Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mike J's 8th Annual pcarworkshop BBQ and Polish-Your-Top-Party - August 10th, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Mike J's 8th Annual pcarworkshop BBQ and Polish-Your-Top-Party - August 10th, 2013

I would like to host Mike J's 8th annual shop day this year on Saturday, August 10, 2013.

I have had a lot of positive response on the idea of a detailing DIY session combined with a shop day, so I am going with that this year. This year will be a "polish your top" detailing workshop and shop day (now that your bottoms are clean from last year...).

I am playing with a few ideas on the theme, one is having a donor car and a judged competition on polishing and detailing. I will work out more details as we get closer to the event, but if someone wants their car be the focus of the detailing (preferably a car that really needs it), shoot me a PM and we can talk.

I will have a washing station setup, so if anyone wants to run through the whole process (wash, clay, polish, wax...) it should be possible. I am sure there will be lots of hands that will want to help.

In the background, the shop/lift/tools will be open as usual, although I will be assisting a bit less on the mechanics this year since I am interested in the detailing stuff as well. First come-first served as usual.

Schedule:
9:00 - The shop is open for mechanical work.

10:00 - Detailing workshop starts

11:30 on - The BBQ will be fired up for lunch depending on the appetites etc (maybe earlier!!)

5:00 - wrap-up

Directions: Click here for a map to 5691 Bessborough Drive Burnaby, British Columbia

Hopefully the weather will be great! Even if it's raining the shop is large enough to have at least two-three cars undercover.

It would be great if those coming would either post or PM me so I have an idea on how much supplies/food we will be needing...

This is a Porsche event, not a 993 only event, and all the models are welcome of course.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I would like to host Mike J's 8th annual shop day this year on Saturday, August 10, 2013.

I have had a lot of positive response on the idea of a detailing DIY session combined with a shop day, so I am going with that this year. This year will be a "polish your top" detailing workshop and shop day (now that your bottoms are clean from last year...).

I am playing with a few ideas on the theme, one is having a donor car and a judged competition on polishing and detailing. I will work out more details as we get closer to the event, but if someone wants their car be the focus of the detailing (preferably a car that really needs it), shoot me a PM and we can talk.

I will have a washing station setup, so if anyone wants to run through the whole process (wash, clay, polish, wax...) it should be possible. I am sure there will be lots of hands that will want to help.

In the background, the shop/lift/tools will be open as usual, although I will be assisting a bit less on the mechanics this year since I am interested in the detailing stuff as well. First come-first served as usual.

Schedule:
9:00 - The shop is open for mechanical work.

10:00 - Detailing workshop starts

11:30 on - The BBQ will be fired up for lunch depending on the appetites etc (maybe earlier!!)

5:00 - wrap-up

Directions: Click here for a map to 5691 Bessborough Drive Burnaby, British Columbia

Hopefully the weather will be great! Even if it's raining the shop is large enough to have at least two-three cars undercover.

It would be great if those coming would either post or PM me so I have an idea on how much supplies/food we will be needing...

This is a Porsche event, not a 993 only event, and all the models are welcome of course.

Cheers,

Mike
I wish I lived closer. Coming from Chicago is a long trip! It would be cool to meet you since I have gotten so much use out of your site.
--Michael
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike, let me be the first to sign up!. I know we talked about my car being a donor but by then I should have gotten round to doing a full detail myself ... in fact I finally had some time to wash it two weeks ago!!

- Frank
Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frankv
Hi Mike, let me be the first to sign up!. I know we talked about my car being a donor but by then I should have gotten round to doing a full detail myself ... in fact I finally had some time to wash it two weeks ago!!

- Frank
Fingers still crossed that procrastination rules!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Mike, looking forward to it!! Do you need any parts? I can bring'em up! but only those that will fit into the interior of the 993.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike...I just saw this and let me also throw my hat (car) into the festivities. It has been far too long since I have been up and I am looking forward to it. I am sure that I can talk Scott and his Iris Blue twin to mine into coming with me, so put us both down. As it gets closer, let us know what to bring. Thanks for hosting!!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Me and my brother are in!

Maybe I can find you a donor car too, will keep you posted.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike, out of curiosity, what's the longest distance driven to date?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good question, not really sure. Most of the guys are local or Seattle area, some from Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands. Mix of Canadians and Americans. Its a long drive from CA for instance for a day in a shop ... :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in, Look forward for it!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man, wish I could make it. Nothing beats Seattle and Vancouver.

I think the most 911's I've ever seen is in Vancouver...what's up with that?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Mike of course you know I'm in. Just happen to be a detailer, looks like I have a lot of crap to bring up….

I do have a couple of cool pneumatic polishers that work great on Porsches.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Mike of course you know I'm in. Just happen to be a detailer, looks like I have a lot of crap to bring up….

I do have a couple of cool pneumatic polishers that work great on Porsches.
Great, had no doubt you would come up Mike! Those polishers need a good air supply?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Great, had no doubt you would come up Mike! Those polishers need a good air supply?

Cheers,

Mike
anything over 8CFM will work fine. I just got a 30gal compressor at home.

If anyone want to try stuff, I just ask that you bring your own pads, any 6-8in velcro backed will work fine. Then 3in for the small spot polishers.

These are the pads that I found work best…
http://www.autogeek.net/lakecountry....FYF7QgodNzMAiA

Or we can do a collection and I can just order some pads. You can destroy one very quickly if your not careful. The ones I have are no longer made and my stash is small, so basically I want to save for my cars and not share.

I have the full line of Menzerna Pro polishes and some 3m ones. Sadly quite a few wax/sealents. 2 all in ones that work ok. I'll just bring the easy to use ones.

Then of course the most important thing to proper detailing, LIGHTS, lots of hi-power lights!

Mike, I'm sure you know from doing your car, a full polish takes at least 4 hours on a 993 and 8-12 on a neglected one. I have 1 big rotary polisher, 3 different types of 6in DA's then 1 3in DA, 1 3in rotary. Maybe we say just do trouble spots or hoods.

We will also need tape, lots of blue/green tape, I tend to remove what ever I can to cut down on taping, it also lets the pads last a lot longer.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

** Bump **

There as been lots of interest in this detailing workshop to date - I think its going to be a lot of fun (and perhaps a bit controversial.. :- ).

Rob and Mike have both volunteered to step through and demonstrate their approaches, which is great! I am sure everyone will have some opinions... the objective at the end of the day is to have a good time, and perhaps learn some things, and take some of the mystery out of the whole detailing process.

Not quite sure of our format yet, still looking for a donor 993. I have a few candidates in mind, but worse case, my wife's 2011 Subie will be looking really good by end of day!

I can setup the shop so we can have a few cars being polished at the same time, we have plenty of water, power and lighting. I am playing with the idea of setting up a group order for pads/products (I use Autogeek and Lake Country Pads/Menzerna polishes as well) as part of the event, but that may be putting the cart ahead of the horse given people will need to learn through the day and come to their own conclusions on what products they want to use.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Mike J's 8th Annual pcarworkshop BBQ and Polish-Your-Top-Party - August 10th, 2013