Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has done the "Emergency unlocking of the door using the key"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Who has done the "Emergency unlocking of the door using the key"?

The "Emergency unlocking of the door using the key" process is in the workshop manual and the owner's manual. Last week I tried to use this procedure and couldn't get it to work. I didn't 'need' to use the procedure I just wanted to make sure I know how to do it.

The first step is to silence the alarm and get inside the car. This is the step that wouldn't work for me, "Use the key to unlock - lock - unlock the door within 5 seconds." The manual says the alarm will be temporarily silenced after 1 second. When I tried this the horn makes a short beep at the first unlock, then I lock and unlock. The car locks and unlocks but there is no other indication of anything happening. Then when I open the door the alarm sounds and I have to use the fob to turn it off.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 236 Posts

When you lock the door with the fob, do you get a flash sequence on the door LEDs? If it's more than a single flash then there is a problem with the security system. One of the door microswitchs may be in need of attention. I had to tweak my trunk switch to get it to switch.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IainM
When you lock the door with the fob, do you get a flash sequence on the door LEDs? If it's more than a single flash then there is a problem with the security system. One of the door microswitchs may be in need of attention. I had to tweak my trunk switch to get it to switch.
The alarm system indicates that it is okay, single flash after the test.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got locked out due to dead fob battery.
Just above zero F at a fairly remote airport.
Unlocked with the key.....scrambled to find the secret key sequence code and of course ran out of time.
Ended up disconnecting the battery to silence the alarm.
My dearly beloved arrived about a half hour later with my spare fob and a warm car.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993/907
I got locked out due to dead fob battery.
Just above zero F at a fairly remote airport.
Unlocked with the key.....scrambled to find the secret key sequence code and of course ran out of time.
Ended up disconnecting the battery to silence the alarm.
My dearly beloved arrived about a half hour later with my spare fob and a warm car.
It appears from the description in the manuals that using the key to unlock-lock-unlock the door silences the alarm for two minutes while you enter the immo code to bypass the immobilizer. Was that your experince? Did your alarm stop for two minutes?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
The "Emergency unlocking of the door using the key" process is in the workshop manual and the owner's manual. Last week I tried to use this procedure and couldn't get it to work. I didn't 'need' to use the procedure I just wanted to make sure I know how to do it.

The first step is to silence the alarm and get inside the car. This is the step that wouldn't work for me, "Use the key to unlock - lock - unlock the door within 5 seconds." The manual says the alarm will be temporarily silenced after 1 second. When I tried this the horn makes a short beep at the first unlock, then I lock and unlock. The car locks and unlocks but there is no other indication of anything happening. Then when I open the door the alarm sounds and I have to use the fob to turn it off.
you need the 4 digit key card #
then
1) w/i 5 sec using the key unlock, lock, unlock the door, the alarm horn will sound briefly

2) w/i 10sec the ignition key must be turned to position 2, the immobilizer light comes on

3) w/i 100 secs the 4 digit code must be entered w/ the key

entering the code #s
1) after the immobilizer light goes off the ignition must be switched off then on to pos 2 w/i 5 sec, the immobilizer light will come on again

2) the immobilizer light will begin flash after 10 sec, you must start to enter the codes #s w/i 5 sec of that event

3) each digit is entered by switching the ign off then on(pos 2) ex digit 2 is off-on-off-on

4) wait 3 sec after each digit, the immobilizer light signals readiness to accept the next digit by coming on

do not remove the key or the immobilizer will rearm after 90 sec
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
then
1) w/i 5 sec using the key unlock, lock, unlock the door, the alarm horn will sound briefly

2) w/i 10sec the ignition key must be turned to position 2, the immobilizer light comes on

entering the code #s
1) after the immobilizer light goes off the ignition must be switched off then on to pos 2 w/i 5 sec, the immobilizer light will come on again

2) the immobilizer light will begin flash after 10 sec, you must start to enter the codes #s w/i 5 sec of that event

3) each digit is entered by switching the ign off then on(pos 2) ex digit 2 is off-on-off-on

4) wait 3 sec after each digit, the immobilizer light signals readiness to accept the next digit by coming on

Thank you Bill. That's what I'm trying to do but I can't get through 1) w/i 5 sec using the key unlock, lock, unlock the door, the alarm horn will sound briefly. When I unlock the car there is one very short beep. When I continue with the lock and unlock the alarm doesn't do anything. When I open the door the alarm goes off and keeps going till I turn it off with the fob.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong in the unlock-lock-unlock sequence/timing or if there is something wrong with my alarm system.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I remember, the alarm does stop sounding for two minutes. You may want to scan your car and see if the microswitch in the door lock cylinder is responding.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tim. I have the Durametric. I'll see if it will check the switch.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears from the description in the manuals that using the key to unlock-lock-unlock the door silences the alarm for two minutes while you enter the immo code to bypass the immobilizer. Was that your experince? Did your alarm stop for two minutes?
Nope, I disconnected the battery to stop the alarm....probably in less than two minutes.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

damn immobilizer!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
damn immobilizer!
This discussion is about the alarm system. Completely different thing except for the fob operates both.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 384 Posts

Thank you Bill. That's what I'm trying to do but I can't get through 1) w/i 5 sec using the key unlock, lock, unlock the door, the alarm horn will sound briefly. When I unlock the car there is one very short beep. When I continue with the lock and unlock the alarm doesn't do anything. When I open the door the alarm goes off and keeps going till I turn it off with the fob.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong in the unlock-lock-unlock sequence/timing or if there is something wrong with my alarm system.
When opening the door the key must be held in the unlocked position while the door is opened

once the door is open the key may be released and removed

the horn can be deactivated for 2 min but the lights will continue to flash

This all reminds me of the old instructions we were given as kids in the event of nuclear attack
1) bend over
2) place head between knees
3) kiss you *** goodbye
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

This discussion is about the alarm system. Completely different thing except for the fob operates both.
i assoicate the two together..... dated as they are
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
then

entering the code #s

Thanks for the detailed write-up Bill but what a PITA. I'll need to print this off and put it in the car or...I'll just disconnect the battery.

Quick Reply: Who has done the "Emergency unlocking of the door using the key"?