Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Powder Coat Brakes? DIY or shop in Long Island/NYC area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Powder Coat Brakes? DIY or shop in Long Island/NYC area?

My car is out of commission for the summer, so I was thinking about powder coating the brakes while it's getting the motor redone.

Is this something easily DIY-able?

If not, can anyone recommend a shop in the NY or Long Island area? What should I expect for cost?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

If a shop is doing the engine work, they should be able to point you in the right direction....
Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my bar powdercoated at a place in Huntington...can't recall the name. Reasonable price though, and can't be too many out there.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

'Detailing Dynamics' in Mineola...don't go anywhere else. Google them - you'll thank me. See some of the cars they worked on (website). I attended a catered BBQ a few weeks ago they held for their customers on a Sunday (when they're normally closed) and the turnout was amazing. Yes, they're those types of people!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 PM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quite satisfied with my DIY result using VHT spray paint. Very rewarding to see the transformation. I debated powder-coating but figured there was nothing to lose but time and $35 of materials if it didn't work out. I cured them in my regular oven (the day before thanksgiving much to my wifes frustration), and they really turned out beautiful. Once cured the VHT paint is extremely chemical resistant and very durable.

VHT High temp RED, several clear layers, then a flat white VHT for the Porsche logo using a custom stencil made from vinyl printer.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I use G2 two-part paint - works like a charm, been doing it for years.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by G-MASSA

VHT High temp RED, several clear layers, then a flat white VHT for the Porsche logo using a custom stencil made from vinyl printer.
Why is it that when I clear coat with VHT brand and cure in an oven, my clear turns to brown every time ?
I thought it was the oven, so the last time I heated the oven, unplugged the cord, and put the caliper inside, the clear turned to brown.
I tried with VHT SP730 Gloss Clear and the SP145 Gloss Clear, no luck
what am I doing wrong
Old 05-23-2013, 02:13 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe you don't cure Clear coat. That is my guess. I do not know though because I haven't done it yet.

I do know that my Brembos on my STi turned brownish after my first track day which leads me to believe that the Clear coat turned brown from the heat. This would correspond with what you experienced. This is just a guess though.

--Michael
Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

VHT caliper paint used also on a recent refresh of some p-car calipers. Yeah, it's not a 993, but we're on the topic of calipers. These happen to be on an 04 Cayenne S with 150K miles.

I did the clear after the color coat as well. Did not cure the final coats. This truck will not see a track or hard braking, there will be a small risk of yellowing or browning.

Looks like new!

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-calipers.html
Old 05-29-2013, 05:28 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
Why is it that when I clear coat with VHT brand and cure in an oven, my clear turns to brown every time ?
I thought it was the oven, so the last time I heated the oven, unplugged the cord, and put the caliper inside, the clear turned to brown.
I tried with VHT SP730 Gloss Clear and the SP145 Gloss Clear, no luck
what am I doing wrong
Did you cure the color layer(s) under the clear first before application and cure of the clear? Maybe the color(s) or marque sticker are outgassing . . just a guess.

I've cured the VHT clear with no issues, but that was over black powder coat and white stickers. Maybe I can't see the brown
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

On the VHT website, the curing option listed two options.

1. Use the oven, 200*F, 1 hour
2. The inherent heat of braking operation will also accomplish curing.

I chose #2. No yellowing or browning.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my nasty looking black calipers blasted, refinished and fully rebuilt by Golden Brakes in Washington State. They only do a light clear coat over the Porsche logo and not the whole caliper. Said it keeps the caliper color from going bad. If you are refinishing, you should have them rebuilt with new seals, etc...

When I painted the rotor 'hats' with the high temp paint. The can said to cure the paint at 1000 degree F for about an hour. I used my kitchen stove in the self-clean mode. They seem to come out fine and have held up for several years now.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted330
I was thinking about powder coating the brakes.... Is this something easily DIY-able?
Yes. Here's my version.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Powder Coat Brakes? DIY or shop in Long Island/NYC area?