....

thank you
Sometimes you can find used ones, but you do take a risk.

I got one off evilBay for $120, and it has been fine for several years now. Sunset is probably the best price though for new.

Or maybe if you work quickly you can remove Mike's from his car tonite....After a few pitchers, he won't even notice it is missing.....

Are you bringing the targa or the C2S?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

I also waited at least a half hour from when I disconnected the battery to when I removed the airbag, based on previous posts. I guess to give any charge lingering a chance to bleed off, averting an inadvertent airbag deployment.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Originally Posted by Kika
Sometimes you can find used ones, but you do take a risk.

I got one off evilBay for $120, and it has been fine for several years now. Sunset is probably the best price though for new.

Or maybe if you work quickly you can remove Mike's from his car tonite....After a few pitchers, he won't even notice it is missing.....

Are you bringing the targa or the C2S?
just ordered from Sunset...was $380 or so....no stock so on order....

I guess the C2S b/c everytime I take the Targa out...I forget to cancel the turn signal and have peeps waving at me as if I'm

c u soon for
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

just ordered from Sunset...was $380 or so....no stock so on order....
:
I'm still up for helping you take Mike's out
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Just take a rubber band, loop it around the bottom of the stalk, pull it tight and tape it to the top of the steering column. Take another rubber band, loop it around the top of the stalk, pull it tight and tape it to the bottom of the steering column. Problem solved.

And leave my damn car alone.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 AM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys, my turn signals work but the lever does not reset to neutral after coming out of a turn....so the lever will lock up (right turn), or down (left turn) but does not return to the middle position after steering wheel rotates back to center...

has anyone experienced this before and would it be an easy fix?

thanks
Also take a look at this before you spend $400:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...6030&_from=R40

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Lever