Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

RL/ PCA member's little 993 Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the recipient of Greg's '87 Targa model (he's my son). Trust me, it is spectacular. I owned the original for many years, and it is a perfect match.

Last edited by RFMASSA; 05-26-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RFMASSA
I was the recipient of Greg's '87 Targa model (he's my son). Trust me, it is spectacular. I owned the original for many years, and it is a prefect match.
He did a great job.

Actually, there are more updates, I just try to stay one step ahead of this thread.

Cheers!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-15-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

I've had to grind out more of the leading inner door jamb. I thought about using doors from another model that already has hinges, but doors across manufacturers never fit right. Tried AutoArt, slightly different. So have to custom make hinges I guess.

Leading inner 'frame' of the door is cut out too now. Vertical brass rod to be the hinge. Conveniently, on the WB models, there is a nice little notch in the rocker that is a great spot where the rod can be attached. No pics of this yet.

Still wondering how I can make the hinge stiff enough so the door doesn't rotate out when it feels like it. Still need some UT models and parts, if anyone has some.

This month may be really slow in this front.

Take care,

Last edited by FrenchToast; 07-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Whew. Due for an update.

You can see where the rest of the inner jamb is cut out. And also (blurry) on the other side is the in-progress custom door panel with strap. Upper pull strap isn't there yet.

Have a happy July 4th!
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2013, 10:50 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Sorry guys. Really need an update here, but its going to be a while until I get much more, especially pictures.

Got some seats for the car. They are resin reproductions of the seats used in the 1:18 UT Carrera RS. They look spot on.

A better set of gauges has been added to the spec sheet for these two cars. The UT dashboard comes with a pretty sorry-looking sticker for all five gauges. In fact, the current plan is to entirely replace the dashboard with a much groovier unit out of another 1:18.

The cut line for the bodywork is probably going to look like something below. (Edit: this idea has been nixed).

For the doors, I think I've figured out a way to make a two-position door arrester that can hold it in either open or closed position.

I'm sure many of you have wondered why I don't take a Carrera S and cut the roof off? Well, I could do that. But that doesn't give the correct cabriolet profile. It also leaves vestiges of the coupe.

Edit: cutting the roof off of a Carrera S is the best route, for a variety of reasons. The most important is that there is no cutting around the doors, engine lid, and trunk which would cause panel alignment issues.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 11-12-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Finding tires for this model has been harder than it sounds. Because I can't make tires, I need to source already existing tires to build the custom wheels to fit inside of.

The Twists shown I realize are 18" in real life, however they measure closer to 19" in scale. I have taken into account that a wheel's visible lip is not the measured diameter.

Take care,
Attached Images   

Last edited by FrenchToast; 11-12-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:15 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

A rendering of the wheel center.

No centercap on it as I'm thinking that is going to be a second piece, concealing a mounting screw.

Happy New Year!
Attached Images  

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-30-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:38 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Can't say I like looking at the date of the most recent post here!

Things got in the way, and still do.

Below is what I found to mockup the speedster decklid and windscreen fitment. Before I cut off the rest of the roof, of course!

I found it like this, and thought it would be good for mockup purposes (UT 993s all use the same basic shell).

Also these have been collecting dust. Carefully replicated based on many pictures (and completely redesigned from the rendering above).

Does need a slight redesign. But for now they've been replaced by Speedlines!

More next decade! Erm.... hopefully sooner

Last edited by FrenchToast; 04-30-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:45 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome!

I'm part way through creating an amaranth violet narrow-body coupe to match my real car. Donor car is a silver UT. Mods will be limited to wheels and converting the seats to softbacks sport seats. I found a set of decals online that include carrera badges in several sizes.

I hope you keep posting pics
Old 11-11-2017, 09:03 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
I'm part way through creating an amaranth violet narrow-body coupe to match my real car. Donor car is a silver UT. Mods will be limited to wheels and converting the seats to softbacks sport seats. I found a set of decals online that include carrera badges in several sizes.
Glad you found decals. I was looking for Carrera decals and ended up having them custom made.

Softback sport seat conversion could prove difficult. I have seen softback sport seats in 1:18, however they have the earlier stitching pattern (85-93).

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
I hope you keep posting pics
Thank you!

Need more time to work on it.

Roof came off the GT2 for further prototyping work.

Vestiges of drip rails were shaved down, as were the molded-in side repeaters.

Needs filler at the front and rear cowls, panel gap in place of old drip rail, and significant reshaping of the clamshell. The rear section of the clamshell needs to be lengthened about .25" / 6mm, the humps reworked and leading edge reconstructed. It may be easier to model and print a new clamshell.

After searching for roughly a year, I found a set of UT Speedlines in good shape (I had not yet cleaned them in this photo). UT really did a stunning job on these, far more accurate than the GT Spirit pieces.

Also is a sample of some of the decals, with many spares for mistakes. The silver is a metallic ink.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 11-12-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: RL/ PCA member's little 993 Speedster