Sponsored by:

Clutch slave bleed gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Clutch slave bleed gone bad?

OK, 96 993 clutch slave bleed went smoothly till I tightened the bleed screw and tried the clutch pedal.
The pedal sucked itself to the floorboard. Does this mean air in the system, or does this indicate that I need to bleed at the master as well?
Direction woujld be appreciated
Thanks fellas
Old 06-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went through this and did the exact same thing. When you bleed the clutch put as much fluid in the reservoir as it will take. The clutch circuit pulls from the rear of the reservoir but rather than pulling from the bottom like the brakes, it has a tube that pulls from near the top.

If the fluid dropped even a little below the "max" line you probably sucked air into the clutch system while trying to bleed it. When you do this the spring loaded clutch pedal slams into the floor since theres no hydraulic resistance.

Fill it right up and bleed it multiple times until the pedal hardens up, adding fluid each time to keep it full.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You may want to first try pumping the pedal with your hand to build up pressure. When I replaced my slave cylinder I had to pump like a hundred times before it came back to life.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a good point, if your bleeding with a pressure or vacuum bleeder it helps between bleed cycles to pump the pedal multiple times to help free any stubborn bubbles.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
I just went through this and did the exact same thing. When you bleed the clutch put as much fluid in the reservoir as it will take. The clutch circuit pulls from the rear of the reservoir but rather than pulling from the bottom like the brakes, it has a tube that pulls from near the top.

If the fluid dropped even a little below the "max" line you probably sucked air into the clutch system while trying to bleed it. When you do this the spring loaded clutch pedal slams into the floor since theres no hydraulic resistance.

Fill it right up and bleed it multiple times until the pedal hardens up, adding fluid each time to keep it full.
Top Gun hit the nail on the head, as this is exactly what seems to have occured.

So the fix is to keep bleeding, making sure I have a full brake reservoir while doing so, till the pedal comes back?

When I perform this procedure, do I start with the clutch pedal in the up position (I can pull it back up and it will stay due to the return spring tension) Or, do I leave it to the floor and start with the procedure? I'm inclined to pull the pedal back up and start there.
Any thoughts, advice, direction?

Oh yeah, using a Motive Power bleeder at the brake master reseviour and will pump between bleeds.

Tried pumping the clutch pedal by hand cause I need to pull it back to the top...That pedal feels like it has suction on it as it snatched the pedal from my hand as I tried the first pump and slammed the pedal to the floorboard. Hmmm, that cant be right...
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Pull it up and start from there. Don't worry...unless the slave cyl. is shot, it'll come back...But you must keep that reservoir topped up.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:18 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not in a hurry (i.e. need to finish this weekend) get the Motive Power bleeder. Seems like you just have to bleed it a few more times.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Pull it up and start from there. Don't worry...unless the slave cyl. is shot, it'll come back...But you must keep that reservoir topped up.
NC,
That was my thought as well. I pursued that course and now it's all jam up and jelly tight!

Thank you to all who responded and saw me through my mishap. You guys rock
Old 06-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO,.....based on some experience with this.

1. I use a pressure bleeder and I fill the bleeder reservoir just to keep this sort of thing from happening. In this fashion, you'll never have a reservoir go dry and have to start all over again. Brake/clutch fluid isn't expensive, really.

2. I go to great lengths to NEVER bottom a master cylinder (clutch or brake). This protects the seals from a premature failure due to being pushed over rough & corroded spots in the MC bore. Pumping the pedal to the floor is an accelerated path toward buying a new master cylinder.

I sure hope this helps save someone from an expensive & unnecessary expense.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 06-09-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
JMHO,.....based on some experience with this.

1. I use a pressure bleeder and I fill the reservoir just to keep this sort of thing from happening. In this fashion, you'll never have a reservoir go dry and have to start all over again. Brake/clutch fluid isn't expensive, really.

2. I go to great lengths to NEVER bottom a master cylinder (clutch or brake). This protects the seals from a premature failure due to being pushed over rough & corroded spots in the MC bore. Pumping the pedal to the floor is an accelerated path toward buying a new master cylinder.

I sure hope this helps save someone from an expensive & unnecessary expense.
Steve,
In reading my mishap and in your professional opinion, did I bottom my clutch master when bleeding and introducing air into the system?

I have read your cautionary note in item #2 before. Perhaps it was even a note by you in another post...

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Steve,
In reading my mishap and in your professional opinion, did I bottom my clutch master when bleeding and introducing air into the system?

I have read your cautionary note in item #2 before. Perhaps it was even a note by you in another post...

Thanks for chiming in!
If you bottomed the pedal while bleeding, yes you did,... One should not need to touch it during the process.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
If you bottomed the pedal while bleeding, yes you did,... One should not need to touch it during the process.
Yes Steve, I agree with you...But at the point when I initially depressed the clutch pedal, I was finished with the bleed and successful in flushing the old fluid. Clutch slave bleed screw was completely closed, but the Motive power bleeder was still connected to the brake master; (which should not have made a difference.) Right? Since there was very little fluid (abt 3/16") remaining in the Motive bleeder, I can only assume I sucked air at some point.

After repeating the process (sans the air sucking portion), I currently have a good healthy clutch pedal. Just gonna have to hope any crap build up was negligible and that I didn't damage the seal. Records show new clutch slave installed in 2010, so knock on wood
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
The clutch circuit pulls from the rear of the reservoir but rather than pulling from the bottom like the brakes, it has a tube that pulls from near the top.
It doesn't really pull it from the top, but the clutch has its own compartment in the brake fluid reservoir at the back (rear of car). Its a wall separating it from the brake sections, so that fluid remains if the brakes leaked out completely & vice versa. The only way to fill that rear compartment is to have fluid flow over the top of the wall, so keeping the reservoir filled way up is key.

Many of us have made this exact same error in bleeding the clutch...
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by kjr914
It doesn't really pull it from the top, but the clutch has its own compartment in the brake fluid reservoir at the back (rear of car). Its a wall separating it from the brake sections, so that fluid remains if the brakes leaked out completely & vice versa. The only way to fill that rear compartment is to have fluid flow over the top of the wall, so keeping the reservoir filled way up is key.

Many of us have made this exact same error in bleeding the clutch...
Ahhh, so if I understand you correctly Keith, it would have been better to have evacuated the brake fluid from the brake reserviour with a turkey baster; and bled the clutch slave by pumping fluid in from the bleed screw on the clutch slave?

This method would seem to "push" air out of the system which is the purpose of bleeding in the first place, right?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Let me jump in here by saying, yes, but you shouldn't "push" initially because the clutch slave cyl. is the lowest point in the system. Crud and water will collect there. (Folks have been known to have their clutch slaves freeze up in cold weather because the water in the slave froze.) That's why it's important to evacuate it initially from the bottom. If you have trouble getting the air out, then you can "reverse flush" if need be because you will not be forcing contaminated fluid upwards into the reservoir.

Quick Reply: Clutch slave bleed gone bad?