Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it me or does this brake line flare look jacked?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Lets hope the guys at SN can find the parts quickly.

Oliver.....was that you in the polar silver 993 near New Haven CT? Those fister IIs were wailing.
That was me warming Kevin's car on my way to California..

Last edited by chsu74; 06-30-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
i believe it is hosed, and i believe these threads have a taper to them, not like usual machine threads, i dont think we can go in there and just tap it. but im curious what others will say.
I'm sorry, and I know this is not what you want to hear, but the threads are not tapered. This is not a pipe thread, its a hydraulic line and needs to sustain more pressure and a more positive seal than that of a pipe thread. But you guys already know that...

The seal is established by the radius of the hard line against the angled seat in the receiver (distributor box). The nut simply applies pressure for the radius to seal against the angled seat.

If the radius is effed up or scratched in the seal area, the line will not seal; and will leak/weep; and no amount of pressure on the nut will seal this leak.

Most guys tend to over tighten these seal areas, and cause more damage/issues down the road than they realize. For some bizarre reason they do the same to the bleeder valves on the calipers, as well.

Yes, you can run a bottom tap into the junction box, and you should be OK, but you will want to wad up some paper towel and push it into the box to make sure no burrs or pieces of metal remain in the hydraulic system (contamination). With the paper towel still in place, flush it liberally with brake cleaner and compressed air,

Although you have not validated the state of the radius on the hard line as being good with a radius gauge; I suspect you may need to replace it. As you know, if the radius of the hard line is cocked or scratched, and the nut is not contacting the flat back portion behind the radius, which provides an evenly distributed sealing pressure to the ball radius against the angle of the seat; you're gonna have sealing issues.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,421 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Lets hope the guys at SN can find the parts quickly.

Oliver.....was that you in the polar silver 993 near New Haven CT? Those fister IIs were wailing.
are you trying to give Kevin a heart attack?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if we ran a tap through the box the tap is going to hit the bubble flare seat and mess it up, so i dont think a tap is going to work regardless...
need to source a new distributor box...
Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

a bottoming tap should work ok.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
nine9six
Banned

if we ran a tap through the box the tap is going to hit the bubble flare seat and mess it up, so i dont think a tap is going to work regardless...
need to source a new distributor box...
Oh yee of such little faith...

I thought about that, and I dont think so...The peak of the threads of the bottom tap should be significantly higher up than the seal area of the seat; even if the tap does contact the seat.

P.S. A piece of thin cardboard, cut slightly over the bore size of the port, and pushed up over the paper towel will provide enough protection. Just dont get hamfisted with the bottom tap; you're not cutting new threads, just smoothing any irregularities to the existing ones.

P.S.S. If you want to validate precisely where the sealing area exists; apply a thin coat of machinist blue (aka engineering blue) to the seat and press your bubble flare into the pocket. The transmitted blue on bubble is the sealing area, as is the shiny area of the seat where the blue was removed.

If you dont want to try to fix your existing distro box for the cost of a bottom tap and maybe a new hard line (if the sealing radius is messed up); spend the $130 for the box and new line, and hope the same issue does not occur to any of the other three lines you're gonna have to remove and reconnect.

Have Oliver walk you through this...Its not difficult, but does take some time, patients, and feel with hand tools. Oh yeah, and think of the satisfaction you'll feel in saving a part that was not turned into scrap. That alone, should be worth the price of admission

Last edited by nine9six; 07-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM
nine9six
Banned

EMBPilot,
So what did you decide as your course of action? What's your status?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Still sourcing the stupid brake distributor fitting

Plan is to remove and replace + new RR hard line (again)
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 weeks wait up here in Canada for any kinda brake parts from Porsche.

125$ dist and a line that was over 40$

Now what do I do with my 3 weeks of no driving in summer
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
nine9six
Banned

Come on you guys...In that amount of time you could have fixed it 10 times over. I think you're just looking for a reason to drink
Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 AM
lopro
Banned

cheers detective but I think your alittle too sobor why don't you have another, cheers
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

lopro, what exactly prompted you to replace your front brake distributor fitting? what happened?

hopefully Quad will get these parts by mid next week, i'll have my car back, and we can get his off the lift lol

it is pretty cool to go out in my garage and have a Turbo in there!
and on the flip side, quads prob surprised to see what its like to have a garage with a clean car inside it!

Last edited by EMBPilot; 07-03-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

lopro, what exactly prompted you to replace your front brake distributor fitting? what happened?

hopefully Quad will get these parts by mid next week, i'll have my car back, and we can get his off the lift lol

it is pretty cool to go out in my garage and have a Turbo in there!
and on the flip side, quads prob surprised to see what its like to have a garage with a clean car inside it!
who says its clean at this point?

I'll tell you one thing, an NA 993 does pretty good donuts in the mud!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 PM
lopro
Banned

My fitting was crossthreaded in and the lines were old. it was leaking and the dist seemed to be corroded and damaged.

I just ordered new to save hassle.

The dist on this car looked to be from a salvageyard and it was previously installed incorrectly.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by lopro
cheers detective but I think your alittle too sobor why don't you have another, cheers
aight, hoo lef u in sharg?
Hell, I'm already hammered eight ways from Sunday. I find I do my best work in a drunken stupor...Oh, and just for grins and giggles;
its s-o-b-e-r (not sobor) and its y-o-u-'r-e (not your).
Oh no!!! I got to go get me another one; I'm starting to SOBOR up. My detective skills are rearing its ugly head again...Aaaaahaaah
Cheers to you too!
Have a Happy 4th of July, gentlemen!

Quick Reply: is it me or does this brake line flare look jacked?